Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
oxygene

Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Unread postby oxygene » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:13 am

Hello all,

I first got to use and spend time with an SGI Indigo system in 1992 at a university. I began teaching myself to use Alias, reading the manuals and completing tutorials.

I would go home each night and dream of one day owning a computer which could handle 3D graphics the way the SGI computer did.

I haven't since encountered an Indigo, however own an Indigo 2 and some other models.

If an opportunity to acquire a similar system, both hardware and software setup from the time period should arise that would be very interesting and fulfil a long term dream.

I'm interested in talking (via Skype or phone) with SGI enthusiasts worldwide, and am particularly interested in talking with others located in Melbourne, Australia with a view to meeting up.

I have plenty of experience with other computers such as the Amigas, Apple II & Macs (I worked for Apple for a few years) and more common PCs.

I enjoy programming in C and variants, including 3D graphics (Open GL old and new style / GLSL etc.)

I also enjoy creating 3D animation as art using software such as 3D Studio Max, Cinema 4D, Lightwave, Maya etc.

Feel free to send a private message if you're interesting in talking.

Intuition

Re: Hello from Melbourne, Australia!

Unread postby Intuition » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:18 am

Welcome to Nekochan :)

We are always seeing SGI machines change hands here and if you are around long enough you'll probably get a chance to grab an Indigo before too long.

I have been doing vfx for a living for quite some time and also use the 3D software you listed though Maya and Houdini seem to be the main two used in LA these days with the occasional Max and cinema 4d gigs.

I am not sure if other members are from Oz. I know we have people from the US and Europe in equal parts though and you'll find the best know how on SGI software/hardware still available here outisde of holding an old SGI engineer hostage.

There is also a twin site called Irix.pw that is just starting and will be a place to gather more information and programming/compiling for Irix in the near future.
Image O2 - 300mhz
Image O2 - 400mhz :1600SW: 1600sw
:Octane: 2x400mhz :O200: Origin 200 2x225mhz
aka Casey Christopher

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm

Welcome to the show.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

cris_adder

Unread postby cris_adder » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:44 pm

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:17 am

Hi Melbourian,

I say the same thing to everyone...

Go with Octane/Octane2 it was an SGI high point and highly available at reasonable $$.

If you need help getting beast up and running then you can chuck your box in your ute and I can help or get an Uber in the digital age ;-)

Cheers,

jwhat.
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

Hakimoto

Unread postby Hakimoto » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:04 am

Welcome, oxygene! I second jwhat on the Octane/Octane2. Definitely the machine to get.
The Bandito wrote:In a few years, no doubt, you'll be able to buy a computer,
software and operating system that will match the capabilities
of your current Amiga at about the price you paid for the
Amiga way back when. But you can smile to yourself, knowing
that you were touching the future years before the rest of
the world. And that other computers and operating systems
will do with brute force what the Amiga did years before with
grace, elegance and style.

Eroteme.ch - my end of the internet...

oxygene

Unread postby oxygene » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:35 am

Thanks for the replies.

The hardware I'm interested in locating is an Indigo, ultimately to re-create the early experiences I had of SiliconGraphics computers.

I have an Octane already (ex SGI), and while it would be very interesting to obtain a Fuel or Tezro, it seems harder to locate the software.

I'm also interested in developing and re-writing software, and emulation.

sgi-enthusiast

Unread postby sgi-enthusiast » Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi also from an enthusiast down in Hobart!
I don't have an indigo system but a few others to pass the time.
Happy to chat if you would like.
Cheers

Return to “SGI: Discussion”