SCSI Storage devices

Additional operating system/hardware discussion (Windows, Linux, *BSD and others)
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
weGuru

SCSI Storage devices

Unread postby weGuru » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:53 am

Im a collector of old and discontinued storage devices as well as all things unix. And so far the only devices ive managed to use in IRIX is:

Iomega Jaz Drive
DDS 120 Tape drive

These other devices is no go

Exabyte Tapedrive - Termination and ID is set correct but drive fails during boot of IRIX and dont work
Bernoulli Box 90mb version - IRIX finds it as a floppy but cant access disks
Sony MO Disk unit RMO-S570 . IRIX finds it and it shows up on dekstop as optical, but states disk is not loaded even if the disk is in the unit.

Is there anything i can do to make these work? Tested on IRIX 6.5.30, 6.5.15 and 6.5.22

Ive also got a SUN H/V Differential SCSI array but no H/V cards yet and H/V cards and cables are not that easy to come by cheap
:Indy: R4600 :Indy: R4600 :Indy: R5000 :Indigo2IMP: R10k :O2: R5000 :Octane: R10k :Indigo: R4400
Sun Ultra 10, Sun 220R, Sun 420R, Sun 670MP, Sun E250, Sun IPC, Sun Ultra 60, Sun Ultra Ent 2, Sparcserver 5, IBM R/S 6000 model 590, DEC Vaxstation 4000/90

Dalplex

Re: SCSI Storage devices

Unread postby Dalplex » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:25 pm

I have used Sun 711 without issue.

I have a Sun A1000 array but not trying yet.
:Indigo: :O2: :Octane: :Octane:

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 am

I've used a SUN D1000 array with a Challenge S and an Onyx or Onyx2 -- these are all systems with the (high voltage) differential SCSI ports to match. Worked like a charm.

I don't know if all Exabyte units work, but SGI used to sell them. I had one in my Onyx or Challenge but it failed.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:09 am

weGuru wrote:Sony MO Disk unit RMO-S570

Don't be so surprised, SGI is so beautiful, but when you have to do something serious like accessing a MO media ... you find that SGI is actually so exciting like a basket of plugs.

I had a similar problem with MO, DVD-RAM and REV, and I got frustrated and very bored about that: IRIX was unable to correctly read/write media, and the Firewire just doesn't work as it should be. IRIX has an interesting filesystem (XFS) which scales on big irons, but ... for me it's as useful as blowing in the wind, at least for my daily needs.

The best I can I suggest you is to plug your MO-driver into a linux box, then you can try to share resources between IRIX and PC through NFS.
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

ajw99uk

Unread postby ajw99uk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:16 pm

weGuru wrote:Sony MO Disk unit RMO-S570 . IRIX finds it and it shows up on dekstop as optical, but states disk is not loaded even if the disk is in the unit.

Sorry, coming late to this as not been readong Nekochan so often recently - but then a few weeks ago I would not have been able to share more recent experience with SCSI removeables.

What format is the disk you are using? The other day I put a Syquest cartridge into the drive fitted in my Fuel, and IRIX was aware of the presence of a disk but would not mount it - I suspect because the disk has a 'PC/BIOS' (DOS) partition table rather than being formatted as a super-capacity floppy. However, it sounds like your MO may be stuck at the prior "is there a disk here?" stage rather than my "there's a disk, but I don't know what to do with it" stage.

With a Firewire drive, I find I have to mount using an explicit path on the command line; IRIX puts an icon on desktop but the system manager cannot mount from there. So it may be worth trying console to mount a MO disk or seeing what fx makes of its '/dev/dsk/dks1d6vol' device (mutatis mutandis for your MO's SCSI ID and the controller ID, of course!).
Fuel; Indigo2; Inspiron 531 WinXP/Win10/debian-buster; Inspiron 4100 debian-buster; RiscPC Kinetic/448MB/RISCOS4.39; RPi B/256MB RISCOS5.23; RPi2 Raspbian-buster; A5000/33MHz/FPA11/8MB/RISCOS3.11; A540/25MHz/FPA10/16MB/RISCOS3.11 or RISCiX1.21

Return to “Miscellaneous Operating Systems/Hardware”