How can Apple reclaim its dominance over PC-based workstations?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
guardian452
Donor
Donor

Re: How can Apple reclaim its dominance over PC-based workstations?

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:48 am

The imac has both greater volume and vent surface area than the mac pro, so no surprise, it can handle more power.
Plus, if you look at the interior photos of the imac pro on apple's website, you can see that not only did they take up a lot of room for speakers, there is still more dead/empty space inside.

Also compare Radeon pro 580 or Vega 56 to whatever a D700 is, regardless of power use, gpu's have come a long way in the last 4 years.

Too bad I don't like all-in-ones or I would have an imac. It's a nice machine but I've invested too much in displays and mounts.

You can go nuts with copper and heat pipes but at the end of the day you're still stuck with a compromised design meant for two smaller gpus instead of one big one, and something like ~400w power supply for the entire machine.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:51 am

Hopefully they correct all of this in their next design!
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:
Image... Image ...:arrow:
Image................Image ......:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image....:arrow:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 am

Here are awesome design concept for the next Mac Pro, but it's a pity that they're not Apples concept:

size_4k.jpg

gpu_4k.jpg

I would by a machine like this in an instant!
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:

GIJoe

Unread postby GIJoe » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:11 am

Irinikus wrote:my 27 inch Cinema Display gets rather hot on it's own!

really, is that an older type of screen then - or some high density resolution?
cause i have here a 27 inch eizo (@1440p) which is a 2014 model and that stays remarkably cool even after prolonged use. unlike my older TFTs from 2008 or so which emit heat you can sort of feel when sitting at the desk

that dual trashcan concept looks neat. lets hope whatever they come up with does have some internal space for drives and standard add-in cards though. yes, i said that - standard! ;)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

My Cinema Display is the 2010 (2560 by 1440) model, so it more than likely runs hot due to the older technology then. Its actually got a fan inside and you can feel the hot air venting out of the bottom of the unit in the area where the speakers are.

I definitely hope that they incorporate standard parts (Graphics cards, sad's etc) into their new design, as that move would definitely solve a lot of problems.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:03 am

I used to have a thunderbolt display and it was similar, you could feel heat venting out the bottom. Especially with everything cranked up (in a bright office and powering a laptop) But the case stayed fairly cool to the touch.

Now I have dell P2415Q displays and there is no fan, they barely get slightly warm to the touch.

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:11 am

guardian452 wrote:I used to have a thunderbolt display and it was similar, you could feel heat venting out the bottom. Especially with everything cranked up (in a bright office and powering a laptop) But the case stayed fairly cool to the touch.

Now I have dell P2415Q displays and there is no fan, they barely get slightly warm to the touch.

Those are cool monitors, now you just need the new Mac Pro to drive them! ;)

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:26 am

I have macbookpro11,1 is my office PC and razer blade stealth for solidworks and other windows-only stuff.

No need for a tower when even i7-7500u is overkill ;)

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:28 am

Cool, but I'm sure it will be a great machine.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:08 am

My i7-3940XM is still fast enough with 32GB of RAM to handle most anything I throw at it. Including Overwatch.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)

I am probably posting from yangxiaolong, HP Z230 with Xeon E3-1230v3, 16GB RAM, GeForce 750ti, and running NetBSD and Windows 8.1 Embedded.
Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:59 am

For that Matter, My i7 980X can play any of todays games at max setting at 2560 by 1440, but what helps it is the fact that it's system disk reads at 1480 Mega Bytes per second according to ATTO and it has a GTX TITAN X installed. It therefore has better Graphics hardware and a better system disk than the Mac Pro and will floor the Mac Pro when it comes to gaming, but it absolutely lacks the elegance of the Mac Pro when it comes to every day use.

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:40 am

A $300 playstation can also play all the latest games. :|

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:47 am

I suppose it can.

jwhat

Unread postby jwhat » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:32 pm

Irinikus,

I have Mac Pro 2012, which I bought new just before they introduced trash can Mac, so it is now 5 years old.

During this time I have:

1. Upgraded CPUs to 3.46GHz (x5690)
2. Replaced MacPro RAID with Areca ARC-1883 with internal SAS & external SAS
3. Added SmallTree 10Gbe
4. Been through a numer of Nvidia graphics cards (now has previous gen EFi flashed Titan X)
5. Oh yes and increased RAM

So I think the answer for Apple is to re-open up Mac Pro to third party enhancement.

This is great for us owners as we get more choice at better price and good for Apple as they can continue to evolve and innovate iPads, iPhone and OS X/MacOS. Apple took over from SGI in making Unix based OS friendly, without losing underlying power and utility.

On Mac Pro initial release, I was immediately disappointed when it did not have 10Gbe, but see new iMac Pro has this in spec. Really hope next Mac Pro has PCIe 3 bus and standard EFI so we can put in commodity cards without needing to wait and pay for Apple EFI’afied versions.

I am expecting it to and hope to upgrade by taking my Areca disk chain out of existing Mac Pro, turning on PCIe 3 compatability and going. Then I will move my existing 2012 Mac Pro into basement to take over duties from 2009 Xserve,which is out of OS X support :-(

And in fullness of time I will then upgrade Nvidia graphics (now the SGI of graphics) to latest GPU spec, as another requirement for new Mac Pro is that it should allow other options than ATI/AMD graphics.

Cheer from Oz,

jwhat.
jwhat - ask questions, provide answers

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:11 pm

I agree completely.

They absolutely have to open the next Mac Pro to third party enhancement.

It gives you more options and allows you to keep the system up to date.

Return to “Apple”