Blue Moon Render Tools Renderman

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Intuition

Blue Moon Render Tools Renderman

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:10 pm

Since I was fiddling with 3Delight I figured I'd download the Blue Moon Render Tools in the Nekochan repository.

I remember seeing images made with it back in the late 90s early 2000s. It is also came before 3Delight and both use an almost identical Renderman compliant setup.

So, since I didn't have to fuss with licensing expiration with BMRT I gave it a spin.

I was able to successfully get basic scenes out of Maya and rendered in BMRT.

I think I will make a MEL script UI in Maya for exporting RIB and commencing render directly to the framebuffer as doing the whole....

Maya> Export> RIB.
GO to terminal/
../rendrib -d /path to BMRT/example.rib

Gets a bit a tedious. But I did MEL script a successful Maya to Vray standalone a few different times between 2010 and 2016. This involves less workaround.. BUT more little gotchas I'd have to figure out for sending attributes to the RIB file for shadow settings, shader usage, etc.

BUT.. here are some test images.

The two spheres are simply a direct RIB export from Maya. A basic scene I threw together to test what the RIB exporter was able to hand to BMRT outright.
Turns out it doesn't just find the shadows on/off in Maya light attributes. It needs specific attribute names in the RIB file.
I did render all three images on my Octane though. Its quite capable. Not as advanced as 3Delight but very fast as most R.E.Y.E.S. based Renderman engines are.

More to come with this down the road. A tutorial on how to setup and how to run from the command prompt and how to make a script for Maya to export and run the render engine all in one click.
Hopefully I'll be able to hand attributes directly from Maya vs editing the RIB file pre render to automate it some but.. a very fun project today.

EDIT--- Oops.. uploaded Tifs. Will fix...
Attachments
teapots.jpg
teapots.jpg (124.32 KiB) Viewed 389 times
persp_Maya_Test_001.jpg
cornell.jpg
cornell.jpg (118.18 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Re: Blue Moon Render Tools Renderman

Unread postby spiroyster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:49 am

Whats used for GI in the cornell box? Radiosity?

I've never heard of bluemoon o.0... thats the second time this month!

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 am

Yeah, it has a radiosity option. I think it is point cloud based which is why there are splotches all over.

Many of these renderman compliant clones have some kind of global illumination built in.

There is one called "Pixie" which has G.I. as well and there is a plug in called "Liquid" which I think runs in Maya 2008 which does all the RIB file interpretation based on Maya settings.

Many of them also have source code available, so when I stumble upon one that is quite easy to use I may come here and beg for an irix compile. ;)

Blue Moon was a little industry myth. Like all things Animal Logic, there wasn't a ton of info on the net when it was a hot ticket item.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 am

Intuition wrote:There is one called "Pixie" which has G.I.

we have a nekoware package of that

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:45 am

The direct successor to BMRT was called Entropy, it was only briefly available before a copyright conflict (with Pixar? someone remembers) made it unavailable.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 am

entropy was the commercial version of bmrt. and yes, there was trouble with pixar.
the wiki page has some info https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Moon_Rendering_Tools

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 am

Found this early today.

https://www.highend3d.com/downloads/app ... /c/mai-tai

Converts Maya 1.5 scenes to RIB with shadows etc. I actually do somehow have Maya 1.5 running on one of my o2.
I want to test it but the download at highend seems to only have the windows version.

I'd love to see how BMRT interprets what it puts in the RIB file.
Having these Rman exporter apps makes it much easier to play with Renderman stand alone clones.

I'll check out the Pixie package for sure. If there are any Maya RIB interpreters here let me know. I'll test them out.

EDIT---

Is it the Pixman tardist? Just looking around the ftp atm.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

SiliconClassics

Unread postby SiliconClassics » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:19 am

Intuition wrote:Blue Moon was a little industry myth. Like all things Animal Logic, there wasn't a ton of info on the net when it was a hot ticket item.

IIRC BMRT was started by Larry Gritz while he was a programmer at Pixar. After he left to develop it independently, Pixar slapped him with a cease-and-desist claiming that he used a lot of their proprietary code, so it was only available for a short while. It was basically PRMan + global illumination, which Pixar still hadn't adopted in RenderMan at the time.

BMRT and Animal Logic SoftMan/MaxMan/MayaMan make for a nice combination.
Silicon Classics on: YouTube | Twitter | Google+

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:51 am

I was looking around for anything on Mayaman or Softman.

Would be great to get a hold of these interpreters and host them here at Nekochan.

I find these Renderman based clones have really good potential for use on the SGI because they are much faster than Maya software or Mental Ray in regards to Displacement, Depth of Field, softshadows, and even using the "-radio" option at a value of 50 in BMRT produces very smooth results and renders fast even on my slow o2. I could effectively produce nice animation overnight on one machine with these PRman setups.

I am currently trying to find a RIB exporter/interpreter with enough features and source code that we could make a build for one in Irix.

This is only because I lose hope that someone, somewhere still has a Mayaman Softman plug in for Irix on a drive still.

I kept fiddling with BMRT and just text edit the RIB files after Maya export to add shadows, GI, etc. I love the look. I mean, I use Vray, Arnold, Redshift, and even actual Pixar Renderman at work regularly. But I think that Renderman was the best engine during the SGI golden years and it is sad because acquiring a legit Pixar Renderman for Maya in Irix seems near impossible.

I have an installer file with Renderman Artist tools that builds plugins for Maya 4 and 4.5 but I already asked my friends at Pixar (programmers of Renderman, I know Wayne and a few others in Seattle, and Ian told me that they can't give me a license for it even under the old software circumstances. Disney owns them. End of story. So who ever has an old SGI with Pixar Renderman Artist Tools already installed and running has a very rare and powerful piece of vfx history.

I'll post more pics and info as I keep fiddling with exporters and tests.
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:47 am

Intuition wrote:I was looking around for anything on Mayaman or Softman.

Would be great to get a hold of these interpreters and host them here at Nekochan.

that's not possible because both were commercial products.

Intuition

Unread postby Intuition » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:05 am

Yeah, I know they were commercial. :/

Anyways, I am leaving this here so when I have my Octane on later I can download and test it with BMRT..

https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ug/slide/viewer/

It is called SLIDE ... not sure if it is useful but, it has an IRIX build.

I was going through these tutorials for RIB editing, which include BMRT usage. Trying to get familiar enough with the area light attributes to create soft shadows.

https://people.eecs.berkeley.edu/~ug/sl ... ments/as9/

Amazing the lengths I'll go to just to make something on old SGI that I take for granted everyday in vfx. :lol: 8-)
Image O2 - 300mhz
aka Casey Christopher

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”