Broken CD drive in O2, cause of massive sys slowdown?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
japes
Donor
Donor

Re: Broken CD drive in O2, cause of massive sys slowdown?

Unread postby japes » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 pm

jan-jaap wrote:* Your system has a public IP address (172.25.x.y). That's uncommon and probably not what you want.

I agree DHCP can be...challenging on IRIX, however 172.25.x.y is a RFC 1918 private network address in the 172.16.0.0/12 block. Not my first choice for a client network, but a previous place I worked did that...until they realized they didn't allocate enough addresses and switched to an address scheme based in the 10.0.0.0/8 block.

Not sure if you can catch your slow down, but if it's CPU based perhaps you can get `top` running in a terminal before the slowdown passes?
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

japes
Donor
Donor

Re: Broken CD drive in O2, cause of massive sys slowdown?

Unread postby japes » Wed May 03, 2017 8:35 pm

blakespot wrote:I don't see nsswitch.conf anywhere on the box, as well.

The file should be in /etc. Perhaps `grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf` to see how it's configured. However you can set this from the GUI network setup too, I can't remember off hand what page and what it says - but something about name resolution. Sounds like you have resolution working though so I don't know that I would look there yet.

You mentioned having used NFS in the past, if this was a client (mounting a filesystem) and it was set to persist you should check your /etc/fstab file for entries that won't ever mount (NFS exports on machines no longer on a connected network).
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”