Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: O2 cdrom woes
Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:19 pm 

The long version:

Okay, so I just received my first O2, and everythings cool. I go to try to play a cd, and the cdrom door is stuck. After poping it open with a paper clip, I thought, "a gentle tug, and I'm set." I tugged a little too hard, and I heard (and felt) a light snap. The drive refused to open or close after that. Yes, I'm aware I should have used the paper clip at the same time as pushing the eject button, so as to let the motor do the work. Thinking I might be able to fix it, I removed the drive, and opened it. Upon loosening the PCB in the drive, I was awarded with a small white gear upon my kitchen table. Somehow, I doubt I'll be able to fix it.

The short version:

Anyone got an O2 compatible (and I mean bootable) cdrom (or dvd) drive to sell (and price, shipped to 53916)?

EDIT ** I just bought an nec 3010a off of ebay, so that's solved. You can all just enjoy my klutziness.

Last edited by TaoTeCheese on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: O2 cdrom woes
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:58 am 

TaoTeCheese wrote:
The long version:

Okay, so I just received my first O2, and everythings cool. I go to try to play a cd, and the cdrom door is stuck. After poping it open with a paper clip, I thought, "a gentle tug, and I'm set." I tugged a little too hard, and I heard (and felt) a light snap. The drive refused to open or close after that. Yes, I'm aware I should have used the paper clip at the same time as pushing the eject button, so as to let the motor do the work. Thinking I might be able to fix it, I removed the drive, and opened it. Upon loosening the PCB in the drive, I was awarded with a small white gear upon my kitchen table. Somehow, I doubt I'll be able to fix it.

The short version:

Anyone got an O2 compatible (and I mean bootable) cdrom (or dvd) drive to sell (and price, shipped to 53916)?

Sorry to hear about that. My O2 came with a duff cdrom.

I replaced it with an external SGI cdrom (the black one in the large granite enclosure - sorry I can't remember the manufacturer). I just took the O2 apart and swapped them over. Ironically, it was the same model :)

I know that people here will have several recommendations for models that are compatible though.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:48 am 

The sgi cdrom drives are all toshiba, as far as I know.
But mine it behaving really weird: it just tosses every cd out, it doesn't want to close :cry:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:27 am 

Bluefan wrote:
But mine it behaving really weird: it just tosses every cd out, it doesn't want to close :cry:

Sounds like a good defence mechanism in case someone sneaks up behind you and tells you not to turn around ;) Get a sharpened steel disk that's the size of a cdrom and fire it out of your O2 :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:50 am 

Bluefan wrote:
Yep, that's the sign of a broken gear inside... It's probably a component that's worth $0.2, but kills the whole deal... I have 5-6 CD-ROMs that died like that... Diego reported to have fixed quite a few with super glue, so there is hope!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:22 am 

unixmuseum wrote:
Bluefan wrote:
Yep, that's the sign of a broken gear inside... It's probably a component that's worth $0.2, but kills the whole deal... I have 5-6 CD-ROMs that died like that... Diego reported to have fixed quite a few with super glue, so there is hope!

Is that a possibility?
I have two drives behaving like this, I had opened a seperate thread for it, but it got not much respone, guess it's some sort of a specific problem.
It's really wierd having a drive colsed and showing up as open. When you open the drive, it showes up as closed, but the drive won't close after that!
The funny thing is it worked without a problem during the install :?
But I'll check the gears, one of the little white gears got off during this behaviour of the drive, maybe it does make a difference.