Created docker for running an IRIX install server on your PC/laptop

IRIX and IRIX software discussion including open source and commerical offerings.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
dexter1

Created docker for running an IRIX install server on your PC/laptop

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:07 pm

Since i got tired of:

a) Editing passwd files and setting kernel parameters in my current machine to get services up for remote boot and network install (and reverse the changes afterwards)
b) Running a ChallengeS server with 100 mbit to act as an install server
c) installing VMWare to run DINA

...i have created a small docker container for acting as an install server for SGI machines.

It is located in https://hub.docker.com/r/dexter1/irix-install/

For people not familiar with docker: it is basically a collection of programs and files inside a closed region of your Windows/Linux/Mac environment. This 'container' integrates with your system to offer a configurable stand-alone service for your local system or network. It is much smaller than a VM and very suitable for simple services.

I currently use Debian as a small parent image and added only the essential files and services to make it work: bootpd, tftpd, rsh and a working korn shell plus some sysctl sauce.

For people wanting to look at the image, it's here at github
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

josehill

Re: Created docker for running an IRIX install server on your PC/laptop

Unread postby josehill » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:29 pm

I haven't tried your container, but it's definitely a great idea! Thanks!

voidfoo

Unread postby voidfoo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:10 pm

Nice!
:Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :O2: :Octane2:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:30 am

Nice!
dexter1 wrote:I currently use Debian as a small parent image and added only the essential files and services to make it work: bootpd, tftpd, rsh and a working korn shell plus some sysctl sauce.

Just the way I like it :)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

tingo
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tingo » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Well done! Thanks for sharing it!
Torfinn

halfmanhalftaco

Unread postby halfmanhalftaco » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:44 am

Sounds sorta similar to the Vagrant setup I came up with a couple months ago to boot SGIs... but obviously I'm using Vagrant/Virtualbox instead of Docker. This is designed to Layer2-bridge onto your network so you can use RARP to boot installers on SGIs without having to type in IP addresses.

https://github.com/halfmanhalftaco/irixboot

Always good to have more options!
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane:
Indy XL24 R4600SC 133MHz | Indigo2 Extreme R4400 250MHz | Octane MXI 2xR12000 300MHz
2x Octane SE 2xR10000 195MHz
SPARCstation 20 SX 2x125MHz HyperSPARC | SPARCstation 20 TurboGX+ 2x60MHz SuperSPARC-II
SPARCstation IPC GX 25MHz SPARC | SPARCstation IPX GX 40MHz SPARC | SPARCclassic TurboGX 50MHz microSPARC
SPARCclassic X cg3 50MHz microSPARC | Sun Blade 100 Expert3D-Lite 500MHz UltraSPARC IIe
JavaStation-1 (Mr. Coffee) 110MHz microSPARC-IIe
https://halfmanhalftaco.com/inventory/

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:09 pm

halfmanhalftaco wrote:Sounds sorta similar to the Vagrant setup I came up with a couple months ago to boot SGIs... but obviously I'm using Vagrant/Virtualbox instead of Docker. This is designed to Layer2-bridge onto your network so you can use RARP to boot installers on SGIs without having to type in IP addresses.

https://github.com/halfmanhalftaco/irixboot

Always good to have more options!

Absolutely! Looking at the Vagrant file i see a very similar setup of services and mksh as kornshell like my docker: Using Debian images guarantees a small and supported foundation for our solutions.

I was thinking of adding an efs filesystem driver to augment the docker with an option of supplying IRIX efs disk images for adding it to the /DIST volume automatically. This would mean extra scripting to get everything working, and i kinda need some more testing with this docker before i do this.

Together with DINA/VMPlayer and Irixboot/Vagrant we now indeed have plenty of solutions for people to try out and improve.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

halfmanhalftaco

Unread postby halfmanhalftaco » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:07 pm

dexter1 wrote:Absolutely! Looking at the Vagrant file i see a very similar setup of services and mksh as kornshell like my docker: Using Debian images guarantees a small and supported foundation for our solutions.

I was thinking of adding an efs filesystem driver to augment the docker with an option of supplying IRIX efs disk images for adding it to the /DIST volume automatically. This would mean extra scripting to get everything working, and i kinda need some more testing with this docker before i do this.

Together with DINA/VMPlayer and Irixboot/Vagrant we now indeed have plenty of solutions for people to try out and improve.

Feel free to borrow/adapt any part of the scripts I came up with, not sure how applicable to Docker they would be - I generally avoid Docker because I refuse to use it on Windows since the "standard" tools require you to use Hyper-V, which disables any other hypervisor you might want to use (e.g VMWare/Virtualbox). Vagrant/Virtualbox works pretty seamlessly for me on all the types of (modern) machines I use - Macs, Linux, Windows.

I intended irixboot to be short-lived/disposable - punch in the MAC address/IP address/IRIX version into the vagrantfile and let it build a VM quickly while extracting the CD images, then once you finish installing you kill it.

I'm also planning on coming up with something similar for Sun machines. For most versions of Solaris it is pretty straightforward but a little different from IRIX - instead of pulling data over rsh like IRIX does, Solaris uses NFS mounts. There are some oddities in the Sun PROMs/kernels that don't seem to 100% work with the Linux versions of the server components, I'll have to see if there's any workarounds for that. Today I'm just using a Solaris 10 x86 VM for all my jumpstart/diskless Sun needs, but something repeatable would be nice.
:Indy: :Indigo2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane:
Indy XL24 R4600SC 133MHz | Indigo2 Extreme R4400 250MHz | Octane MXI 2xR12000 300MHz
2x Octane SE 2xR10000 195MHz
SPARCstation 20 SX 2x125MHz HyperSPARC | SPARCstation 20 TurboGX+ 2x60MHz SuperSPARC-II
SPARCstation IPC GX 25MHz SPARC | SPARCstation IPX GX 40MHz SPARC | SPARCclassic TurboGX 50MHz microSPARC
SPARCclassic X cg3 50MHz microSPARC | Sun Blade 100 Expert3D-Lite 500MHz UltraSPARC IIe
JavaStation-1 (Mr. Coffee) 110MHz microSPARC-IIe
https://halfmanhalftaco.com/inventory/

Return to “IRIX and Software”