How frequently you use your SGI (in 2017)?

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

How often you use your main SGI workstation?

Poll runs till Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:44 am

Daily for your work.
8%
Daily at home.
19%
Weekly.
25%
Monthly.
17%
Few times per year.
19%
Have not started it this year.
13%

Total votes: 48

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: How frequently you use your SGI (in 2017)?

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 pm

uunix wrote:
vishnu wrote:
jirka wrote:I use USB-Ethernet adapter from, too (actually, I didn't tried to use the WiFi at all).

I don't use WiFi either, my home LAN is completely ethernet. I do have a WiFi antenna pointed out my second story window though, by which I can surf the net using any one of my clueless neighbor's WiFi networks... 8-)

Or the clued-ish up ones if you set your SID to someone else's and capture the attempted login attempts.. ;)

But of course that would never work because wireless networking is so secure. ;)
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:48 pm

vishnu wrote:
uunix wrote:
vishnu wrote:
jirka wrote:I use USB-Ethernet adapter from, too (actually, I didn't tried to use the WiFi at all).

I don't use WiFi either, my home LAN is completely ethernet. I do have a WiFi antenna pointed out my second story window though, by which I can surf the net using any one of my clueless neighbor's WiFi networks... 8-)

Or the clued-ish up ones if you set your SID to someone else's and capture the attempted login attempts.. ;)

But of course that would never work because wireless networking is so secure. ;)

Indeed.. :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:08 pm

uunix wrote:
vishnu wrote:But of course that would never work because wireless networking is so secure. ;)

Indeed.. :shock:

I actually showed my next-door-neighbor how easy it was to hack into her WiFi with reaver. She'd never seen anyone use a command line interface before, she thought it was black magic. Cluebats are useless against denseness as thick as hers... :lol:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

opcode

Unread postby opcode » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:38 am

Since modern IT is so boring and bland now, I have been working on building my retro office upstairs. I finished the Indigo yesterday. I have the 600MHz O2 setup next to a dual 500MHz G4. I want a sanctuary where time doesn't matter. I want to be able to go in and close the door and work on HTML 3.2 pages, JS 1.3, Perl/CGI, etc. Throw on some tunes in XMMS and work on C stuff. Anyway, I want to have it done in the next few weeks. I need to find one of those mini aui (?) adapters for my PowerBook 540c to attach to the network.

I still use the Tezro and Octane2 (in Octane1 skins) for daily work since it is mostly in an SSH terminal. I just wish we had a friggin browser that worked.... I don't think my coding skills will ever be good enough to tackle that.
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

jirka
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jirka » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:39 pm

opcode wrote: I still use the Tezro and Octane2 (in Octane1 skins) for daily work since it is mostly in an SSH terminal.

Aren't these machines too noisy to be used as terminals?
:O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo:

opcode

Unread postby opcode » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:36 pm

The noise has never bothered me. I actually like it. I miss the days of scsi drives that sounded like coffee makers lol
:PrismDT: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

computron

Unread postby computron » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:12 am

used as daily few years ago....... until 2013-14

switched to PC since

Cheers

Eve

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:56 am

If a modern browser is the only thing holding you back, why not throw one on one of those Odroid boards, remote X SSH session into the thing and have that serve the browser to your IRIX machine. Then you could just use that to do the web heavy lifting.
:Octane:
Public GPG key: 3FFC 3492 FEE7 C954 63C9 9E6B F1D0 1A90 B4CE 93BD

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:00 am

That's what I was talking about. A Netgear GA620T network card has room for a small blower fan, ODROID-XU4S (off an HC1), a USB ethernet adapter, and 3D printed air shroud while still remaining single slot. We could make a board that plugs into a PCI slot on an SGI and contains everything needed to put the SGI on a NAT behind an ARM Linux box that transparently forwards all ports to the SGI on the inner network (or firewalls it, if security is a concern), and also serves as an X client. With a bit of software, it could be like an accelerator card.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:43 am

Dodoid wrote:That's what I was talking about. A Netgear GA620T network card has room for a small blower fan, ODROID-XU4S (off an HC1), a USB ethernet adapter, and 3D printed air shroud while still remaining single slot.

You, Sir, is giving good ideas.
I would actually be interested in something like that for 2 or 3 computers, legacy PCI and PCIe.
Some USB compatible card with internal USB port would be great for that. Even if the OS would not support USB, we should be fine as long as the slot is powered. With a bit of work, all cables could be hidden internally.
ImageImage

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:13 pm

Oh of course cables hidden. I am in the process of designing it as a single card. It would look like a modern graphics card, covered by a shroud (maybe I could put the SGI cube on it!). The main wires are as follows:

GA620T Ethernet <-> ODROID-XU4S Ethernet
GA620T 5V Power Pins --> ODROID-XU4S 5V Power Pins
GA620T 5V Power Pins --> 5V Motor of cooling fan
ODROID-XU4S USB <-> USB Ethernet Adapter (in place of GA620T ethernet port, allowing the ODROID to be the outside device and the gateway for the SGI)

I think all of these could be worked into cable runs in the shroud. Also worth noting is that in my current layout the side of the shroud would have a slot for the ODROID's SD card and possible a diagnostic UART serial port. Both of these could possibly be covered by the label on final units, but will be accessible without disassembly (make and distribute your own bootable Linux for the ODROID to customize how the card works). I hope to also work on an IRIX end of the software to launch ODROID software over remove X from the toolchest or Icon Catalog, and a web interface to admin the ODROID from the SGI's browser.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:53 am

opcode wrote:I just wish we had a friggin browser that worked.... I don't think my coding skills will ever be good enough to tackle that.

Krokodil wrote:
jirka wrote:Even the Tezro will not help you with WWW because the Firefox 3 is "too old" for many pages :-(

That's why I dream of a completely new and lightweight web browser. But probably it will never happen.

I think it's better to consider this battle lost. It's just not going to happen.

But many of the more modern browsers support a "headless" mode. But Surfing the Modern Web With Ancient Browsers isn't an IRIX-only problem. Imagine wrapping a headless browser into a web rendering proxy.

Code HERE. A screenshot of CNN in NCSA Mosaic to tease you:

:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

jirka
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jirka » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:02 am

jan-jaap wrote:But many of the more modern browsers support a "headless" mode. But Surfing the Modern Web With Ancient Browsers isn't an IRIX-only problem. Imagine wrapping a headless browser into a web rendering proxy.

It seems that running of remote browser from a modern X11 machine is also a solution.
With carefully tuned parameters of the SSH session it should be at least comparable with this proxy.

Now I use the parameters which were posted in this thread (I use SGI O2 + Intel Compute stick with Ubuntu) and it's usable.
:O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo:

Hombre71
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Hombre71 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:30 pm

Dodoid wrote:Oh of course cables hidden. I am in the process of designing it as a single card. It would look like a modern graphics card, covered by a shroud (maybe I could put the SGI cube on it!). The main wires are as follows:

GA620T Ethernet <-> ODROID-XU4S Ethernet
GA620T 5V Power Pins --> ODROID-XU4S 5V Power Pins
GA620T 5V Power Pins --> 5V Motor of cooling fan
ODROID-XU4S USB <-> USB Ethernet Adapter (in place of GA620T ethernet port, allowing the ODROID to be the outside device and the gateway for the SGI)

I think all of these could be worked into cable runs in the shroud. Also worth noting is that in my current layout the side of the shroud would have a slot for the ODROID's SD card and possible a diagnostic UART serial port. Both of these could possibly be covered by the label on final units, but will be accessible without disassembly (make and distribute your own bootable Linux for the ODROID to customize how the card works). I hope to also work on an IRIX end of the software to launch ODROID software over remove X from the toolchest or Icon Catalog, and a web interface to admin the ODROID from the SGI's browser.

Sounds like a cool project! Go for it.
:Tezro: :Fuel: :O2: :320: :1600SW:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:54 pm

I cannot get anything but 16 bit from rdesktop.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Return to “SGI: Discussion”