WTB: Cherokee PSU FOUND

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
JacquesT

WTB: Cherokee PSU FOUND

Unread postby JacquesT » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 am

My Cherokee I bought on eBay went 'poof' after 2 months, so I'm looking for a replacement. Due to weight I suspect UK and mainland EU would be the only real options for not-so-stupid shipping costs.

I'm going to be upfront and say I'm willing to spend up to £50 + shipping for a good working unit as this is purely hobby related.

Thanks.
    Last edited by JacquesT on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    :Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

Irinikus

Re: WTB: Cherokee PSU

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:17 am

Isn’t it possible to recap the blown power supply that you have? Or is the problem not capacitor related?
    Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    Image ... Image
    Image ........................ Image
    Image ........................ Image Image

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:36 am

Irinikus wrote:Isn’t it possible to recap the blown power supply that you have? Or is the problem not capacitor related?

It's not caps related, the power input circuit blew near the relay area. The unit emitted a weird warbling noise from the same area before it went poof! I opened it up and it was well cooked, it's now decorating the 'metal only' chute at our local recycling centre! :)
    :Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:36 am

It's a pity you didn't take any photo's of the blown circuitry, as this could be a weak spot in the design, that can maybe be fixed before it fails catastrophically.
    Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
    Image ... Image

spiroyster
    Donor
    Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:37 am

Pm'd ;)

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:06 pm

Irinikus wrote:It's a pity you didn't take any photo's of the blown circuitry, as this could be a weak spot in the design, that can maybe be fixed before it fails catastrophically.

;) Have camera, will take photos! There is no way to get a camera in to the area in question though, it's under the heatsink of the row of voltage regulators.

Trying to get to the component(s) that failed will be a pita! I've indicated the area in question on the images. There were loads of dust balls between the component pins, not sure if these could cause a short?

(Ignore "Inout side" typo on first speech bubble!)

I have loads of photos of the Cherokee PSU if anybody wants to see them, took them when cleaning the fan.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcsfGEM

spiroyster wrote:Pm'd ;)

Thanks, hope you can find something! :)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Thanks for posting the pics! :D

I for one haven't seen the inside of one of these units before, so this is rather informative, as it shows that they didn't glue the components together, as you often see in switch-mode power supplies. this makes it easier to service.

As for the components underneath the heat sink, it will be interesting to see what's under there, as you will probably find that more than one of these units has failed in this way.
    Image ... Image

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 pm

It appears that there are a string of four TO-220 (or similar) three-leg components on that heatsink. A dentist's mirror would help in seeing what's printed on them.
    :PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

JacquesT

Re: WTB: Cherokee PSU FOUND

Unread postby JacquesT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Found thank you.

Return to “Hardware Wanted”