Abiword 2.0

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
squeen

Abiword 2.0

Unread postby squeen » Fri Oct 31, 2003 4:09 am

I recently saw the following post in the Abiword weekly news

Is there anyone out there, who has dared to install a more current
version of ABIWORD on an SGI running IRIX 6.5.11~20? The page
http://freeware.sgi.com/index-by-alpha.html has an install tardist file
for AbiWord 1.0.3

George M. Benedikt

So I took a crack at compiling Abiword 2.0 but was ultimately defeated because the SGI X server doesn't seem to work with Xft2/Xrender extension.

Any clues from you all?

Shtoink

Unread postby Shtoink » Mon Nov 03, 2003 1:23 pm

I think that Abiword has been defeated by OpenOffice. As it stands, all the things I have ever read about it were negative, so I never installed and ran the versions that were complied for IRIX.

Are there any advantages for running Abiword?

coredog64

Unread postby coredog64 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:18 pm

AbiWord 2.0 is actually pretty good. It's very fast and it doesn't require a weeklong compile cycle and a zillion extra libraries like OpenOffice.

However, the few documents I threw at it didn't work so hot in .doc form. I got better results by using Word to save as RTF and then open in AbiWord.

If you just want to look at some Word docs without too much embedded formatting, or do simple work, AbiWord is okay.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:30 am

I do most of my serious word processing in LaTeX, use OpenOffice for cross-compatibility and Abiword when I what to do something quick.

Still, they have put alot of work in Abiword since v1.0, so I thought it would be nice to see how it rates.

Dubhthach

Re: Abiword 2.0

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:20 pm

Abiword is fairly nice, as for saving files as .rtf in Word so they open correctly in abiword. well last time i remember is that abiword doesn't actually saves files in .doc format but as .rtf with .doc name. or something along those lines

squeen wrote:So I took a crack at compiling Abiword 2.0 but was ultimately defeated because the SGI X server doesn't seem to work with Xft2/Xrender extension.

Anyone know if SGI are doing any porting of extensions such as Xrender to their X server. I know SUN are doing it at the moment with XSUN and will be part of Solaris 10

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:33 pm

SGI is using XFree on their ATI based hardware, so in a sense Xrender has been ported already :) Perhaps their strategy is to move completely to XFree across the board at some point.
Last edited by nekonoko on Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Dubhthach

Unread postby Dubhthach » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:38 pm

don't know if that would be a good idea, not the best xserver out there tbh. still it can't be too hard to port in extensions from xfree tbh (not that i'm volunteering or anything :wink: )

nvukovlj

Unread postby nvukovlj » Thu Nov 13, 2003 2:18 am

nekonoko wrote:SGI is using XFree on their ATI based hardware, so in a sense Xrender has been ported already :) Perhaps their strategy is to move completely to XFree across the board at some point.

I'm pretty sure that I read in one of the comp.sys.sgi.* newsgroups a comment from someone at SGI that it didn't make sense to them to port XFree to old gfx hardware as it would be too big a job.

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:06 am

While Xrender would be VERY nice for true transparency, I have the following new info from Albert Chin-A-Young of the Written Word:

The SGI X server indeed does not support the Xrender extension. But
that doesn't matter. The fontconfig software will work with a locally
built Xft/Xrender.

Some day I'll give ABiword 2 another go.

Return to “IRIX and Software”