Blender Irix Development

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Jarndyce911
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact:

Blender Irix Development

Unread postby Jarndyce911 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:14 pm

So I decided to start a new thread on the development effort of Blender for
Irix. I am starting it today because I have just compiled the CVS version of
Blender that is fully static and includes FFMPEG and OpenEXR.

I am hoping to have a few people try it and then I would like to submit it
to Blender.org, so that the official download site will contain this version.

The binary is located at:

http://www.jarndyce.org/blender-2.42a-i ... ps.tar.bz2

Please let me know if there are any problems!
Charles

User avatar
foetz
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6590
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:34 am
Contact:

Unread postby foetz » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:15 pm

nice!
i know compiling blender is no fun :D

User avatar
skywriter
Posts: 3292
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:22 am
Location: Trump-proof bunker
Contact:

Unread postby skywriter » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:54 am

thanks for keeping at it!
:Skywriter:

DECUS Member 368596

User avatar
lhaza
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Milchstrasse, Kakania
Contact:

Unread postby lhaza » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:07 pm

thanks alot for hacking blender/IRIX !

I have played with sequencer to load mpeg4's via Movie/Audio [HD]:

Code: Select all

draco 18% ./blender
guessing './blender' == '/usr/people/m/Desktop/blender-2.42a-irix-6.5-mips/./blender'
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
Input #0, avi, from '/disc2/Andrei Rublev (1).avi':
  Duration: 01:21:17.3, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 1204 kb/s
  Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 640x328, 25.00 fps(r)
  Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 128 kb/s


looks good. The file shows as a video and a soundstream in the sequencer.
But I can't render this, nor will show up in the preview.

However I am not quite shure if ffmpeg should give us this ...

greetings

User avatar
nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 8145
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 1:31 am
Location: Pleasanton, California
Contact:

Unread postby nekonoko » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:01 am

Thanks again for keeping IRIX Blender alive - this is great stuff!
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Jarndyce911
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact:

Unread postby Jarndyce911 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:06 pm

Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to test this version. I have the email
drafter to the developers list and I wanted to get some feedback before I sent
it out.

Thanks in advance for the help testing!
Charles

User avatar
ka0s
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:23 am
Location: The Netherlands

Unread postby ka0s » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:01 am

Glad to be of assistance but I already have version 242a on my system.
I grabbed that one from the official blender download site.
Or is there something different with this version?

And thanks for keeping blender alive on Irix !!!!!
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

User avatar
ka0s
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:23 am
Location: The Netherlands

Unread postby ka0s » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:29 am

And here's another ( probably stupid and obvious ) question,
how do I compile the plugins that come with the blender download?

I've already tried :

Code: Select all

blender-2.42a-irix-6.5-mips/plugins %  ./bmake
./bmake[92]: test: argument expected
fgrep: can't open .c
fgrep: can't open .c
cc -KPIC -O2 -mips3 -c .c -Iinclude/
cc ERROR:  file does not exist:  .c
Compile error


I have no clue what it wants for an argument since there are no .c files in this directory.
There are .c files if I step into the include or sequence or texture directory's, but then why put
a bmake and a Makefile in the top directory????

I must be doing something wrong or skipping a few corners obviously, but then I just took a
stab at it since there's no readme or howto to be found anywhere ... :?
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

User avatar
lhaza
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Milchstrasse, Kakania
Contact:

Unread postby lhaza » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:46 am

try a gmake in the plugins-directory, works here with the version from charles:

Code: Select all

draco 6% gmake
gmake -C texture
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/people/m/Desktop/blender-2.42a-irix-6.5-mips/plugins/texture'
cc -KPIC -O2 -mips3 -c clouds2.c -I../include
ld -shared -U clouds2.o -o clouds2.so
cc -KPIC -O2 -mips3 -c tiles.c -I../include
ld -shared -U tiles.o -o tiles.so
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/m/Desktop/blender-2.42a-irix-6.5-mips/plugins/texture'


....

the Makefiles call bmake. Bmake looks for the system via uname and builds shared libraries (the plugins).

Jarndyce911
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact:

Unread postby Jarndyce911 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:49 pm

ka0s wrote:Glad to be of assistance but I already have version 242a on my system.
I grabbed that one from the official blender download site.
Or is there something different with this version?

And thanks for keeping blender alive on Irix !!!!!


There is something different with this version. It has FFMPEG and OpenEXR
statically linked in. Also since it is using the latest version of FFMPEG, it is working
great!

I tested it on another computer of mine without the same environment and it
seems to be working fine, just wanted to be sure when I tell them it is ready.

Thanks for the help! I will let you know if/when the official site has this version!
Charles

User avatar
ka0s
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:23 am
Location: The Netherlands

Unread postby ka0s » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:25 am

lhaza wrote:try a gmake in the plugins-directory, works here with the version from charles:

Code: Select all

draco 6% gmake
gmake -C texture
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/usr/people/m/Desktop/blender-2.42a-irix-6.5-mips/plugins/texture'
cc -KPIC -O2 -mips3 -c clouds2.c -I../include
ld -shared -U clouds2.o -o clouds2.so
cc -KPIC -O2 -mips3 -c tiles.c -I../include
ld -shared -U tiles.o -o tiles.so
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/people/m/Desktop/blender-2.42a-irix-6.5-mips/plugins/texture'


....

the Makefiles call bmake. Bmake looks for the system via uname and builds shared libraries (the plugins).


That worked allright :D

Thanks !
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

User avatar
ka0s
Posts: 589
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:23 am
Location: The Netherlands

Unread postby ka0s » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:27 am

Jarndyce911 wrote:
ka0s wrote:Glad to be of assistance but I already have version 242a on my system.
I grabbed that one from the official blender download site.
Or is there something different with this version?

And thanks for keeping blender alive on Irix !!!!!


There is something different with this version. It has FFMPEG and OpenEXR
statically linked in. Also since it is using the latest version of FFMPEG, it is working
great!

I tested it on another computer of mine without the same environment and it
seems to be working fine, just wanted to be sure when I tell them it is ready.

Thanks for the help! I will let you know if/when the official site has this version!


O.K. I get it now !
I will give this version a try!
Thanks Charles!
I can feel it, my mind is going ....

Jarndyce911
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:00 pm
Location: Silicon Valley
Contact:

Unread postby Jarndyce911 » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:03 am

Alright, Blender 2.43RC1 is now available for the Irix platform! The
link is below:

http://download.blender.org/release/Ble ... ps.tar.bz2

I probably will not put together the Nekoware version until after the final
version is released as I have been awfully busy lately. In fact I compiled
the above version from Japan since I am here on business.

Please let me know if you have any problem. And thanks to all in advance
for testing and continuing to support the Irix version of Blender!
Charles

User avatar
squeen
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2933
Joined: Fri May 09, 2003 6:10 am
Location: Maryland, USA

Unread postby squeen » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:35 am

Awesome. Thanks!

User avatar
lhaza
Posts: 186
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:35 pm
Location: Milchstrasse, Kakania
Contact:

Unread postby lhaza » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:11 am

Please let me know if you have any problem.

I gave it a try...
When I open a file via <F1> console says:

Code: Select all

tanger 12% ./blender
guessing './blender' == '/disc2/nekoware/blender-2.43RC1-irix-6.5-mips/./blender'
Compiled with Python version 2.4.
Checking for installed Python... got it!
/usr/people/m/.blender/icons: No such file or directory
iconv_open Erroriconv_open Erroriconv_open Erroriconv_open Error


I don't have any ions dir under ~/.blender/, nor is one with the distro.
In the filebrowser, the files have no name, just sizes.
Image

When I want to quit via q, it doesn't work.

greetings


Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest