Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:11 am 

This seems to be a common problem as I've found several other people reporting it. What I haven't found, however, is a solution.

I've tried several dmrecord sessions on three or four different hard drives and with several different cable connections, and none of them worked. After a few minutes each reported (approximately) the following error:

Quote:
VL: Ressource temporarily unavailable.
vlDMBufferGetValid(video.server, video.path, video.drain, &buf) failed in
file capture.c, line 754
Dropped frame xxxxx
Dropped frame xxxxx
audio qeue = 166174 samples 83.1% full
Audio buffer overflow (can´t write movie file fast enough)
Error capturing audio for frame xxxxx

(Note that I x'd out the frame numbers to indicate that it doesn't always happen on the same frame. I doubt the buffer is always the same percent full either, but I haven't tried).

I've tried the following dmrecord arguments:
dmrecord -p audio -p video,quality=80
dmrecord -p audio,channels=1 -p video,quality-80
dmrecord -p audio -p video,quality=50 (to lessen hard drive access)
dmrecord -p audio -p video,quality=75 -I 50 -O 50

None of them were successful, and the error message was similar in every case.

The system is an O2 180MHz running Irix 6.5. The hard drives I've tried have been several 8GB IBM drives and a 2GB drive in a Radius enclosure. I've tried capturing to the system drive and I've tried capturing to an auxilary drive. Neither case worked, although it's worth noting that in both cases the capture drive was on the same bus as the system drive due to my lack of a drive sled.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:22 am 

>I've tried several dmrecord sessions on three or four different hard drives and with several different cable connections, and none of them worked. After a few minutes each reported (approximately) the following error:
-I use it for eight-tracking ADAT and find it always working nicely.

>Dropped frame xxxxx
audio qeue = 166174 samples 83.1% full
Audio buffer overflow (can´t write movie file fast enough)
Error capturing audio for frame xxxxx
The system is an O2 180MHz running Irix 6.5. The hard drives I've tried have been several 8GB IBM drives and a 2GB drive in a Radius enclosure. I've tried capturing to the system drive and I've tried capturing to an auxilary drive. Neither case worked, although it's worth noting that in both cases the capture drive was on the same bus as the system drive due to my lack of a drive sled.
-Seems that the input-density to your machine is to high.
You could lower the frame-rate and perhaps make your swap-space larger.

AvS

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:03 am 

Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:
Seems that the input-density to your machine is to high.
You could lower the frame-rate and perhaps make your swap-space larger.

I assume I could add more memory instead of increasing the swap space (the machine currently has 256MB)?

To be honest, I'm very reluctant to decrease the frame rate, as this would defeat my whole purpose for having the machine. My goal is to capture full frame, full frame rate NTSC video for more than 5 or 8 minutes at a time (which is about how long it currently works).

Is it not possible for an O2 to capture video properly "out of the box?" Do I have to upgrade the processor, etc?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:25 pm 

I left top running when I captured the video this time, and I happened to be watching the screen when the error occured. I noticed that there seemed to still be plenty of physical memory free (around 100MB) when it errored. It didn't seem to ever use any swap space.

I tried capturing without audio, too. It errored with a similiar error (resource unavailable, vlDMBufferGetValid, etc). I had top running when this happened, too. There was over 100MB of physical memory still available when the error occured.

So, evidently the software is either confused or not talking about a buffer in system memory. Could it be problem with the ICE? I'm assuming there is some buffering happening there...