Wanted:Iris 3000 series keyboard and mouse

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
conmega

Wanted:Iris 3000 series keyboard and mouse

Unread postby conmega » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi everyone, I recently acquired an Iris 3130 from someone but it was missing the keyboard and mouse at the time of picking it up.
I am going to bug the original owner to look for it but I was offered this system for free and knew it was an older interesting system but was not aware of how rare these things have become.
So I know this is a long shot and I may end up having to emulate the keyboard/mouse protocol, I dug around on the forums a bit already and seeing it should just be a simple serial protocol since the keyboard does just plug into the DB25 "PORT 1" on the back.
Anyway, if anyone happens to have the keyboard and mouse for this system laying around I'd love to chat with you, even if you don't want to sell them.
Thanks!
:IRIS3130: :Indigo2:

kjaer

Re: Wanted:Iris 3000 series keyboard and mouse

Unread postby kjaer » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:36 pm

I have one. Not to spare, but what can I tell you about it?
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:

kjaer

Unread postby kjaer » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:56 am

I spent some time on mine this weekend. Finally got the mouse working enough to play with more than the console textport. Discovered I had some flaky BP3s as well, but fortunately the 32-plane configuration means I'm able to hide it by shuffling them around a bit. Wrote a couple tools to generate screenshots, as the ones provided in GL2-W3.6 gifts segfault, don't work in the required video mode, or generate an oddly arranged RGB file that can't be imported correctly on a newer system (not least because it doesn't save palette data).

Right mouse button worked briefly, but then quit and I haven't been able to discover why, yet. The 4D mice I have are apparently incompatible.

Anyway:
Attachments
artisan2.png
Media Logic Artisan
mextools.png
MEX & tools
:OnyxR: :IRIS3130: :IRIS2400: :Onyx: :ChallengeL: :4D220VGX: :Indigo: :Octane: :Cube: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Indy:

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Unread postby GL1zdA » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:56 am

kjaer wrote:I spent some time on mine this weekend. Finally got the mouse working enough to play with more than the console textport. Discovered I had some flaky BP3s as well, but fortunately the 32-plane configuration means I'm able to hide it by shuffling them around a bit. Wrote a couple tools to generate screenshots, as the ones provided in GL2-W3.6 gifts segfault, don't work in the required video mode, or generate an oddly arranged RGB file that can't be imported correctly on a newer system (not least because it doesn't save palette data).

Right mouse button worked briefly, but then quit and I haven't been able to discover why, yet. The 4D mice I have are apparently incompatible.

Anyway:

Nice to see some GL2-W screenshots. Any chance to give us some more?
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

kjaer

Unread postby kjaer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:10 am

GL1zdA wrote:Nice to see some GL2-W screenshots. Any chance to give us some more?

Operating the machine without the right mouse button is pretty limiting, and apparently my GF2 fails diags (which may help to explain some of the random lockups). My spare GF2s fail diags worse. So I have some more work to do.

But... sure. Did you have something specific in mind?

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Unread postby GL1zdA » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:45 pm

kjaer wrote:
GL1zdA wrote:Nice to see some GL2-W screenshots. Any chance to give us some more?

Operating the machine without the right mouse button is pretty limiting, and apparently my GF2 fails diags (which may help to explain some of the random lockups). My spare GF2s fail diags worse. So I have some more work to do.

But... sure. Did you have something specific in mind?

I will drool over any GL2-W screenshots ;) Except for the promo videos on Youtube there's not much stuff showing these machines in action.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

SPSDOD
Donor
Donor

Unread postby SPSDOD » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:16 pm

kjaer wrote:

Did you have something specific in mind?
If there is a /etc/*release can you cat its contents?
Also, what does uname (with whatever available flags) return?

I ask because my own research indicates that GL2-Xx.x was originally called IRIS Workstation Software Distribution, 1.x (IRIS 1400 and 1500).
Later, with the update of IRIS GL to version 2, the OS was re-named to IRIS Workstation Software Distribution, GL2-X2.x, with the previous 1.x release retroactively re-named to IRIS Workstation Software Distribution, GL1-W2.x.
Next came GL2-X3.x, which should have also been named IRIS Workstation Software Distribution, GL2-X3.x (IRIS 2300T-IRIS 3130).

I guess I'd like to know if /etc/*release or uname can provide first-hand sources to confirm the history of SGI's naming of its pre-IRIX UNIX OS.
My observation has been that SGI's documented conventions sometimes differ from its actual product release conventions. Examples:
1. GL2-Xx.x vs. IRIS Workstation Software Distribution, GL2-Xx.x
2. No separate window manger in 4Sight vs. Max window manager in 4Sight
3. Professional Iris 4D/60 vs IRIS Series 5000
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage :Indigo2: :ChallengeL: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2IMP: :O2: :Octane:

Return to “Hardware Wanted”