Backing up data / licenses?

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
BobLoblaw28437

Backing up data / licenses?

Unread postby BobLoblaw28437 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:11 pm

I recently picked up an SGI Fuel and noticed that it had some commercial software installed on it. I was wondering what the best way would be to back up the licenses and data. Normally, I'd get a USB enclosure and put the SCSI drive in it, attach that to a Linux machine and run dd. Most enclosures these days are SATA and sometimes IDE. Additionally, running dd isn't the most efficient way because its not filesystem aware so you end up with a full image that is the size of the disk.

My concern is that it being a magnetic drive, it may fail someday and I'd lose all the licenses / data. Additionally, I may want to reinstall the OS down the road.

How are people backing up their systems? Also, is there a central location for all the license information for all my apps (i.e. SoftWindows, Maya, Illustrator, etc.)?

robespierre

Re: Backing up data / licenses?

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:25 pm

The most common license files are /var/flexlm/license.dat and aw.dat. If you have some less common software there can be other files:
/var/netls/nodelock and lic_db, or /var/lum for CATIA, etc.

The easiest ways to backup are DDS tapes and FTP transfers. I would avoid disk transplantation as many users have found it destroyed their disks.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:30 am

I use xfsdump within IRIX to clone the system drives in my SGIs every couple of months or so, and have 2-3 drives I rotate round as clone drives. It's more of a faf on the Fuel as it involves opening it up to add the clone drive properly to the SCSI bus - Indigo2 has the removable drive sleds to make this a lot easier (although an external SCSI disk enclosure would probably do the trick).

I guess it depends how much of a backup you're wanting. I like the feeling of knowing that if the system drive in either of my SGIs dies, I can just pop in one of my clones and boot the system back up just as before.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:52 am

There are some SATA cards that will work in a Fuel. You can't boot a Fuel from a SATA drive, but an internal SATA drive can be a fast, relatively inexpensive way to backup the SCSI drive. See the Fuel Hardware Aggregator for more info.

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”