Imwheel for Irix- ported! download link in thread

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
squeen

Unread postby squeen » Mon May 08, 2006 7:15 pm

Mind if we put it in nekoware?

GeneratriX

Wheel!

Unread postby GeneratriX » Mon May 08, 2006 10:14 pm

evil ppc wrote:GeneratriX- Pretty much every scroll wheel mouse that's PS/2 compatible works well under irix. I myself have a Sony mouse USB-PS/2 because I had to match my sony flats (anal, I know :D ). I'd say get one depending on your personal taste, as long as it's PS/2.

Thanks by your suggestion, "evil ppc"!
...I'll try to get a nice one from any local store.
Anyway, back on the days when IRIX started to support wheel mouses (using Nekonoko's hack, and about a year and half ago) I've tried to use a brand new Genius NetScroll+, but it resulted killed by the experiment, and the O2 resulted hanged on boot, requiring the jumper-trick to reboot again; so, I guess this time I'll avoid Genius devices... I could not tell you what failed these time... but these mouse never worked again no matter if plugged on SGI(s) or PeeCees. Affortunatedly it was a very cheap unit...

I'll look for a better unit next time! ;)

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Tue May 09, 2006 3:57 am

squeen- Please do include it :-). I was going to clean it up a bit and add some more Irix app preferences in the rc file, but school prevented me from resuming work on it today, but I think tomorrow I'll have time so expect a few more mods before I'm done with it but feel free to put in nekoware anytime. Do you think I should I fashion it into a tardist?

generatriX- Hmm I had that same problem with my O2, but the mouse worked after a few replugs. Maybe it's an O2 thing? Good thing the Genius mouse was cheap... ;-)

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Tue May 09, 2006 5:39 am

When you get things the way you like them, I'll be glad to help you with the nekoware style tardist building or coaching. I think the most important parts, besides the working executable & patch, is the release notes text file that describes your build process for future updates/rebuilding.

Thanks again!

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:16 am

squeen wrote:When you get things the way you like them, I'll be glad to help you with the nekoware style tardist building or coaching. I think the most important parts, besides the working executable & patch, is the release notes text file that describes your build process for future updates/rebuilding.

Thanks again!

Thanks squeen! Sorry I was out for a while due to projects and finals, but it's summer time now! I might hit you up here for some help with package manager sometime soon (I'll PM you), but please feel free to include imwheel in nekoware in the mean time.

{SPIN}

Unread postby {SPIN} » Mon Jul 03, 2006 6:03 pm

Many thanks to evil ppc for porting this. Not having scroll support in fm has been a complaint of mine forever.

I noticed as soon as I installed the right-click on the desktop behaved differently. The right click menu only appears for a split second then goes away. Not a big deal but wanted to mention it.

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:02 pm

{SPIN}- Thanks for the bug report. I'll check that out and let you know what I find (since it is now cool enough in the evenings to run my Onyx2 :-)). Thanks again!

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:27 am

{SPIN} wrote:Many thanks to evil ppc for porting this. Not having scroll support in fm has been a complaint of mine forever.

I noticed as soon as I installed the right-click on the desktop behaved differently. The right click menu only appears for a split second then goes away. Not a big deal but wanted to mention it.

Spin- I can't get this to duplicate on my machine, can you provide some more info?

squeen

Unread postby squeen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:46 am

An recommendation for a "most SGI-like" wheel mouse, anyone?

Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:39 am

evil ppc

I've put imwheel in /usr/bin, and copied imwheelrc into my root directory. I then type imwheel -k, but nadda!

Anything else I should be doing?
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.

Arti77

Unread postby Arti77 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:37 pm

I had the same problem Spidy, wouldn't work for me either.
My gear:
:O200: R10k 180mhz, 128mb, 36gb
:Indy: R5k 150SC, 128mb, 9g
:Indigo2: Teal, 256mb, 18GB, Extreme

evil ppc

Unread postby evil ppc » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:47 am

Spidy, Arti77-

Put imwheelrc in your home directory as .imwheelrc. Then run imwheel -k. To get it to launch at each login add it to your login script. Make sure you enabled scroll wheel support with systune first. If these steps don't work let me know!

squeen-

Hehe... I think it's my inner Mac user but I found a nice mouse that matches the charcoal sgi keyboard and my Sony flat that works well with Irix and looks good overall it is model MO32BO. It has clear portions with a nice blue. I recommend it :-)

Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:52 am

It's the systune bit that confuses me. How do I do that exactly.....reading the man now, but.......?
Man is the only animal smart enough to build the Empire State Building, and the only one stupid enough to jump off it.

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:57 am

Spidy wrote:It's the systune bit that confuses me. How do I do that exactly.....reading the man now, but.......?

http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/weblog/archives/000025.html
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

Spidy

Unread postby Spidy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:58 am

Thanks Nekonoko. :)

Return to “IRIX and Software”