IRIX Source code

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Hombre71
Donor
Donor

IRIX Source code

Unread postby Hombre71 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:32 am

Lazy question, who currently holds the rights to the IRIX source code, is it HPE ?

Possibly this was discussed before, I was just musing if with crowdfunding the current owner
might be persuaded to open source it.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Re: IRIX Source code

Unread postby jan-jaap » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:19 am

HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

It cost SUN millions of dollars to open source Solaris. In lawyers, and to rewrite code it didn't own but licensed from 3rd parties.
No crowd funding campaign is ever going to raise that kind of money, and there's simply no business case either when the target audience is a bunch of sentimental hobbyists.

Fortunately, the innovative (at the time) parts of IRIX, like XFS, have been open sourced ages ago.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Hombre71 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:11 am

Mhh yes, that is true indeed. I suppose the IRIX codebase is similarly complex.

What is, generally speaking, the most usuable (covering the most platforms) non-IRIX OS for ex SGI Mips boxen, OpenBSD?
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:36 am

jan-jaap wrote:HPE sold it's software business to Micro Focus last year: http://www.businessinsider.com/hewlett- ... ess-2016-9

I had the impression that all of SGI's assets, including discontinued software products, like IRIX, remained with HPE's Enterprise group. Is that incorrect? Note that other commercial operating systems, like HP-UX and NonStop remain with HPE.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

I haven't looked in a while but there are (or were) torrents available that claimed to be the IRIX source code. I never grabbed one because I assumed they were either fake or jailbait (remembering what the FBI did to Chris Toshok). In addition to the XFS source code that JJ mentioned, basically all of the IRIX multiprocessor code has been integrated into Linux, in fact it's that code that drove Linux to dominance of the Top-500.
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:57 am

I have two different copies of the source code. Its not illegal to possess but it is illegal to distribute. I store them on tapes in a safety deposit box.

Its not the full source. In both cases its a fair bit of the kernel code, a little userland and some other pieces. I'll release them when the threat of legal action is low enough to not bother.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:06 am

I'd be surprised if a bunch of the ex-sgi guys didn't have their own copies too. Anyway, as has often been stated what would really be useful would be the source code to MIPSPro, so we could add the stuff it needs that prevents us from compiling all this so-called modrun software... :roll:
Project:
Plan:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:29 pm

vishnu wrote:what would really be useful would be the source code to MIPSPro

? MIPSpro was more or less open sourced!

Well, that means they yanked out all those pesky old MIPS bits, bolted on a shiny IA64 back end, and replaced the front end (licensed from EDG compiler group) and replaced it with GCC equivalent.

It was called Pro64, later Open64. People added x86-64, and even a new MIPS backend. NVIDIA uses it for it's CUDA tools, I believe.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:47 am

jan-jaap wrote:? MIPSpro was more or less open sourced!

Well, that means they yanked out all those pesky old MIPS bits, bolted on a shiny IA64 back end, and replaced the front end (licensed from EDG compiler group) and replaced it with GCC equivalent.

It was called Pro64, later Open64. People added x86-64, and even a new MIPS backend. NVIDIA uses it for it's CUDA tools, I believe.

The open64.net website has been hijacked but it looks like what might be the University of Delaware's version of the code circa 2013 is on sourceforge:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/open64/
Project:
Plan:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”