mozilla 1.8 crash

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
fzalfa

mozilla 1.8 crash

Unread postby fzalfa » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:38 am

Hello

i use mozilla 1.8b5 since several month, but today mozi sudently quit when i use it, i relaunch and it crash randomly are when i use the mail client....

i do several try...

moz_run_program[36]: 1775 Memory fault(coredump)

moz_run_program[36]: 1797 Memory fault(coredump)

libexc(1816): FATAL ERROR __exc_cache_allocate_node: unable to allocate a new node (128bytes)
moz_run_program[36]: 1816 Abort(coredump)

the only software change was the instalation of pprace and supertux, with upgrade of SDL

any idéa ?

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:
HP proliant DL 585 Quad Opteron dual core 2.5Ghz 16Gb

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:49 am

another error

Could not allocate Dwarf_Error structure, abort() in libdwarf.
moz_run_program[36]: 1858 Abort(coredump)

Laurent
SGI or die !!!
:O2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :PI: :Crimson: :PWRSeries: :Onyx: :O2000R:

joerg
Donor
Donor

Unread postby joerg » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:55 pm

Try a reboot of your machine...otherwise take a look to neko_firefox.

regards
Joerg

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:14 pm

i have shutdown my octane2 and retry after, so no change, same behaviours.
so i use firefox instead of mozilla....

i have experiment the same behaviour when upgrade to irix 6.5.29......i used an older version, i have upgrade to the 1.8a5 and i was ok again, but scorched 3D doesn't run naymore

so scorched is runing fine now, and mozilla don"t..... weird !! but i think they don"t share dependancies........

Laurent
SGI or die !!!

chervarium

Unread postby chervarium » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:41 am

I think I know what's wrong. Sometimes the rqs procedure messes the things up after a new software installtion. It happens when there are too many (conflicting) shared libraries installed. I'm going to explain the problem in some details.

The virtual memory image of most processes contains several segments and is similar to this one:

Code: Select all

address 0x0 > NULL page -> (some mixture of Text and Data segments) -> Heap -> BREAK -> (unmapped) <- Stack < max_addr_of_the_userspace
When a process requests memory via one of the libc functions like malloc/calloc/realloc/free (C) or the builtin operators new/delete (C++), the call is translated to a brk or sbrk syscall that adjusts the BREAK address (i.e. the kernel maps more pages onto the top of the Heap). This works just fine as long as there's nothing mapped above the BREAK and below the stack, but when there is and the BREAK has already reached it, the syscall fails.

Sometimes rqs recalculates the load addresses of some of the libraries in such a way that on load they happen to be mapped above the heap/BREAK. This usually goes unnoticed as the mapping is done at an address that's high in the virtual memory, well above any future memory allocations of the process. But when the process is memory demanding (e.g. mozilla, gimp &c.) or the map is very close to the initial BREAK, the mapped library is quickly reached and the memory allocator fails, hence the observed aborts and fatal traps.

There's a simple check to see if this is your problem. par(1) the offending binary until it dies and see if there are failed brk/sbrk syscalls in the output of par(1). If so, read on.

I've seen this on my SGI workstations a couple of times, always after an overlay installation. The quick fix is to manually run the rqs procedure. It may or may not work though, the success depends on the installed shared libraries. If possible, remove the packages (with a lot of libs) you're not using. Sometimes the only way to fix the problem is a clean install.
Last edited by chervarium on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
LAMMEN GORTHAUR

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:29 am

now i remember have an aborted installn rsqall process never be done at all.

maybe after reinstall mozilla ity can be fixed, i"ll try

Laurent
SGI or die !!!

chervarium

Unread postby chervarium » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:38 am

fzalfa wrote:now i remember have an aborted installn rsqall process never be done at all.
Now that's bad. You must never interrupt rqsall.
LAMMEN GORTHAUR

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:42 am

fzalfa wrote:now i remember have an aborted installn rsqall process never be done at all.

maybe after reinstall mozilla ity can be fixed, i"ll try

Laurent

yes reinstall and try a new profile if the problem's not gone.

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:22 pm

i do not interrup rqsall, swmgr crash by itself.....

Laurent
SGI or die !!!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:18 pm

fzalfa wrote:i do not interrup rqsall, swmgr crash by itself.....

Laurent

so something is messed up. do you have a backup of /var/inst?

fzalfa

Unread postby fzalfa » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:22 am

yes i have a backup of /Var/inst

Laurent
SGI or die !!!

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:02 pm

fzalfa wrote:yes i have a backup of /Var/inst

Laurent

okay so try that

stuart

Unread postby stuart » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 am

chervarium wrote:I've seen this on my SGI workstations a couple of times, always after an overlay installation. The quick fix is to manually run the rqs procedure. It may or may not work though, the success depends on the installed shared libraries. If possible, remove the packages (with a lot of libs) you're not using. Sometimes the only way to fix the problem is a clean install.

After I've upgraded to 6.5.30, I have libraries loaded below rld's brk for SGI's Mozilla... and it has crashed once for no apparent reason. I'm pretty sure that running rqs manually triggered this problem on a different system, so I'm reluctant to run that.

However, I reinstalled mozilla.sw.lib, and then removed and installed mozilla.sw.lib and all of its dependancies - and neither operation made any difference.

Is there anything else (non-destructive) I can try, short of a full reinstall?

GeneratriX

Mozilla Crashes

Unread postby GeneratriX » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:15 am

Well, I've wondered on latest three days if maybe I'm some weird strangeous talented freak crashing Mozilla 1.8a5; but now I feel a little better, since it seems I'm not the only one! :P

Take a look on latest two hours:

WARNING: core: mozilla-bin: PID 2121, failed to write a  text area (core file deleted)
moz_run_program[36]: 2121 Memory fault

WARNING: core: mozilla-bin: PID 2281, failed to write a  text area (core file deleted)
moz_run_program[36]: 2281 Abort

ALERT: Process [mozilla-bin] 2819 generated trap, but has signal 10 held or ignored
epc 0x4ef6894 ra 0x4ef7090 badvaddr 0x63006d
process has been terminated to prevent infinite loop
WARNING: core: mozilla-bin: PID 2819, failed to write a  text area (core file deleted)
moz_run_program[36]: 2819 Bus error

:shock: :shock: :shock:

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:37 am

I wish the Orcs hadn't stolen dexter1 from us...he'd get to the bottom of this. :(

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”