New octane does nothing

New to SGIs? Need help getting things going? This is the forum for you!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
LarBob
Donor
Donor

Re: New octane does nothing

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:33 pm

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote:I don't think any of the Octane power supply circuit diagrams ever made it out into the wild, wasted quite a bit of time trying to find one on the gray market...

It's okay lol, thanks. I bought the Cherokee PSU off of eBay, supposed to come Wednesday. Stay tuned I guess... :lol:

If nothing else it will get you to the next failure level... ;)

Okay, so the PSU arrived and I put it in. The PSU fan spins up, if I take the front casing of the Octane off there's a green light on the board, but there's no front light and no display.
:Octane: Aezora - 2xR10k 250 MHz - 1 GB RAM - 6.5.30

Kotomo

Unread postby Kotomo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 pm

LarBob wrote:
uunix wrote:No sound.. do you have speakers plugged in?
Does the PSU 'CLICK' when you plug the kettle lead in? (Get your ear close).

If it's been transported by car or post, you may want to reseat everything. Your best bet.

Although yes.. it sounds like PSU gone to the great PSU pile along with a lot of my own. I doubt you will get anything from the serial, but it's worth a shot.

By no sound I meant there was no click from the psu, no fan whir, etc. sorry.
I also don't think the serial would do anything either as I don't hear anything at all from the machine.
Also, I reseated the cpu board and everything but there's no dice. I think the PSU is just borked. (how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?)

From my limited experience with Octanes and SGI's in general, I can offer three scenario's I have come across that could help.

I know this is an asinine question, but when you reseated "everything" did that include the memory modules?

I was gifted an Octane main board with a CPU module that supposedly did not work. When I went to try it out in one my systems, I noticed the backplane never seated quite flush and I felt the locking mechanisms were not moving correctly. I found the screws holding the locking mechanisms to be quite loose. Tightening things up got it to seat better and work, no prob.

The PROM password reset jumper, if set in the position to reset the password, will leave the screen blank for roughly 10 minutes before displaying anything when you first power it on. The same board I got for free also had a PROM password set on it, so I got to experience reseting it first hand.

I like learning through observing other people, so this guy's video points out right where the jumper is on the main board:

If any of these do the trick, the lightbar on the front should turn red shortly after powering on and stay red until it's done performing the hardware tests.

I have certainly come across the failed power supply problem with just the relay 'click' and nothing else with two of my Octanes. I also tore apart the PSU, but don't see any smoking gun in the components. This is definitely a common failure of the Lucent PSU's.
:Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Fuel: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2000: :O2000:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:22 pm

Kotomo wrote:
LarBob wrote:
uunix wrote:No sound.. do you have speakers plugged in?
Does the PSU 'CLICK' when you plug the kettle lead in? (Get your ear close).

If it's been transported by car or post, you may want to reseat everything. Your best bet.

Although yes.. it sounds like PSU gone to the great PSU pile along with a lot of my own. I doubt you will get anything from the serial, but it's worth a shot.

By no sound I meant there was no click from the psu, no fan whir, etc. sorry.
I also don't think the serial would do anything either as I don't hear anything at all from the machine.
Also, I reseated the cpu board and everything but there's no dice. I think the PSU is just borked. (how much am I expecting to pay for a replacement anyway..?)

From my limited experience with Octanes and SGI's in general, I can offer three scenario's I have come across that could help.

I know this is an asinine question, but when you reseated "everything" did that include the memory modules?

I was gifted an Octane main board with a CPU module that supposedly did not work. When I went to try it out in one my systems, I noticed the backplane never seated quite flush and I felt the locking mechanisms were not moving correctly. I found the screws holding the locking mechanisms to be quite loose. Tightening things up got it to seat better and work, no prob.

The PROM password reset jumper, if set in the position to reset the password, will leave the screen blank for roughly 10 minutes before displaying anything when you first power it on. The same board I got for free also had a PROM password set on it, so I got to experience reseting it first hand.

I like learning through observing other people, so this guy's video points out right where the jumper is on the main board:

If any of these do the trick, the lightbar on the front should turn red shortly after powering on and stay red until it's done performing the hardware tests.

I have certainly come across the failed power supply problem with just the relay 'click' and nothing else with two of my Octanes. I also tore apart the PSU, but don't see any smoking gun in the components. This is definitely a common failure of the Lucent PSU's.

I have reseated pretty much everything as far as I know, I even tried a different CPU module to no avail. I can try reseating the memory again.. and also it's not set to reset the prom. I ordered a new PSU and the fans spin and a green light shows on the board, but nothing happens besides that. No output from serial or anything either.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:48 pm

LarBob wrote:I have reseated pretty much everything as far as I know, I even tried a different CPU module to no avail. I can try reseating the memory again.. and also it's not set to reset the prom. I ordered a new PSU and the fans spin and a green light shows on the board, but nothing happens besides that. No output from serial or anything either.

And you're sure you're using a null modem cable on the serial port, right? Set to 9600 baud? A regular RS232 cable won't work. Very odd to have a bad PSU and then two bad CPUs. Now you have to take the whole thing completely apart, including the crossbow, look everything over closely and blow all the dust off. In particular, look the compression connectors over carefully, a couple of wrecked or missing pins could be the culprit...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:09 pm

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:I have reseated pretty much everything as far as I know, I even tried a different CPU module to no avail. I can try reseating the memory again.. and also it's not set to reset the prom. I ordered a new PSU and the fans spin and a green light shows on the board, but nothing happens besides that. No output from serial or anything either.

And you're sure you're using a null modem cable on the serial port, right? Set to 9600 baud? A regular RS232 cable won't work. Very odd to have a bad PSU and then two bad CPUs. Now you have to take the whole thing completely apart, including the crossbow, look everything over closely and blow all the dust off. In particular, look the compression connectors over carefully, a couple of wrecked or missing pins could be the culprit...

It should be, yes, and I made sure it was set to 9600 baud. Maybe I can check the connectors again.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:24 pm

LarBob wrote:It should be, yes, and I made sure it was set to 9600 baud. Maybe I can check the connectors again.

What com software are you using? I use minicom on Linux, works great...
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:48 am

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:It should be, yes, and I made sure it was set to 9600 baud. Maybe I can check the connectors again.

What com software are you using? I use minicom on Linux, works great...

I'm using Tera Term.

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 am

Okay, I honestly have no idea what to try. I tried reseating the RAM once again to no avail, I'm kind of lost on what else to try. I double checked the prom jumper but it's fine, not sure what to try next at all. The connections on the boards all look fine as well, nothing wrong there as far as I can tell.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:45 am

LarBob wrote:Okay, I honestly have no idea what to try. I tried reseating the RAM once again to no avail, I'm kind of lost on what else to try. I double checked the prom jumper but it's fine, not sure what to try next at all. The connections on the boards all look fine as well, nothing wrong there as far as I can tell.

If it was bad RAM you'd be getting something at the serial terminal, I fear your tera term isn't reading the Octane's serial output the way it should... :roll:
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:16 am

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:Okay, I honestly have no idea what to try. I tried reseating the RAM once again to no avail, I'm kind of lost on what else to try. I double checked the prom jumper but it's fine, not sure what to try next at all. The connections on the boards all look fine as well, nothing wrong there as far as I can tell.

If it was bad RAM you'd be getting something at the serial terminal, I fear your tera term isn't reading the Octane's serial output the way it should... :roll:

Okay, I'll set up Linux on the machine and try with minicom when I'm home.

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:40 pm

vishnu wrote:

Okay, I set up minicom on a debian box and get nothing over serial still. I ordered another null modem cable just to be sure and it' s coming Saturday.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 pm

LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote:

Okay, I set up minicom on a debian box and get nothing over serial still. I ordered another null modem cable just to be sure and it' s coming Saturday.

The folks that sold you this stuff, it was "as is" not "known good" then eh? I think that's a smart move on the new null modem cable. Did you buy the extra CPU module from a different seller? Did that seller say it was known good?
Project:
Plan:

LarBob
Donor
Donor

Unread postby LarBob » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:53 am

vishnu wrote:
LarBob wrote:
vishnu wrote:

The folks that sold you this stuff, it was "as is" not "known good" then eh? I think that's a smart move on the new null modem cable. Did you buy the extra CPU module from a different seller? Did that seller say it was known good?

Yeah, they said the machine was "working the last time that they tested it" and that they weren't "able to test it" (which I know is bs, I just thought it'd be cool to get an octane and try to get it working if it was messed up for the price I got it for). The CPU module was from the same seller, it should be working

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:40 am

Can you tell if the fan on the crossbow is spinning up? I just took a look at 1.4 crossbows on fleabay, and they're pretty expensive. In fact pretty much everything SGI related on fleabay is more expensive than it was 10 years ago... :roll:
Project:
Plan:

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:58 am

i have a 1.3 xbow if it turns out bad I'll send to you for $60 inc. shipping. But before we throw more parts at it I want to slow down - I'd like to see it tested first
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Return to “Getting Started, Documentation, Tips & Tricks”