Wanted: Octane

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
1byte

Wanted: Octane

Unread postby 1byte » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:23 pm

Hello

I am seeking an Octane machine. The prices on the bay are ridiculous, and there seem to be a few people who have plenty of these machines sitting around.

NetBSD does not support the IP30, but does support other machines. I would like to resolve this problem, however I have been unable to locate an affordable machine. If the SGIDepot's prices are to be believed, SGI may not be for me, however they seem awfully inflated.

I am willing to drive, or pay shipping, or both. If someone might advise me the best course of action, please do.
:Octane:
Public GPG key: 3FFC 3492 FEE7 C954 63C9 9E6B F1D0 1A90 B4CE 93BD

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Wanted: Octane

Unread postby uunix » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:50 am

1byte wrote:Hello

I am seeking an Octane machine. The prices on the bay are ridiculous, and there seem to be a few people who have plenty of these machines sitting around.

NetBSD does not support the IP30, but does support other machines. I would like to resolve this problem, however I have been unable to locate an affordable machine. If the SGIDepot's prices are to be believed, SGI may not be for me, however they seem awfully inflated.

I am willing to drive, or pay shipping, or both. If someone might advise me the best course of action, please do.

May be a good idea to put your location on, say Italy for example.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:55 am

First of all welcome,

It would be wise to tell a bit more about yourself and where you live and what you do. Putting netBSD on an Octane would be really cool, but do you have experience in Linux/BSD Kernel workings? Or have you ran SGI systems before?
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:07 am

dexter1 wrote:First of all welcome,
It would be wise to tell a bit more about yourself and where you live and what you do. Putting netBSD on an Octane would be really cool, but do you have experience in Linux/BSD Kernel workings? Or have you ran SGI systems before?

I have a bit of knowledge regarding the the Linux Kernel, and I've just started getting into BSD this past year. I have never had an SGI system before, but I've been lusting after one for a while (also an IBM RS/6000). I have been hacking on older systems. My latest project as been working NetBSD on my Mac IIci, which now has a dead power supply :cry: . I'm also used to going it alone, with the odd support from IRC or the mailing lists. This looks to be a very nice community and I am glad to have found it.

I live in Kentucky, I'm a cinematographer shooting feature film and television from Chicago to Atlanta. When I'm not working, I get frustrated with old hardware, and try to keep active in the early music and church music scenes.

uunix wrote:May be a good idea to put your location on, say Italy for example.

Profile Updated!

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:06 am

1byte wrote:Hello
however they seem awfully inflated.

Ian's SGI Depot is more geared towards selling to commercial entities and thus the higher prices, because they can afford it. But he is a good person to deal with.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:

dexter1

Unread postby dexter1 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:36 am

Krokodil wrote:Ian's SGI Depot is more geared towards selling to commercial entities and thus the higher prices, because they can afford it. But he is a good person to deal with.

He's from Kentucky, so shipping from Europe might be a tad expensive. But i'm sure there's an SGI enthusiast nearby who can help him out.
:Crimson: :PI: :Indigo: :O2: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP:

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:29 pm

dexter1 wrote:
Krokodil wrote:Ian's SGI Depot is more geared towards selling to commercial entities and thus the higher prices, because they can afford it. But he is a good person to deal with.

He's from Kentucky, so shipping from Europe might be a tad expensive. But i'm sure there's an SGI enthusiast nearby who can help him out.

i am going to see if I can't snag that machine from eBay. But if someone wanted to donate a machine to the cause, that would be welcome too!
I also seem to keep looking at these big deskside machines and going "I wish..."

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:26 pm

I think Mashek is around there, but those prices are also pretty high. Shipping around SGIs is not cheap, so something near you is your best option.
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

josehill

Unread postby josehill » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:40 pm

Dodoid wrote:I think Mashek is around there, but those prices are also pretty high.

Doug Mashek, like Ian, sells primarily to commercial customers that still rely on SGI equipment for their work, and so the systems come with more assurance and backing than the systems one typically might find on eBay and craigslist. That brings a price that may seem high by hobbyist standards, but it is perfectly reasonable for operations that rely on the equipment for critical operations. When you buy a system from someone like Ian or Doug, you're not just buying the system. You're also buying Ian's or Doug's reputation and know-how.

MrBill

Unread postby MrBill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:36 pm

I may have one I can sell to you, i have many spares. I can get back to you with the specs. You mentioned an interest in ibm gear as well, would a ibm as/400 with a terminal be of interest to you?

Shipping on the last octane ran around $100. If you have interest in the as/400, local pickup or freight would be the only option. Located in Florida.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: :Indigo2: :Crimson:Image :Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2: :Onyx2: :Onyx: :OnyxR: :BA213:

Zerolapse

Unread postby Zerolapse » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:06 pm

You might also consider that if you want to run BSD on Octane...OpenBSD already supports it and many of the other newer systems (either to run or to use the source code as a reference for your NetBSD work). I've paid as little as $30 (plus shipping of course) for decent Octanes on ebay...keep your eyes open (I currently own 4, but at one time had as many as 10).

See: http://www.openbsd.org/sgi.html
:O3x06R: :ChallengeL: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :Indy: (4x Challenge S)
The current fleet.

1byte

Unread postby 1byte » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:35 am

Octane purchased. Thanks!

Return to “Hardware Wanted”