Can I clone a Windows 2003 Server?

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bjornl

Can I clone a Windows 2003 Server?

Unread postby bjornl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:29 am

I have tried, for a couple of days now, to move an existing Windows 2003 Small Business Server to another harddrive.
It runs on a single SATA disk, and the disk is starting to be full, so I was going to move it to a bigger one. I was also thinking of making the system disk RAID1 at the same time.

The first idea was to let the raid mirror the small disk to the large one, resize partitions and then mirror all to the second large disk.
That didn't work. I guess there was to big difference in size, 80Gb vs 500Gb, for the raid to handle.

Then I was going to clone the disk with software, r esize partitions and then let the machine mirror it to the second large disk. That didn't work. I get some registry/security failures.
I have tried freeware clone program and not freeware program ;-) but the new copy won't boot.

I have also tried to make a complete backup first and then an ASR (automatic system recovery) + disaster recovery.
Then it complains about missing/wrong version dlls just after the Windows screen shows.

I also tried installing fresh OS, fresh backup program and restore the tape but it don't seem to restore the registry and other important system files to their right places.

This error have I seen a lot of

Code: Select all

Windows could not start because of an error in the software.
Please report this problem as : load needed DLLs for kernel. Please contact your support person to report this problem.

Microsoft solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914049 don't help.

I think it is a problem with SP1 and SP2 files getting mixed. The server has been updated along the way and the disaster recovery files are based on the original CDs, which are SP1 I think.
But a clone should have worked. That's my opinion.

Any ideas?

D-EJ915

Re: Can I clone a Windows 2003 Server?

Unread postby D-EJ915 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:35 am

You should be able to copy the partition to the new disk and just restore the MBR on it.
:Indy: :rx2600: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

zski128

Unread postby zski128 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:58 am

Do you have Norton Ghost? Make a BartPE CD with network support, boot the machine with the BartPE disk and save the image off to a file share. You can then put the new drive in and drop the ghost image back on.
:O2000: :Indigo: :Indy: x2 :Octane: :O2: :Fuel:WIP :1600SW:x2

indyman007

Unread postby indyman007 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:22 pm

Is this just normal 2003 or 2003R2?
:Indy: R4600PC 133 MHz

Mac Mini 2.5GHz 8GB RAM
Raspberry Pi

bjornl

Unread postby bjornl » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:16 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I will prepare and try next weekend when I can take the server offline again.
The Norton Ghost i tried complained about it not being server version or something like that, so it didn't work.
I'm going to see what BartPE can do.

It is 2003 Small Business Server and I think it is so old that it can't be 2003R2.
As far as I know it don't have the unix sharing stuff (SFU) that was included in R2 anyway.

I have found a few suggestions regarding restoring the mbr. fixmbr and fdisk /mbr seem to do the same job.
I have also found a Linux(?) utility called mbrfix.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:07 pm

clone the disk with a gparted livecd and then use gparted to expand the ntfs volume.

I think it is possible to also clone the MBR directly in gparted.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:11 pm

i cloned windoze once using an app from acronis and it worked.
at first boot after cloning you might wanna check that the new disk has the same id/path as the original. (you need to switch disks of course).

maaarcooose

Unread postby maaarcooose » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:42 am

Clone the Windows disk using Clonzilla live CD from one disk to another, then use gparted live CD to expand the partition on the biger disk.
I've done this many times for lots of different systems.

Clonezilla:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/files/clonezilla_live_stable/1.2.2-26/clonezilla-live-1.2.2-26.iso/download

Clonezilla Instructions:
http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/doc/

Gparted:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

If you still can't clone using clonezilla, Try making an image of the disk to an external hard disk first then restoring to the new disk from the image.

I've tried lots of cloning methods as I was trying to get rid of using Ghost in house and clonezilla seems to fit the bill perfectlly.

!m!
Doing that Lone Wolf thing. Without the ninja killing and revenge.

Mac Book Pro 13" Running Lion.
All SGI's now in the hands of people that will use them more.

henrycault

Unread postby henrycault » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 pm

Are you trying to clone from one type of IDE/SATA controller up to a RAID controller? Because if windows (name version here) is not installed already on your RAID controller, it wont clone correctly simply because the raid controller wont be registered as the original bootup device.

More or less the same phenomenon to clone from one chipset to another one, forget windows it will be messed. It needs to stay on its original controller it was installed from.
something to do about the TXT driver files. You may have the RAID controller installed in windows (PNP drivers) but it doesnt containt the TXT drivers needed to boot.

Might be able to do a repair of windows2003 with a disc that you will have slipped the TXT drivers inside with an utility called "nlite" (and "vlite" for vista/2008)
:Octane: 270Mhz SI 384Mb ram :Octane2: 2x360Mhz V6 1.5Gb ram
:O2000: Death by flooding... :(
Amiga A3000D / Full ECS, Kickstart 3.1, 2Mb CHIP/24Mb FAST with 2+18Gb SCSI HD
Amiga A1200 starting to work on this one.

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”