What pointless thing are you doing right now?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: What pointless thing are you doing right now?

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 am

marshallh wrote:If anyone has experience writing PCI drivers for Irix, I'd be very interested to hear more info.

I have. Conceptually it's not too different from how things work in Linux. Unlike Linux, all relevant information can be found in a single document, the IRIX Device Driver Programmer's Guide. If you can't find it there you'll have to ask your friendly SGI tech connection and that could be a problem these days. I remember we were violating some of the small print in the PCI-X spec and IRIX was the only platform that tripped over it because it was actually enforcing the spec to the letter. Since this small print didn't apply to PCI or PCI64 and I only had an Onyx2 and a Fuel to develop, we didn't find out until a customer tried to run it on an Onyx 3900 :oops: Oh, and I think IRIX doesn't like multi function devices and/or devices that claim more than one INT line, but I never had to deal with that.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:00 pm

European electrical outlets, no surprise, do not fit North American receptacles.
I am running a 240V line to my bench from a step-up and isolation transformer, so instead of using a more local 240v outlet I purchased a Type F outlet and carved up a single outlet dual gang box to fit the European outlet.

CGS_7795.JPG

CGS_7796.JPG

CGS_7797.JPG
:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

Image <-------- A very happy forum member.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:26 am

Tried some upgrades on my thinkpad x220 and fried it. Disassembled it to clean the fan and re-grease the heatsink. Worked a treat. Then I swapped the display for a better one (HD IPS) and blew some fuses for the backlight because I left the battery plugged in. Now I get to take the planar out again and figure out which fuse(s) I need to replace.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:33 am

Are the fuses in question designed to show physical signature to indicate that they've blown?

I've only recently become aware that surface mount fuses exist. (Ignorance is bliss I suppose)
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ................................... Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image ... Image
Image ........................ Image
Image ........................ Image Image

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Yes, they show open circuit with a DMM :mrgreen:

So long as they aren't like tiny 0402 package or some crazy thing they are pretty easy to change. (my hot air station can't be turned down low enough to keep components sized like that from blowing away).

I tried an ips upgrade on this guy a few years ago but the screen I received was defective with a big white stripe down the middle and the old one went back in.

Why is this pointless? Because I have other computers that are newer and better. But I like this one, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'...

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Calling this thread pointless may have been incorrect.. anyway..

My first telecine recording..

Not that good.. but in all fairness viewable.

IMG_0429.JPG
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:05 pm

I converted one of the early Logitech serial mice to PS/2. In the process because it was easier than expected it also became an optical mouse.

:Crimson: :Onyx: :O2000: :O200: :O200: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Cube:

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:01 am

Neat! I have one of those...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Hmm, pointing devices. One of these days I should get my 3D Space Mouse going. Anyone know what IRIX software it works with?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

pentium

Unread postby pentium » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:12 pm

I think Wavefront supported it? :?:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:26 pm

I use Logitech three button (no scrollwheel) mice on all my computers, model M-CAA43, love 'em! :P
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “Everything Else”