some sun servers on gc surplus

Have some gear for sale? Post it here!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
User avatar
scottpilgrim45
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby scottpilgrim45 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:13 pm

some cheap cool looking sun servers on gc surplus

https://www.gcsurplus.ca/mn-eng.cfm?snc ... =ferm-clos
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:33 pm

Spotted those earlier today, but ugh... Dartmouth! None of the Canadian nekochanners (including myself) are in the Atlantic provinces at all to my knowledge. Going to Toronto this weekend, wish I hadn't missed the Onyx 3200 Gcsurplus had there. No bids, relisted, sold with one bid. Never spotted it. Sigh.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

User avatar
scottpilgrim45
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby scottpilgrim45 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:13 pm

@dodoid Holy crap dude its actually you!, i found your yt channel today during class and its so rad. your channel made me go from collecting pentium 2 and 100mhz machines to collecting unix machines. holy crap this is so awesome!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:52 am

scottpilgrim45 wrote:@dodoid Holy crap dude its actually you!, i found your yt channel today during class and its so rad. your channel made me go from collecting pentium 2 and 100mhz machines to collecting unix machines. holy crap this is so awesome!


Cool! What machines are you looking for right now? On the SGI side, O2s are considered good starter boxes thanks to VGA graphics connectors (as opposed to 13w3 which practically every other UNIX box uses) and being decently small, but careful ordering one online. Post offices tend to smash them to bits because they're fragile and a lot of online sellers don't know how to package them properly. They aren't going to perform like an Octane, but you can find them with decent R10000s for a decent price. Their CRM graphics also does textures without any special hardware, which is nice, but they're not the quickest in terms of geometry. Octanes are certainly more usable if you want to run a lot of modern stuff from Nekoware, but they are heavy bricks and shipping one costs an arm and a leg. Both O2s and Octanes can be had for decent prices, maybe a few hundred for a pretty good one or less if you get a good deal (someone on Nekochan recently bought what appears to be a pretty nice O2 for $99!). As for SUN stuff, I have no idea, but I recently picked up a SUN Blade 2000 and once I get an FC-AL hard drive for it it should be a nice machine. Don't know what they cost though, I got mine through some strange circumstances.

I can help you if you have any questions about UNIX hardware or software. Are you familiar with Linux? If you are, you will certainly have a head start on the command line stuff. Not needed, but if you get an SGI you may want to install Nekoware bash if IRIX's default CSH becomes tiresome).
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

User avatar
itsvince725
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:03 pm
Location: Quakertown, Pennsylvania, USA

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby itsvince725 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:06 am

You could always get an Indy, sure they're 13W3 but they're cheap and there's boatloads of parts. Right now I'm looking at potentially having two of the things...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

User avatar
scottpilgrim45
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby scottpilgrim45 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Dodoid wrote:
scottpilgrim45 wrote:@dodoid Holy crap dude its actually you!, i found your yt channel today during class and its so rad. your channel made me go from collecting pentium 2 and 100mhz machines to collecting unix machines. holy crap this is so awesome!


Cool! What machines are you looking for right now? On the SGI side, O2s are considered good starter boxes thanks to VGA graphics connectors (as opposed to 13w3 which practically every other UNIX box uses) and being decently small, but careful ordering one online. Post offices tend to smash them to bits because they're fragile and a lot of online sellers don't know how to package them properly. They aren't going to perform like an Octane, but you can find them with decent R10000s for a decent price. Their CRM graphics also does textures without any special hardware, which is nice, but they're not the quickest in terms of geometry. Octanes are certainly more usable if you want to run a lot of modern stuff from Nekoware, but they are heavy bricks and shipping one costs an arm and a leg. Both O2s and Octanes can be had for decent prices, maybe a few hundred for a pretty good one or less if you get a good deal (someone on Nekochan recently bought what appears to be a pretty nice O2 for $99!). As for SUN stuff, I have no idea, but I recently picked up a SUN Blade 2000 and once I get an FC-AL hard drive for it it should be a nice machine. Don't know what they cost though, I got mine through some strange circumstances.

I can help you if you have any questions about UNIX hardware or software. Are you familiar with Linux? If you are, you will certainly have a head start on the command line stuff. Not needed, but if you get an SGI you may want to install Nekoware bash if IRIX's default CSH becomes tiresome).


currently im looking for an sgi indy and a fuel ( I know the fuel is a stretch but its really cool) . I saw a guy on youtube selling indy units that came from the acclaim bankruptcy. I would love to buy one of those!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
scottpilgrim45
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm
Location: Oregon, USA

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby scottpilgrim45 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Also yes I am very familiar with linux and mac os
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

User avatar
Dodoid
Posts: 466
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Contact:

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:42 pm

The YouTube guy is right here on Nekochan! SiliconClassics is his username. He's selling them on eBay, check there. Glad you know some UNIX, it will make your life with IRIX a whole lot easier.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

leaknoil
Posts: 426
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:29 pm
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby leaknoil » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:53 pm

That's like 2 V240 and 3 V210. All machines to avoid. They are louder than hell. You seriously don't want to be in the same room with a 240. They are almost always the minimum spec 1ghz models when bought in auctions like this. They just sold way more of them than all the later ones. Like massively more. The writing was already on the wall for Sun by that point. Tons of later SPARC gear on ebay for next to nothing if you can deal with the noise of a server. Go for a T1000 or something. Stuff is basically going for the price of shipping now.

User avatar
japes
Donor
Donor
Posts: 967
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:35 pm
Location: Lynnwood, WA

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby japes » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

Not a lot of super cheap T1000s on ebay right now, but there is a T2000 with an optical drive...add a 2.5 SAS drive and you're good to go...dang I might have to get one - but I'm out of room for servers. I kind of find the V210 is a little meh. I have one and it just sits in the rack, I got it locally and it's pretty minty, room for ram but I think it has the fast cpu and a pair of drives. I am waiting for another wave of cheap Ultra 45s to surface on ebay so I can have the last SPARC workstation, but for me I find the new ones aren't that interesting - I had a dialup shell account on old Solaris or SunOS system and then had a SS5, Ultra1s, Ultra 10, E250, and Ultra60s at work so I have a soft spot for them. I think I might want a E250 or E450 if I could find one in good shape because they are funky looking. I wasted lots of time and a bunch of cash tricking out an E3000, in the end it was just a boring sun box. After it was all upgraded I ended up just taking it to the recycler since no one wanted it.
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

User avatar
johnnym
Donor
Donor
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:53 pm

Re: some sun servers on gc surplus

Unread postby johnnym » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 am

japes wrote:Not a lot of super cheap T1000s on ebay right now, but there is a T2000 with an optical drive...add a 2.5 SAS drive and you're good to go...

Using SATA SSDs could be even more speedy and a good extension for hosting logical domains. Something I still have to try on my T1000.

japes wrote:I wasted lots of time and a bunch of cash tricking out an E3000, in the end it was just a boring sun box. After it was all upgraded I ended up just taking it to the recycler since no one wanted it.

Oh, what a pity. :( I like the Exx00 line of Sun. I started with an E3500 because I wanted a maximum of eight CPUs and liked the modularity. Like for you it took me several years and cash to outfit it with four CPU boards and eight 400 MHz UltraSPARC IIs. After a few years I got an E4500 in addition and could upgrade it to seven CPU boards (with the four out of the E3500, which is now running two CPU boards with 250 MHz US IIs from an E3000) - I now have 14 CPUs in there and about 14 GiB of memory. Draws about a kilowatt when running but is good for heating up the room. ;)
:Indy: :O2: :Octane: :Octane2: :O200: = :O200: - :O200: = :O200: (O200 cluster w/2 GIGAchannel cabinets)
[ ( hp ) ] 712/80 c3000 (dead) :hpserv: (J5600) c3700 c3750 c8000 rp2470 :rx2600: (rx2620) rx4640
| d | i | g | i | t | a | l | AXPpci33 AlphaStation 200 4/166 AlphaStation 255 300 Personal Workstation 500au AlphaServer DS20E
C O B A L T Qube 2 Qube 3 RaQ RaQ 2 RaQ 4r RaQ XTR


Return to “Hardware For Sale/Trade”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest