Eclectic Light: "We need to document macOS"

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
josehill

Eclectic Light: "We need to document macOS"

Unread postby josehill » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:46 am

An interesting post about the decline in the quality of Apple's documentation -

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/08/13/las ... ent-macos/

(The author is Howard Oakley, who has written some very nice utilities, like the Consolation log browser for macOS Sierra.)

uunix
Donor
Donor

Re: Eclectic Light: "We need to document macOS"

Unread postby uunix » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:42 am

josehill wrote:An interesting post about the decline in the quality of Apple's documentation -

https://eclecticlight.co/2017/08/13/las ... ent-macos/

(The author is Howard Oakley, who has written some very nice utilities, like the Consolation log browser for macOS Sierra.)

Gone are the days when you took a technical manual to bed and leafing through the pages, thinking, mmm that sounds good.. is it worth getting out of bed and firing up the machine.

I don't know if he is correct with apple, but working on a Microsoft platform, I know that, I tend to by-pass Microsoft pages and get far better honest answers from other sites from real people.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:24 am

uunix wrote:Gone are the days when you took a technical manual to bed and leafing through the pages, thinking, mmm that sounds good.. is it worth getting out of bed and firing up the machine.

+1 on that
When I was a kid and we would go to the farm, dad would not let me always take the computer (tower, CRT, model M, mouse, heavy machinery), and I would bring the manuals instead. I think I've read the Windows 95 and the DOS 6.22 manuals 1000x times. They were just deliciously written and well illustrated.

We had an IBM Aptiva at the time, not the best computer ever, but the hardware manual was so good as well, wow. I still have it somewhere around.
ImageImage

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:13 am

Mac OS X Internals is a great read, but it's 1) not written by Apple 2) limited to 10.4 and earlier, though this is perfectly fine with me (typing on a Tiger iMac G4).

Apple only supports developers to the minimum extent software can actually get written. Even their TNs and other documentation before, haphazard as it was, had better coverage than now which is basically annotating the header files.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

Return to “Apple”