is something going wrong with the movie industry?

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
Y888099

is something going wrong with the movie industry?

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 am

alien covenant (film 2017)
transformer the last knight(film 2017)
Ghost in the Shell (film 2017)

Movies made with thousand and thousand computer graphic effects and ... ridiculous scripts for actors and actresses along the story in the movie. I wonder if ... once paid guys for CGI, they haven't enough money to pay script writers, so they (Ridley Scot? I am thinking about YOU) have to engage Mickey Mouse as scripts-writer :roll: :roll: :roll:

Covenant is an example of this, it's the worst movie ever, check it out. You're an astronaut in the deep space, light years far from Earth, your mission is to reach a far planet for colonization, scientists have planned and simulated the mission for 10 years, but ... you get a signal floating in the space, from a "may be human who is singing a (shitty) song" so ... why don't we change the mission to reach the source and see who is singing?

oh, and once reached the alien planet, do they check for pathogenic agent? No. Do they wear protective suits? No. Just open the star ship's door, and get out like if it was a boy scouts Sunday trip.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

transformer the last knight doesn't talk about the history of Cybertron, neither Unicron. At the end of the movie you wonder -1- who was Quintessa, since she appeared like a crazy mistress, and -2- who the frog has repaired Megatron? Can't he die? Every Trasformers dies once damaged, but Megatron doesn't. Last time we saw it (in "transformer age of extinction") it was resurrected as Galvatron but made of Lego. Of course, now we know that lego = transformio mini-cubes. transformer the animated movie (Transformers: The Movie, 1986) talked about the origin of Cybertron as an industry where a third for of aliens, called Quintessons, wanted to build robots in bondage as mechanical slaves. Their AI evolved, and they rebelled. It makes sense, whereas here we want to talk about the legend of Merlin the wizard. Really? So we learn that the magic is hyper technology whose purpose is completely undefined. Why Quintessa build transformers? We doesn't know, neither She knows ... it just happened.

Last time I was at the airport, it took three hours to fly back home because the alarm was triggered by a suitcase. They thought it was a bomb, whereas it was a ... dildo with a motor on it. The motor got activated and vibration made people to think we were in danger. At the end of the investigation, a lady had bought it before getting the plane since her travel was a long trip and she could have been bored, so she entered the Sexy-Shop and bought a toy. Just for fun. When I think about Quintessa, I have the same feeling about causality.

LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ghost in the Shell doesn't respect comics, it's a bit more figurative on talking about cyborgs but the narration goes too much linear resulting boring and it ends with a no sense since the enemy should be an artificial intelligence. But it is not, neither we have a fusion. So ...

but you can enjoy Scarlett Johansson undressed for the 90% of the movie :lol: :lol: :lol:
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Re: is something going wrong with the movie industry?

Unread postby Shiunbird » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:53 pm

I'm a very amateur movie appreciator, but I've noticed that Hollywood goes in cycles (with some overlap in between):

- A couple of years of war movies (Soldier Ryan, for example, part of that cycle), then you have war movies every few months.
- Then a couple of years of epic fantasy stuff (Lord of The Rings, Eragorn, Aragorn, whatever)
- Then super hero stuff every 3 months.
- Now I guess we are running out of sci-fi ideas for this cycle, and will have a decade gap until it comes again.

I enjoy Sci-Fi, but boy, it is hard to get it done hard. I can't even go to the cinema anymore, because the kind of thing you describe irritates me and I can't keep my mouth shut.

Also, I can't get all the happy ends. When I watched that space movie with George Clooney (for 10 minutes) and the rest of Sandra Bullock trying to survive (I forgot the name of the movie), and dude... that "jet pack fire extinguisher" moment, I just couldn't take it from there. She should have died. Please, Hollywood, bring some sad ends now and then. It's ok, if your plot is good.

(I'll definitely check Ghost in the Shell however)

commodorejohn

Unread postby commodorejohn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:16 pm

The reason movie scripts suck is because they're either cobbled together by "writers" who are little more than glorified secretaries attempting to turn piles of boardroom notes from producer meetings into a functional screenplay, or they're written by somebody who might have some vague clue what they're doing and then suffer death-by-a-thousand-cuts when the producers decide to change this, that, and the other thing halfway into shooting because they think it'll make more money that way.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Yup, it's more than manifest in the last two Alien movies, Prometheus and Covenant. Lesson learned: when you see a shitty alien artefact ... go on and put your face on it. Even a microcephalic sub-human would have understood that it's not so good to do.

Those scripts writers believe we have the same intelligence of their characters, as in the last IronMan3, where Tony Stark looks like the "tin man" of the Land of Oz . His psychology is too fragile due to what happened in avengers (he went into a worm hole), but there is definitively too much Xmas in the movie and people explode for silly reasons, and ... Pepper, the red hair secretary, has become the badass hero, with a strange new Bin Laden super villain .. whose terrorism epilogue is to fart in the bathroom.

Really, is it IronMan? What the fsck? From Iron to Tin, we make progress :lol: :lol: :lol:

- - - -

btw, “I am Quintessa. The Prime of Life.” - Quintessa to Optimus Prime. I am still laughing loud, on youtube, Comics Girl: "I am Quintessa. The mistress of puppets" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:48 pm

Despite the horrible reviews I actually watched ISRA 88 (a.k.a. Mission 88 a.k.a. Beyond the Edge) and quite enjoyed it. Not the physics, because they got that all wrong and then gave up even trying to explain it, but since I think that other universes exist beyond our own (bubble universes as described in the Eternal Inflation model) I'm always interested in movies that explore the possibility that separate universes might somehow be able to communicate. Although, if Eternal Inflation is right (which I think it is), that can actually never happen... :|
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:52 am

despite I can't believe actual old man Logan, as you know Logan is a particular mutant whose DNA makes him to regenerate, therefore he should live forever and never become "old man", the movie introduce a context where it may happen. It's consistent!

so, I mostly agree with ComicGirl about Logan: it's consistent, and characters are well designed in the context they move :D :D :D

She is also right about DC movies. They usually suck ( e.g. see Suicide Squad ... :roll: :roll: :roll: ), with only one exception: Wonder Woman! It works :D

---
edit:

back to Alien movies, here it is explained how Every Xenomorph Fits With Every ALIEN Film. It makes sense :D
Last edited by Y888099 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:02 am

Watched Ant Man last night and The Circle.

Ant man was actually quite good, although I found the concept of (at times) watching dots fly round the screen akin to a Flea Circus on a low budget. That said, a good film.

The Circle, everything in had been done before (in a series called Black Mirror (UK Channel 4 Films I think). It seemed to me (and I don't know for a fact) that this was based on a good book and the translation to film just didn't work. No effort was put into the character relationships and explosive, shocking moments, were followed by nothing.. To much time spent at the beginning, not enough spent on the consequences of the huge moments. Still watchable.

Most films now though are just rushed. CGI etc, makes it all too easy. I wonder in the future we will have a retro scene, whereby films are made without any CGI and it will become a cult.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:44 am

uunix wrote:The Circle, everything in had been done before (in a series called Black Mirror (UK Channel 4 Films I think). It seemed to me (and I don't know for a fact) that this was based on a good book and the translation to film just didn't work. No effort was put into the character relationships and explosive, shocking moments, were followed by nothing.. To much time spent at the beginning, not enough spent on the consequences of the huge moments. Still watchable.

I enjoyed The Circle as well, but oh boy, they deserve the anti-oscar for poor character development. And they act well, making it look even more bizarre.
It was mind blowing.

It felt like "why is she doing that?"
"why is he doing that?"
"wait what?"
"waaa....?"
End.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:43 am

"Terra Formars", is one of few movies made from a comics, which is faithful to the original. Awesome movie, pure entertainment, full of Japanese fighting. WOOOOOOOOOOOAHHHH I love it :D :D :D :D

Space Pirate Captain Harlock ... well, the 2010 animated movie sucks a lot. We have the humanity had outgrown its capacity to repatriate that many people and thus began the "Homecoming War;" where the many factions of humanity battled for a stake on Earth. Goot beginning, and the war was long and bloody, and it didn't subside until an authoritarian universal government by the name of the Gaia Sanction declares Earth a sacred planet, and thus forbidden for humanity to repopulate, and to prevent various factions of humanity from immigrating back to Earth, an elite wing of the Gaia Fleet was tasked to defend Earth: The Deathshadow Martyr Fleet, led by Harlock.

All good introduction with a strong potential, and Yuki Key is sexy, even in her space suit, and when she is naked you can even enjoy the zero gravity effect when she has a shower(1), but ...

... but when you look at Harlock ... he looks more like a terrorist than a pirate. Insane, mad, out of control, without a real purpose. Well, what the fsck is his real purpose? if watch the movie you will probably drop your head on the seat on this. He doesn't have a plan, he is simply going around, taking pirates on his ship, and collecting bombs. He is tempted to activate all of the bombs to rewind the universe into a singularity, which "might" (they are not sure) restart it as a new fresh start, and Harlock is more than one hundred years old thanks to a "dark matter" which has absolutely no physical sense (and why don't radiations kill a human being, in first place?). Used to propel the spaceship faster than light speed, it caused a disaster on Earth, and made Harlock immortal. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't work at all.

What. The. Fsck?!?!?!

They wasted a good story for a basket of ... money. :roll: :roll: :roll:

(1) good trick to keep the male-watcher interested, but ... it's physically impossible to have a zero gravity shower.
Without gravity how can water fall down? Because Future Science :lol: :lol: :lol: ?

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:12 pm

Y888099 wrote:(1) good trick to keep the male-watcher interested, but ... it's physically impossible to have a zero gravity shower.
Without gravity how can water fall down? Because Future Science :lol: :lol: :lol: ?

You can force an object (water) in a direction in space, so a water shower should work with pressure or a pump.... BUT!! What happens when the water droplets hit the shower floor.. or your body ?
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:21 pm

uunix wrote:BUT!! What happens when the water droplets hit the shower floor.. or your body ?

You can do amazing experiments with Water in Zero Gravity, sound waves are visible when the pass through a liquid, since without gravity water is like jelly-like blob, thus the shower doesn't work, especially to "flush out" the soap. Here we have a big problem. The common soap is sensitive to frequencies, and without gravity vibrations create a range of movement whose result is just something which moves around but remains on the body :D

Inside the cylindrical shower capsule Yuki had put a lot of soap on her body (I presume mixed with some liquid to moisturize her skin), and then she did an acrobatic movement in which she turned her head over the heels in the shower and finished on her feet. A rotation of 360 degree, you can do such an acrobatic movement in the space at zero gravity, even astronauts do it in their spaceship, but ... how can water flush out the soap? You need gravity for this (or a different approach, see below).

So, I wonder if
  • 1) the acrobatic movement was like a centrifuge which forces soap particles to flush out. Of course not the whole soap drops down, and it doesn't drop on feet, but a great part of it might be removed from the body. Of course then Yuki still needed a towel, and a lot of thick absorbent cloths for drying herself and wiping her skin.
  • 2) there was an hidden button inside the shower which enables/disables the gravity engine on demand, so everything worked like a common shower on the Earth planet

I say, for me, 2) it a more trusted hypothesis.

Thin girl, btw. Very thin. Little mass, elastic properties judging by that scene :D

Space Hygiene, Showering in Space, How to Wash Your Hair in Space. NASA.gov Video

Return to “Everything Else”