SGI (Teac) Floppy Fix

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hyteck

SGI (Teac) Floppy Fix

Unread postby hyteck » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:50 am

After aquiring an R4000 INDIGO w/defective Teac floppy drive, research here indicates this faulty floppy syndrome is widespread.It appears (on this unit anyway) that the prolem may affect all of them.The SCSI adapter was fine, the problem seems to be on the drive itself.To repair the drive ,remove the adapter from beneath the drive and disconnect the harness.With the drive upside down and the load slot away from you ,look for a small PCB recessed about halfway up on the left.On this board are 3 small SMD Electrolytic capacitors(their value escapes me).These caps are well known trouble makers.Seems after time they leak their highly corrosive guts all over the board.If left long enough it will sucessfully remove all trace of any copper traces where the liquid has oozed.Clean all signs of this stuff off the board after carefully removing the offending parts.You will know if this stuff is around as soon as you hit the solder pad with a hot iron..The stink is unmistakable!..Replace these with new SMDs (nothing else will fit)and reassemble.Plug and Pray..This returned my drive to like new operation....It may not hurt to check/replace any more of these little agrivators that you may find on any of the other boards while you have it open...Good Luck...IRIX....over and out...

GeneratriX

Good To Know

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:33 am

Good to know; I've lost one of thoses a few months ago, but never tried your procedure...

hyteck

Unread postby hyteck » Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:26 pm

Thats too bad GeneratriX,hope it didn't go to the landfill!! These caps are in the platter servo circuit and although it may not solve all the probs that these drives may have,it solved this ones prob.Suspect these parts first in any circuit giving you greif...

GeneratriX

Teac Floppy

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:32 pm

hyteck wrote:Thats too bad GeneratriX,hope it didn't go to the landfill!! These caps are in the platter servo circuit and although it may not solve all the probs that these drives may have,it solved this ones prob.Suspect these parts first in any circuit giving you greif...

Well, I guess my unit had thei own plains for retirement! :P
If you want to take a look, I've posted the case on a thread months ago: SGI/Teac FD-235HS SCSI Floppy Disk Drive

hyteck

Unread postby hyteck » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:33 pm

Yep.. thats the drive in question. It's this post (plus many others) that prompted this response. I hope it helps at least one fellow Nekochaner with "flopppy" disk problems.My Indy would not be able to respond without your help...IRIX ...over and out.....

GeneratriX

Long Life To IRIX!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:37 pm

hyteck wrote:Yep.. thats the drive in question. It's this post (plus many others) that prompted this response. I hope it helps at least one fellow Nekochaner with "flopppy" disk problems.My Indy would not be able to respond without your help...IRIX ...over and out.....

Cool; glad to hear that you have discovered a fix at least for one of the common failures on these drives. Sure, IRIX rocks! ;)

Return to “SGI: Hardware”