How do I find the Origin2000 MAC address?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Mon Oct 25, 2004 6:14 am

...and for those who want to tinker with the actual 93CS56 EEPROM's themselves:

viewtopic.php?p=6769

BTW, the EEPROM's on the Indigo1 and 2 are probably 93CS56. The S stands for secure, because these EEPROMS can be permanently locked.
This 93CS56 can also be found on Indy Indigo1 and Indigo2 CPU modules to contain the boot string for the R4K and R5K CPU's. There's even a 93CS56 on a Challenge S Mezzanine SCSI wide board.

And messing with a MAC address for Indigo1's and Indigo2's won't help you much with warez since these machine barely run today's apps anyway, like Greg mentioned.

loonvf

Unread postby loonvf » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:37 am

Dr. Dave wrote:also, Ethereal (from Freeware) works great as a network sniffer, and can usually show all the info on your network in short order.

Hi Dr. Dave

Thanks a lot, you gave me the solution to get the O2k MAC address
Now I can try to network install IRIX 6.5.**

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:49 am

dexter1 wrote:BTW, the EEPROM's on the Indigo1 and 2 are probably 93CS56. The S stands for secure, because these EEPROMS can be permanently locked.

Almost correct.

The one that can be permanently locked is the M93S56 from ST Microelectronics:

Within the memory, an user defined area may be protected against further Write
instructions. The size of this area is defined by the content of a Protect
Register, located outside of the memory array. As a final protection step, data
may be permanently protected by programming a One Time Programming bit (OTP bit)
which locks the Protect Register content.

SGI uses the [url=http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/FM/FM93CS56L.pdf]
Fairchild FM93CS56L[/url] which does not have the permanent protection bit.

While it can be write-protected, this can also be undone. This is evident because otherwise the conversion from R4K Indigo to R3K Indigo would not be possible, and the parallel port utility wouldn't work. The utility is cool, BTW. But it won't work for the Indigo2 which has the EEPROM directly in the board instead of in a socket. Bummer. I think I will still have to do some bare-metal programming :-)

As far as warez are concerned: even an R3K Indigo is powerful enough to server as a license server for quite a few nodes. Me, I'm just a geek who wants to know how anything and everything works on his SGI's, and that's something completely different from pirating software...

foetz

Re: How do I find the Origin2000 MAC address?

Unread postby foetz » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:03 pm

loonvf wrote:Hi all,

I am trying to network install an Origin2000.
And following Ian's procedures I need to have the MAC address
of the Origin2000.
It's a deskside system with only the standard communications module
with the one ethernet port.

Because I don't have a working disk with IRIX I cannot use the
usual IRIX commands so I am looking for the Command Monitor
way of getting the MAC address.
printenv only shows the netaddr = 192.0.2.1

I hope some of you can help me. I did some searching in techpub
documents but I couldn't find anything specific for Origin2000 machinery.

Francois

netstat -ian

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:06 am

Yesterday I realized I had enough spares to put a complete Indigo(1) together. All fine, except that the mac address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. Seems I'll have to redouble my efforts to tweak mac addresses...

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:18 am

jan-jaap wrote:Yesterday I realized I had enough spares to put a complete Indigo(1) together. All fine, except that the mac address is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. Seems I'll have to redouble my efforts to tweak mac addresses...

That one's easy if you have an IP12 Indigo (won't work on IP20). From the prom enter "eaddr 00:08:00:69:..." replacing the digits with whatever ethernet address you like. Once it's programmed you can install an IP20 and continue happily along.

http://www.reputable.com/eile/hacks/
Twitter: @neko_no_ko
IRIX Release 4.0.5 IP12 Version 06151813 System V
Copyright 1987-1992 Silicon Graphics, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:50 am

nekonoko wrote:That one's easy if you have an IP12 Indigo (won't work on IP20). From the prom enter "eaddr 00:08:00:69:..." replacing the digits with whatever ethernet address you like. Once it's programmed you can install an IP20 and continue happily along.

http://www.reputable.com/eile/hacks/

I tried it, didn't work. With the R3k board installed, I could setenv eaddr (R4k doesn't allow that), but it would loose the eaddr when powered down and then back up. I guess the backplane or the eeprom chip was dead. Fortunately, I had another one, and now everything is peachy :D

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:30 am

jan-jaap wrote:I tried it, didn't work. With the R3k board installed, I could setenv eaddr (R4k doesn't allow that), but it would loose the eaddr when powered down and then back up. I guess the backplane or the eeprom chip was dead. Fortunately, I had another one, and now everything is peachy :D

I was under the impression that you had to do it from the PROM, not via "setenv" under IRIX ...
All Rights Reserved.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:02 am

nekonoko wrote:I was under the impression that you had to do it from the PROM, not via "setenv" under IRIX ...

That's what I did -- there was an R4k in it originally, so I didn't attempt to boot it with the R3k CPU board. I did a "setenv eaddr" from PROM, powered off, put the R4k back in -- no joy. Swapped the R3k back in, "setenv eaddr", "printenv" to verify, (it's there), powercycle, and it's gone again. At that point I concluded that the backplane or EEPROM was probably broken, and swapped that for another one. That solved the problem. And since that one had a valid eaddr, I didn't attempt to fiddle with it anymore.

While you can do a "setenv eaddr" in the R3k PROM console, the R4k PROM says something along the lines of "This is a protected variable that you cannot change"

nekonoko
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby nekonoko » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:08 am

Okay, I haven't actually done this so I can't be certain, but all of the documentation I've seen on the subject doesn't use the "setenv" command at all. They all say to go to the PROM console and directly enter "#eaddr 08:00:...." at the prompt. It might not make a difference, but it's best to leave no stones unturned.
All Rights Reserved.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:41 pm

nekonoko wrote:Okay, I haven't actually done this so I can't be certain, but all of the documentation I've seen on the subject doesn't use the "setenv" command at all. They all say to go to the PROM console and directly enter "#eaddr 08:00:...." at the prompt. It might not make a difference, but it's best to leave no stones unturned.

OK, I tried with an IP12 board. The actual command was

Code: Select all

eaddr 08:00:69:....

(without the #)

It seems to keep the MAC over a powerdown / powerup, so I guess it's been recovered! I didn't try with an IP20 anymore, and anyway, this Indigo will (for now) remain without a working CPU board, disk, and has rather scruffy skins. But it's good to know it's not quite dead yet, thanks!

munin

Unread postby munin » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:02 am

netstat -ian

jwhat

Re: How do I find the Origin2000 MAC address?

Unread postby jwhat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:39 am

Hi Nekochaners,

in process of doing clean IRIX install (must be over network as I have long since got rid of CDs) and using Nekochan as resource to get netbook going.

I am re-finding out problems that have come up before.

So suggest that easiest way to get MAC address is:

1. Go to PROM command

2. Do printenv to see what is available

3. Tezro is not providing MAC address as part of environment variable settings ... so proceed to step 4.

4. So 4 do setenv to set netaddr & net mask

5. Do a ping on your target remote install server

6. Then log into your remote install server and use "arp XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX" to get MAC address.

arp - address resolution protocol is IP protocol to find MAC address given an IP address.

Cheers,

jwhat
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

Return to “SGI: Hardware”