External Storage Options for O2 (Let's aggregate)

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
fu

External Storage Options for O2 (Let's aggregate)

Unread postby fu » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:54 pm

I'm looking for an external SCSI case to hook up to my O2. Now, after diggin deep in the crates i found some posts dealing with storage options for O2 (some are RAID/External related some are just about HDs):

Adaptors and SCA drives
SGI RAID Tower
SGI RAID issues
SGI Raid Arrays DS1100 et simile
setting adaptec cotroller on sgi 02
Problems with Differential and Single Ended SCSI
o2 hard drive recommendation
new 15k SCA Disks in 02???
Need SCSI help building ghetto Stone array

Though some helpful bits + pieces could be gathered from these posts, none provides a good starting point, so in the spirit of aggregation i'd be grateful if anyone who has some kind of external storage attached to his/her O2 posts the make/model/specs here, so i can update the The O2 Hardware Aggregator

For example:

What should I keep in mind while looking for an external SCSI case + HDs?

traktopel wrote:The O2 scsi HBA is Single Ended (SE) SCSI and IBM drives are LVD. It might be not only a SYNC or NEGO issue but due to LVD to SE conversion .
I have heard that the Adaptec chip and IBM DDYS drives might have troubles in some cases.
I know I should not say that be if you have a PC with an Adaptec 2940 you can test the same config and might not work as well... :(

Check if drives have a "Force SE mode" jumper....

ShadeOfBlue wrote:Be sure to enable parity on any drive that you intend to use in an SGI. Most drives have a jumper and some can do it by themselves

LoWeN wrote:Be aware that U320 harddrives are not compatible below UW.So it will works with octane/O2/O200...

What non-sgi makes/models work with the O2?

I seel lots of Sun StoreEdge cases on eBay, lately most of them are SCA ready: like StorEdge 711

zolotroph

Unread postby zolotroph » Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:29 pm

You'll get better bang for your buck if you look at fibre channel arrays. They're less popular than SCSI arrays on eBay, so you can generally get a better $ per GB ratio. Just drop a Q-Logic QLA2200 in your O2's PCI slot and pick up a rackmount fibre JBOD. You can always pick up some fibre optic MIAs down the road and put that noisy array down in the basement or in another room, connected by a nifty orange fibre optic cable.

You'll also have greater bandwidth, since the O2's SCSI is limited to 40MB/sec. The Qlogic card will give you over 90MB/sec. throughput, provided your array can saturate the interface.

QuicksilverG4

Unread postby QuicksilverG4 » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:05 pm

This is tempting me...

[ebay] 10-drive ATA to SCSI Array

I've got a mini 3-drive version that's been discussed here before:

SCSI->ATA Bridge Questions

Mine is limited to <= 120GB drives so it maxes out at 360GB. But I'm pretty sure the model linked to above is the Maxtronic Industrial II which has > 120GB drive support. For $500 you already get 630GB = $0.79/GB with the potential to go even higher with bigger drives. This model was available in single or dual channel Ultra2 SCSI though it sounds like this is a single channel version.

Dr. Dave

Unread postby Dr. Dave » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:16 pm

zolotroph wrote:You'll get better bang for your buck if you look at fibre channel arrays. They're less popular than SCSI arrays on eBay, so you can generally get a better $ per GB ratio. Just drop a Q-Logic QLA2200 in your O2's PCI slot and pick up a rackmount fibre JBOD. You can always pick up some fibre optic MIAs down the road and put that noisy array down in the basement or in another room, connected by a nifty orange fibre optic cable.

You'll also have greater bandwidth, since the O2's SCSI is limited to 40MB/sec. The Qlogic card will give you over 90MB/sec. throughput, provided your array can saturate the interface.

It works too, I have one here. Though it's been sitting for a while as I haven't had time to tweak it all up, also I have a new set of disks to install.

recondas

Re: External Storage Options for O2 (Let's aggregate)

Unread postby recondas » Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:34 pm

fu wrote:What should I keep in mind while looking for an external SCSI case + HDs?

What non-sgi makes/models work with the O2?

I seel lots of Sun StoreEdge cases on eBay, lately most of them are SCA ready: like StorEdge 711

Ok, you've been given some good advice reference fibre vs SCSI, but since you asked for SCSI:

I currently use a StorageEdge 711 on one of my O2's <with the drives striped w/XLV>. The 711 came in 6 and 12 drive versions, as well as fast-wide and ultra-fast wide SCSI flavors. I've got at least one of all the above all have/do work with the O2. I'd avoid 711 cases that don't come with the Sun drive spuds <think sleds>, the spuds could easily cost more than the case. I like the 711 cases - relatively small foot print and not too loud considering the number of drives it holds.

I have several StoreEdge 611 cases. The ones I have are 68pin external interface - SCA connection for the <single>drive. I use one with an 18 gig drive as an IRIX install disk.

I have a couple of Sun D1000 arrays and briefly used one with the O2 <too big and too loud to suit me for 24/7 operation>. The D1000 connects via high voltage differential SCSI - the drives are SE or LVD SCSI. I used an Adaptec 2944 in the O2 to provide an external HVD SCSI port.

I picked up a Medea VideoRAID 4/320 a while back and have used it with an O2 <tho it's currently connected to a PowerMac G4>. The Medea has four 7200RPM IDE drives internally but connects via a wide SCSI interface.

choza

Unread postby choza » Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:44 pm

mmhhh would like to know how about this card:
QLA2202F and the question goes not only to the O2 but the rest of the hardware Octanes, origins, onyxes etc..
a hardware aggregator part of the site apart of the forum would rock :D

Ga53n

Unread postby Ga53n » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:48 am

I would go for some external RAID-boxes.
My company uses some of these quite successfully. I do not know about IRIX but they just guve you one big volume, since the RAID is handeled internally.

http://www.storcase.com/infostation/16bay3u_scsi.asp
---

it's a means to an end

fu

Unread postby fu » Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:00 am

thanks for the feedback everyone,

truth is that i'm looking for a deskside/desktop (i.e. small size) SCSI option, so Fibre Channel is not an option for me mainly because of limited space (u can't have a rackmount on your desk :)), but feedback on FC is also appreciated since I'll update the The O2 Hardware Aggregator as well.

Tom: I saw the Maxtronic you put on eBay sometime ago a bit too late, i'd have bought this baby..

Hakimoto + Recondas: thanks for clearing out the StorEdge question

zafunk

Unread postby zafunk » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:32 am

fu wrote:truth is that i'm looking for a deskside/desktop (i.e. small size) SCSI option, so Fibre Channel is not an option...

Sure it is.... check out the Keeper's site, he has compact FC solutions:

http://www.ckcomputersystems.com/ckcs/catalog/default.php

I've bought a number of bits from Chris. Drop him a line, he can help guide you to a suitable solution.
Last edited by zafunk on Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

fu

Unread postby fu » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:39 am

zafunk wrote:Sure you can.... check out the Keeper's site, he has compact FC solutions:

http://www.ckcomputersystems.com/ckcs/catalog/default.php

I've bought a number of bits from Chris. Drop him a line, he can help guide you to a suitable solution.

ahaaa, thanks for the linky zaf,

as far as it's not a huge rackmount, it's under consideration :D

choza wrote:...a hardware aggregator part of the site apart of the forum would rock :D

agreed: c'mon people, start gathering info about the machines you love+use and just put it in one place, it's not that hard :wink:...(me) being a newbie in the sg:i:rix game, i started the 02 Aggregator to make it easier for everyone...

start hittin' it zen-style kids...

Return to “SGI: Hardware”