Octane no power?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
1byte

Octane no power?

Unread postby 1byte » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 am

Greetings,

I have finally gotten around to actually plugging power into my octane.

Problem: As soon as I attach the power cable, the power supply fan spins probably 1 revolution, and the drive cage fan spins the same, some things click and then nothing. No lights, no fans, no buttons do anything, just nothing.

The setup: There are no drives in the machine. I have cleaned contacts and re-seated the processor board and the subsystem boards.
I have inspected the power supply contacts which look new. There are no peripherals connected to the machine. I don't think that I will be able to remove the processor board again, without damaging something - I really thing this machine has been dropped. It is increasingly hard to get the processor board out.

Questions:
[*] Does the machine require drives to power on?
[*] Does the machine require KB/Mount or Monitor to power on?
[*] What is the procedure for testing that the power supply is indeed good?

Thanks!
:Octane:
Public GPG key: 3FFC 3492 FEE7 C954 63C9 9E6B F1D0 1A90 B4CE 93BD

astouffer

Re: Octane no power?

Unread postby astouffer » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:02 am

No you don't need drives or a monitor/keyboard to power on. Testing a power supply is tricky. You would need some load resistors and then figure out which pins jumper it on.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:39 am

1 Pull the psu out and plug it into a wall socket, does it make a nice clear click as the relay switches?

2 with power cord out, pull the drives, any external connections, keyboard, mice, graphics board xio carriers, system board carrier - essentially everything but the psu and frontplane. Does it power on now? If not you most likely have a duff frontplane or psu.

If it powers on without any of these boards then 1) insert system / mainboard 2) graphics xio boards 3) other peripherals in that order.

You want to analyse from the basic bare bones onto mainboard, graphics, drives etc.
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:28 am

JacquesT wrote:1 Pull the psu out and plug it into a wall socket, does it make a nice clear click as the relay switches?

2 with power cord out, pull the drives, any external connections, keyboard, mice, graphics board xio carriers, system board carrier - essentially everything but the psu and frontplane. Does it power on now? If not you most likely have a duff frontplane or psu.

If it powers on without any of these boards then 1) insert system / mainboard 2) graphics xio boards 3) other peripherals in that order.

You want to analyse from the basic bare bones onto mainboard, graphics, drives etc.

Right,

Relay clicks nice and loud. Insert power supply, nothing. Relay clicks, no fan activity.
Insert mainboard, fans spins once. No other activity.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:57 pm

Did you try and power on the unit with only the power supply plugged in plus motherboard?

Just remembered it's no going to do anything without the motherboard plugged in...!

It could be PSU, frontplane or motherboard. Do you have any spares you can test with?
:Octane: wip build - Currently 2xR10000 250Mhz, 640MB RAM, SSI graphics, 18GB 10K RPM HDD. Lucent and HD fan mod.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:36 pm

What are you doing with the power switch? Octane power switches are notoriously sticky. Make sure it's not stuck in some indeterminate state between on and off...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:13 pm

I tried every permutation of boards plugged in.
With the motherboard and power supply the fans tickle, but then nothing.

Neither switch does anything. I pulled the front plastic off to make sure I could get at the switches properly.

I do not have any spare parts at all. I am not in a Current position to acquire any financially. I will plan for that soon.

JacquesT

Unread postby JacquesT » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:17 am

See if you can beg borrow a PSU locally to test, it it's not that then I'd suspect frontplane, then motherboard.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:15 pm

Presumably this is the Lucent power supply? There's a used one on ebay ATM for 39 dollars, which is about as cheap as you'll ever find one...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 am

Update:

Ordered: New frontplane, 3x new 36gb scsi hard disks (got to start somewhere), 13w3 adapter and something else I forgot.

Thoughts: Need a monitor of some kind. I'm thinking I will try to use this machine as a podcast machine, or at least work with digital audio. I'm definitely going to do some freebsd porting with it.

In other news, I'm really leaning towards wanting a deskside system - Onyx2 or Origin. Unsure about the graphics needs - but why not!

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 pm

WE HAVE POWER!

New Power supply brought everything to life! Im excited! I also ordered a new front plane, and it's a good thing as I think the XBow chip fan is wonky on this one, it works, but its contacting the housing. I swear this machine has been dropped.

Anyhow, going to get a serial console up and see what happens!

Return to “SGI: Hardware”