X11/Graphics Trouble Indigo2

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
strikekat

X11/Graphics Trouble Indigo2

Unread postby strikekat » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, I apologize in advance if the same issue has already been addressed (I've read through this topic), and if this should be in the IRIX section instead.
Just as a little background, I work as a developer and have experience with *nix systems. I have a few workstations (2 Sun Ultras and a NeXTStation), but have no experience with SGI hardware or IRIX outside of this machine. I found an early lower-end Indigo2 (teal) several months ago, and decided to see if I could get it running.
It boots and displays the Indigo spash screen, and boot information. However, it will just get stuck at "The system is coming up", with a recurring "Check ethernet cable" alert. With verbose boot, I can see that it failed to add the swap file (error 19).
I can enter the command monitor, and run single user mode, but I essentially cannot get X server started, because it cannot open the display. I've tried ":0", ":0.0", "127.0.0.1:0", "192.0.2.1:0" (grabbed from the prom printenv), etc. If I run ancillary apps like xdpyinfo, it will just error out because of that. Actually running startx, or startgfx or the like will just give me a black screen. I've tried this with 2 SOG monitors.

I did find IRIX 6.2 images (Took FOREVER, if someone randomly happens to need them), but I just can't seem to get the discs to burn right. I've used cdrecord from Linux which was the only thing that actually successfully burned them, but attempting to open them from IRIX (like using the recover from CD option), just gives me a "Failed to read table of contents" error.

Anyways, I'd appreciate any insight. Probably just my ignorance with IRIX or something that I'm overlooking. I would at the very least like to get the login and window manager running on here for now. I'll post screenshots of commands that I thought would be relevant.
Attachments
IMG_20170910_185206.jpg
X11 can't open display
IMG_20170910_184239.jpg
PROM env vars
IMG_20170910_184219.jpg
hinv output
IMG_20170905_193342.jpg
Normal startup output

robespierre

Re: X11/Graphics Trouble Indigo2

Unread postby robespierre » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:18 pm

I would pull the disk and put it in slot #1 first, because that's where the root disk is expected and it can sometimes make IRIX confused. Slot #1 is the bottom slot, which might be easier to slide into if the cover is off. Slot #2 is the top slot, for option disks or tapes, and slot #3 is the CD/DVD tray. The disks' SCSI IDs are set by plugging into the slot.

X normally comes up by itself if "chkconfig windowsystem" is on. If it is off, the keyboard and monitor are not normally used by IRIX: instead IRIX uses the console serial port for its root prompt. This is under the control of getty. To start X manually, the correct command is startgfx.

The "ALERT: no Ethernet cable" is just an annoying message and it doesn't have anything to do with your problem.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:31 am

Welcome StrikeKat,
X can be quite dependant on network settings and you say the boot up sequence hangs on 'no Ethernet carrier' I suspect this could be a red hearing, I have though in the past had XDM struggle due to miss-configured network settings.

Check /usr/gfx/gfxinfo
Maybe set the graphics to 1280 x 1024 with /usr/gfx/setmon 1280x1024_60 (The 60 is for a flat screen @ 60Hz) You may have to do this in single user mode.

You may also find information in /var/X11/xdm/xdm-errors

Also check that it's not trying to load a nfs share in your fstab file.

Can you display for us a 'chkconfig' output?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

strikekat

Unread postby strikekat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Thank you guys for the replies.

I moved the drive to slot #1, and the swap mount error did disappear, otherwise no changes (that I can see).

I forgot to mention that I did check the configuration flags, and the relevant ones were enabled.
Attempting to run setmon just gives me the "Can't open display :0" error, while startgfx still gives me a black screen.
Running xdm directly outputs the same issue about opening the display, and the xdm-errors log file just has a bunch of "xdm error (pid n)" lines in it.

fstab only has the root filesystem being mounted. I guess I should clarify that I didn't believe the ethernet message had anything to do with the X11 issue, just information that it's the only feedback I get from the system after a normal boot :)

It's interesting to me that gfxinfo still gives me some (generic) output about the display, and also says "unmanaged" before the resolution. I feel like my issue is that I'm stuck at an IRIX framebuffer or similar, outputting the pre-XServer display, but X is incapable of finding the display for itself, locking up XDM at boot.
Also looking at it again, why does gfxinfo say GR2 graphics, but hinv and looking at the chip itself show that I have a GR3-Elan card? This was an interesting page on the subject. Can't say I completely understand, but I guess it is a 4 GE XZ card?

I'll attach the output of the mentioned commands. Thanks again for the help.
Attachments
IMG_20170911_125411.jpg
xdm, xdm-errors, and fstab contents
IMG_20170911_123243.jpg
chkconfig page 2 and gfxinfo
IMG_20170911_123155.jpg
chkconfig page 1

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:43 pm

"unmanaged" from gfxinfo means that no Xserver owns the display. This would be expected when Xsgi is not running.
When you use setmon, you need to give it the -x flag to tell it to make the setting the future default. That way it doesn't need to contact the Xserver (a point is that the DISPLAY :0 is a unix domain socket created by the Xserver: it would never exist without it.)

The output says "GR2 revision 4", which is the type and revision of the graphics hardware. The Indigo XS/XZ/Elan were GR2 revision 2. The name GR3 was also used but not entirely consistently. On the GU1-Extreme, the hardware version is GR2 revision 6. They all have a common architecture, GR2; but they use different driver names (GR2,GR3,GU1) in the IRIX source code.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm

[quote="Robespierre]you need to give it the -x flag to tell it to make the setting the future default.[/quote]
Duh Sorry, forgot that.

Also, if your connected via console etc, the unable to connect / set.. is common when setmon is used.

What monitor are you using out of interest?

Also what's the listing from your /usr/gfx folder? I had an Octane once with zero drivers. As it's an Indigo, I'm unsure what folder you would need, I have an Indigo with a ZX card, but I'd have to turn it on tomorrow at work to see.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

strikekat

Unread postby strikekat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Hm.. what am I doing wrong here? It doesn't like the -x parameter. -n of course gives me the fail to connect to display, but it doesn't like 'x' or the combination of x with other flags, like '-vx'. It is mentioned in the machine's own man page for setmon too. (I feel like I ran setmon with -x when I first read that other topic last week).

The 2 displays that I've tried are a Viewsonic VA2448M-LED, and an LG 22LG10. Both with same results. I should mention that everything to this point has been local to the machine itself. I have not done any remote terminals.

I'll attach the contents of /usr/gfx and the setmon command. Indigo at work? Man, I wish, we're a dev shop, and everyone's eyes gloss over the moment I mention anything non-Win32.
Attachments
IMG_20170911_142716.jpg
/usr/gfx contents and setmon -x

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:28 pm

Well unfortunately, on GR2 graphics (this is according to the setmon manpage) setmon doesn't work unless the xserver (Xsgi) is already running.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

strikekat

Unread postby strikekat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:38 pm

Indeed, you are correct.
4. On GR2 graphics (Elan, Extreme, XS or XZ), the X server must be
running before using setmon. On IMPACT graphics, setmon must be run
with the -x and -p options if the X server is not running.

Great.. So, is there a location I can manually check/modify the configuration?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:24 pm

strikekat wrote:Actually running startx, or startgfx or the like will just give me a black screen.

Do you have to power cycle the system to recover it from this black screen? I wonder if you could telnet in from another host and see if Xsgi is running when it's in blackscreen mode (my guess is that it is), then you could use setmon to restore the server to something that your SOG monitor(s) can actually display...
Project:
Plan:

strikekat

Unread postby strikekat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:26 pm

Well, I was about to post that I had no luck telnet-ing in. Running single-user mode with the ethernet cable plugged in had no effect on ifconfig -a with "no interfaces", even though I enabled the network and autoconfig_ipaddress flags with chkconfig.

However, I let the machine enter normal startup, and not paying attention, I looked at my router config page and noticed there was new local IP on the LAN. Looked over, and noticed it was sitting on the login screen.... Guess it needed an ethernet connection after all. I'll post back once I make more progress.

strikekat

Unread postby strikekat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:39 pm

It works! Got to the desktop, and can navigate around. (Yes, it is on the floor, since I had to move it across the room to connect to my router)

This system must have been wiped, or barely used, since it is pretty barebones and does not seem to have any extra apps installed, or any users besides root and guest. So guess my next step will be getting it to the login screen without an ethernet connection, if possible, and getting some actual programs on here to play with. Hopefully I can get the image burning issues sorted out.

I appreciate everybody's help. I'm sure I will run into more issues, but I'm happy just finally getting the window manager running :)
Attachments
IMG_20170911_173335.jpg
Finally works!

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:50 pm

strikekat wrote:Great.. So, is there a location I can manually check/modify the configuration?

Good to see you got it working. For future reference, I think the way to do this is to do

Code: Select all

echo -n "1280x1024_60" > /usr/X11/Xvc/GR20_TimingTable

but I've never needed it. I'll check sometime to see if this is correct.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Hey, nice going! :mrgreen: (I won't say anything about the Micro$oft keyboard)... ;)
Project:
Plan:

strikekat

Unread postby strikekat » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:09 am

I won't say anything about the Micro$oft keyboard

Hey, it was my only PS/2 keyboard that wanted to work :P Working on the SGI keyboard.. My Microsoft NKPs don't want to work, and I'm out of luck with NeXT non-ADB, ADB, and Sun keyboards.

I disabled networking (for now) in the system setup, and I can login just fine with it unplugged.

Turns out there were a few things on there, mostly just a basic setup. Not sure what group it belonged to (EFI?), but there's some various 2D/3D manipulation and AV tools. Be fun to poke around in.

Return to “SGI: Hardware”