Announcement - Fuel ATX PSU adapters available for purchase

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
mapesdhs

Re: Announcement - Fuel ATX PSU adapters available for purchase

Unread postby mapesdhs » Mon May 15, 2017 11:35 am

For those getting their units from me, I have received the box, just gotta finish off an urgent O2 shipment and then I can sort them out.

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Mon May 15, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi Ian, will these be sent via UPS, or via another service? I'm in the process of moving house (sent my new address to Kubatyszko). Just conscious from past experience that my nearest UPS depot is over 1 hour drive away (if I miss the delivery). If it'll be Royal Mail (or similar), then no problem.

Thanks!
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Mon May 15, 2017 1:37 pm

mapesdhs wrote:For those getting their units from me, I have received the box, just gotta finish off an urgent O2 shipment and then I can sort them out.

Ian.

No rush for mine chap, you can package them up with my keyboards.. let me know when and how much.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Trippynet, normally I'd just use RM (ie. airmail) for items like this, ie. lightweight.

uunix, ok! Did you reply to my last email btw? Not sure...

Ian.
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 am

Grand, RM is fine for me. As with uunix, no desperate rush for mine as my existing Fuel PSU is still working fine at the moment. And with moving house, I doubt it'll be powered up again until early June anyway.
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Blackwolf

Unread postby Blackwolf » Wed May 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Just wanted to say that I purchased one of these adapters, and it worked PERFECTLY! My Fuel is up and running. I couldn't be more pleased with the product as well as the professionalism of the seller. It shipped out very fast and was packed well. Just awesome all around!

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Wed May 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Blackwolf wrote:Just wanted to say that I purchased one of these adapters, and it worked PERFECTLY! My Fuel is up and running. I couldn't be more pleased with the product as well as the professionalism of the seller. It shipped out very fast and was packed well. Just awesome all around!

Thank you for the purchase, I'm glad the adapter worked and happy to have helped.
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16732341
(now ships from USA), In stock!

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Wed May 17, 2017 5:26 pm

I've finished sorting the O2 I had to deal with, so I'll be dealing with the adapters I've received next week, will email the five people over the weekend (it's my bday tomorrow, so taking a little break today/tomorrow, brother visiting).

Ian.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

kubatyszko
Donor
Donor

Unread postby kubatyszko » Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 pm

Another 3 adapters are now available for purchase and immediate shipment - I've listed them on eBay but forum members are welcome to contact me here (usual nekochan member price of $75 applies here).

Cheers.
Designer of Fuel ATX PSU adapter board : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16732341
(now ships from USA), In stock!

tomvos
Donor
Donor

Unread postby tomvos » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 am

Hey, just a quick update ... I received my ATX PSU adapter a few weeks ago. Thanks a lot. It looks pretty good. I had no chance - or should I say no need - to use it for its intended purpose, but it's good to know there's a fallback once the PSU goes to heaven.

Shipping was handled by Ian and as everybody here knows, Ian is the man for shipping things in a save way. So thanks to both of you, Kubatyszko and Ian.
:Fuel: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy:
Where subtlety fails us we must simply make do with cream pies.

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:54 am

I'd like to add my thanks too. Mine is also a spare for when my Fuel PSU eventually dies, so I've not used it yet. However, it looks very professionally made indeed, I'm impressed! The photos at the beginning of this thread don't do it justice at all.
Systems in use:

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 am

Indeed! I'm posting the final adapter from the extra six tomorrow btw.

It would be good if we could build up a list of known-ok PSUs that work with this adapter (plus any usage notes) in this thread, perhaps edited into the first post or something?

Hey Trippynet, what quiet fans did you put in your Indigo2? I'm guessing though they wouldn't be suitable for a MaxIMPACT config...

I have a Tezro rackmount I bought from mopar (solid dude btw, definitely recommended), main thing I want to do is replace the fans with quiet versions, it's way too loud atm.

Oops, I digress... best PM me for the fan stuff. :D

Ian.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:42 am

Why do the PSU's in fuel's seem to fail so often?

Does anybody know what aspect of the power supply is failing? Cant they be fixed?

What other SGI models have dodgy PSU's?

Nicholas.
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:
Image... Image ...:arrow:
Image................Image ......:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image....:arrow:

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:45 am

Irinikus wrote:Why do the PSU's in fuel's seem to fail so often?

Simple, it's called "old age".

PSUs contain electrolytic capacitors that do dry out over time, they also tend to get very warm when in use. Bear in mind that most Fuel PSUs out there are a good 10-15 years old now, and the repeated thermal cycles and ageing components inside them means that more and more of them are starting to fail.

We're seeing the same with PSUs on other old SGIs as well. Hunt around here and you'll see plenty of Indy, Indigo2, Octane PSUs etc. that have also bitten the dust in similar fashion. If anything, the Fuel has a positive aspect, which is that modern PC PSUs (well, some of them) can be made to work with the Fuel, and are the same size. The problem is a lot greater for other SGIs that take completely different and far more proprietary PSUs.

For fixing them, sometimes getting them re-capped can bring a dead PSU back to life, but of course if a PSU has failed and some other components have blown, repairing one might be more difficult.
Systems in use:

Irinikus

Unread postby Irinikus » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:18 am

I was wondering if it was not maybe due to the fact the SGI was making use of slightly under-rated power supplies for the Fuel.

Electrolytic capacitors do tend to dry out with age and do tend to fail as a result. They also tend to fail more quickly if they're positioned too close to heatsinks in poorly designed systems.

I wonder if the failure of a capacitor could damage the semiconductor components in one of these power supplies? If that's the case, then re-capping in advance might not be such a bad idea.

Semiconductors are usually quite robust and will generally only tend to blow when they're overdriven.

I haven't seen the inside of a Fuel's power supply, but what I've observed inside other computer, switch-mode type power supplies is that they tend to glue everything together, probably to avoid humming, but this is definitely an obstruction to overcome when it comes to re-capping or troubleshooting one of these things!

I therefore see that the offer of an ATX power supply adapter is probably the best and most cost effective solution for most people.

When I can, I think that I should definitely look at re-capping all of the computers in my collection! However this is probably going to be rather expensive as caps certainly aren't cheap!
Image...........................Image Image ImageImage Image Image Image Image...:arrow:
Image.............................Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image......:arrow:
Image... Image ...:arrow:
Image................Image ......:arrow:
Image.........................Image Image....:arrow:

Return to “SGI: Hardware”