Battery in Octane PVO card?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Battery in Octane PVO card?

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:46 am

Was probably going to buy this Personal Video Option card from China in the next week or so.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-test-SGI-O ... Sw2hNZt1KO

Says he has two.

Only thing is that he says he can't ship batteries. But, does that apply to this card? I imagine that is just a general message for mobo or other chips.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

robespierre

Re: Battery in Octane PVO card?

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:19 pm

There are international regulations that limit the capacity of batteries on passenger airlines, which are the reason the MacBook batteries (for example) have had the same capacity for years: they are at the limit. The PVO card does not use a battery.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:08 pm

one thing to look for is that these boards might not be compatible with Vpro equipped octanes - in case you have one of these. I recall I had an octane compression board that caused kernel panics in such a system and it turned out that it did not play well at all with the Vpro board.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:32 am

GIJoe wrote:one thing to look for is that these boards might not be compatible with Vpro equipped octanes - in case you have one of these. I recall I had an octane compression board that caused kernel panics in such a system and it turned out that it did not play well at all with the Vpro board.

Octane compression is the only entry-level video board that does play well with vpro. But you've got to have 2gb or less of ram, that the secret sauce.

Why SGI didn't even fix its own stuff is pretty appalling. Too busy partying, I guess :(

Sky is convinced they failed because of Inventor's Dilemna. I think it's more likely because they became assholes.
I don't want to be found dead in Utah.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:04 pm

I have the EMXI so it should hook right up. I see the three slots on the back of the card that the PVO has connectors for.

But, honestly at the moment I am wondering if I should just figure out how to remote desktop from windows to see the Irix desktop there and then just use camtasia to record the tutorials, etc. Mainly because I've had some feedback saying that compressing a long file even with ntsc or pal takes forever such that it may seem like it has crashed or does freeze and never finish. Might be better to just use camtasia on the win7 machine recording a remote desktop session where I just do what I do on the SGI box and the windows remote desktop will be recorded on camtasia.

Just an idea since I have done camtasia many times before.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:21 am

Intuition wrote: I've had some feedback saying that compressing a long file even with ntsc or pal takes forever such that it may seem like it has crashed or does freeze and never finish.

In that case, you need Octane Compression !!
I don't want to be found dead in Utah.

Return to “SGI: Video”