IRIX Source code

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Hombre71
Donor
Donor

IRIX Source code

Unread postby Hombre71 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 am

Lazy question, who currently holds the rights to the IRIX source code, is it HPE ?

Possibly this was discussed before, I was just musing if with crowdfunding the current owner
might be persuaded to open source it.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: IRIX Source code

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am

HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

It cost SUN millions of dollars to open source Solaris. In lawyers, and to rewrite code it didn't own but licensed from 3rd parties.
No crowd funding campaign is ever going to raise that kind of money, and there's simply no business case either when the target audience is a bunch of sentimental hobbyists.

Fortunately, the innovative (at the time) parts of IRIX, like XFS, have been open sourced ages ago.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Hombre71 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:11 am

Mhh yes, that is true indeed. I suppose the IRIX codebase is similarly complex.

What is, generally speaking, the most usuable (covering the most platforms) non-IRIX OS for ex SGI Mips boxen, OpenBSD?
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:36 am

jan-jaap wrote:HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

I had the impression that all of SGI's assets, including discontinued software products, like IRIX, remained with HPE's Enterprise group. Is that incorrect? Note that other commercial operating systems, like HP-UX and NonStop remain with HPE.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

I haven't looked in a while but there are (or were) torrents available that claimed to be the IRIX source code. I never grabbed one because I assumed they were either fake or jailbait (remembering what the FBI did to Chris Toshok). In addition to the XFS source code that JJ mentioned, basically all of the IRIX multiprocessor code has been integrated into Linux, in fact it's that code that drove Linux to dominance of the Top-500.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 am

I have two different copies of the source code. Its not illegal to possess but it is illegal to distribute. I store them on tapes in a safety deposit box.

Its not the full source. In both cases its a fair bit of the kernel code, a little userland and some other pieces. I'll release them when the threat of legal action is low enough to not bother.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Owner and operator of http://irix.pw

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:06 am

I'd be surprised if a bunch of the ex-sgi guys didn't have their own copies too. Anyway, as has often been stated what would really be useful would be the source code to MIPSPro, so we could add the stuff it needs that prevents us from compiling all this so-called modrun software... :roll:
Project:
Plan:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:29 pm

vishnu wrote:what would really be useful would be the source code to MIPSPro

? MIPSpro was more or less open sourced!

Well, that means they yanked out all those pesky old MIPS bits, bolted on a shiny IA64 back end, and replaced the front end (licensed from EDG compiler group) and replaced it with GCC equivalent.

It was called Pro64, later Open64. People added x86-64, and even a new MIPS backend. NVIDIA uses it for it's CUDA tools, I believe.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am

jan-jaap wrote:? MIPSpro was more or less open sourced!

Well, that means they yanked out all those pesky old MIPS bits, bolted on a shiny IA64 back end, and replaced the front end (licensed from EDG compiler group) and replaced it with GCC equivalent.

It was called Pro64, later Open64. People added x86-64, and even a new MIPS backend. NVIDIA uses it for it's CUDA tools, I believe.

The open64.net website has been hijacked but it looks like what might be the University of Delaware's version of the code circa 2013 is on sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/open64/
Project:
Plan:

Kumba

Unread postby Kumba » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:46 am

vishnu wrote:I haven't looked in a while but there are (or were) torrents available that claimed to be the IRIX source code. I never grabbed one because I assumed they were either fake or jailbait (remembering what the FBI did to Chris Toshok). In addition to the XFS source code that JJ mentioned, basically all of the IRIX multiprocessor code has been integrated into Linux, in fact it's that code that drove Linux to dominance of the Top-500.

If you dig around in old Linux kernel releases, like 2.4.18 and 2.5.70, you'll find buried under arch/ia64/*, a *lot* of code that is very "verbose" and the coding style and formatting completely different from the rest of the code in Linux. I suspect this is raw IRIX code lifted from the IP27 and IP35 stuff and ported to the IA64 architecture for the bringup of the Altix product line. Of particular note in these old releases is all of the "pcibr" code that I stare at randomly in vain hopes to divine how their BRIDGE hardware worked so I can make the MIPS side work better.

There is, strangely, a very noticeable split in how SGI ported all of that code to IA64, but virtually ignores any existing code for their platforms under arch/mips/*. This leads to a lot of code duplication in Linux (mostly in header files now), so it's going to be interesting when I get around to sending patches in to unify some of it.

Even in the current Linux kernel source, you have drivers like drivers/char/mspec.c, which support the MSPEC address features of current IA64 SN2 hardware. It's on my long TODO list to see if it's possible for this driver to work on older HUB chips, like that in SN0 (IP27) and maybe SN1 (IP35), since the newer hardware is effectively an updated iteration of older hardware.

So IMHO, other than the older MIPS hardware support in IRIX, Linux appears to already have most of the good bits from IRIX. Chances of getting that old code released are likely slim-to-none. But maybe HPE would be open to releasing hardware documentation for the various system ASICS and address space layouts that could be used to develop new code.

jan-jaap wrote:HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

Of interest, Micro Focus also owns all that is left of Novell, including everything NetWare. I was excited a few weeks ago to discover that they still keep all of the old NetWare TIDs online, although some have new TID numbers that require a bit of searching. Throw on top still being able to download old NW patches, and Micro Focus seems like a nice company. If they really do have any control over other OS code, like that of IRIX, they might be open to releasing some stuff about it. Likely documentation only, but that would be better than nothing.
Last edited by foetz on Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

miod

Unread postby miod » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 pm

Kumba wrote:If you dig around in old Linux kernel releases, like 2.4.18 and 2.5.70, you'll find buried under arch/ia64/*, a *lot* of code that is very "verbose" and the coding style and formatting completely different from the rest of the code in Linux.

Don't you mean 2.5.69? Most of the SN2 code got removed in 2.5.70.
:Indigo:R3000 (alas, dead) :Indigo:R4000 x4 :Indigo2:R4400 :Indigo2IMP:R4400 x2 :Indigo2:R8000 :Indigo2IMP:R10000 :Indy:R4000PC :Indy:R4000SC :Indy:R4400SC :Indy:R4600 :Indy:R5000SC :O2:R5000 x3 :O2:RM7000 :Octane:2xR10000 :Octane:R12000 :O200:2xR12000 :O200: - :O200:2x2xR10000 :Fuel:R16000 :O3x0:4xR16000 :A350:
among more than 150 machines : Apollo, Data General, Digital, HP, IBM, MIPS before SGI, Motorola, NeXT, SGI, Solbourne, Sun...

Kumba

Unread postby Kumba » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:21 am

miod wrote:
Kumba wrote:If you dig around in old Linux kernel releases, like 2.4.18 and 2.5.70, you'll find buried under arch/ia64/*, a *lot* of code that is very "verbose" and the coding style and formatting completely different from the rest of the code in Linux.

Don't you mean 2.5.69? Most of the SN2 code got removed in 2.5.70.

I'll have to double-check. I think I was last looking at the pcibr code that SGI pulled in, and that's still in 2.5.70. SN2 code still is present through out the current kernel (like in the mspec driver, it explicitly checks for the presence of SN2).
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:36 pm

You guys are awesome! I've submitted exactly one patch to the Linux kernel, to the hwmon code to fix a call to a deprecated function. Extremely trivial patch that worked perfectly, it removed the call to the deprecated function and replaced it with a call to the function that replaced the deprecated one, but the hwmon maintainers rejected it. I deleted their rejection email but I remember the first sentence was "Thanks but no thanks." This was a submission to the 4.10.0 kernel tree. As of today, at 4.14-rc5, the call to the deprecated function is still in there. Basically sums up everything that's wrong with the kernel development process, which is to say; everything.

EDIT: And another thing that's just killin' me; all the at-microsoft-dot-com email addresses that are now showing up in the kernel changelogs... :lol:
Project:
Plan:

Kumba

Unread postby Kumba » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 am

vishnu wrote:You guys are awesome! I've submitted exactly one patch to the Linux kernel, to the hwmon code to fix a call to a deprecated function. Extremely trivial patch that worked perfectly, it removed the call to the deprecated function and replaced it with a call to the function that replaced the deprecated one, but the hwmon maintainers rejected it. I deleted their rejection email but I remember the first sentence was "Thanks but no thanks." This was a submission to the 4.10.0 kernel tree. As of today, at 4.14-rc5, the call to the deprecated function is still in there. Basically sums up everything that's wrong with the kernel development process, which is to say; everything.

You might have to dig into the history on why it was deprecated in the first place. Sometimes, you can find insight on why something was done that isn't immediately apparent. I recently went looking for an explanation for specific changes in Linux/MIPS' "atomic.h" header for the old R10000 ll/sc "WAR" bug, and ultimately discovered the explanation in a 7-year old git commit that had only a commit message but no file changes (I don't think git even allows that anymore). Knowing context and/or history can make sure you craft the patch or its justification just right.

That said, I recently tried sending in a basic "cleanup" patch for the existing IOC3 driver for Linux/MIPS and got torched by the networking subsystem maintainer himself, davem,for the patch trying to do too many things at once. So at some point, I'll have to spend a dull weekend splitting the patch up into discrete pieces, which is sometimes more of a chore w/ git than one might think (though, I am probably using git wrong).

vishnu wrote:EDIT: And another thing that's just killin' me; all the at-microsoft-dot-com email addresses that are now showing up in the kernel changelogs... :lol:

Yeah, Microsoft's newest strategy lately has been a return to the classic "embrace, extend, assimilate". We'll see about that third point, but the fact that they have a kernel-mode layer in Win10 to emulate a Linux/POSIX environment is a curious development.

duck
Donor
Donor

Unread postby duck » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:31 am

Kumba wrote:(though, I am probably using git wrong)

Don't worry about this, nobody uses git right.
:Octane: halo, octane Image knightrider, d i g i t a l AlphaPC164, pond, soekris net6501, misc cool stuff in a rack
N.B.: I tend to talk out of my ass. Do not take it too seriously.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”