PowerPC Macs - Are They Still Useful?

Apple hardware/software and related topics.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
commodorejohn

Re: PowerPC Macs - Are They Still Useful?

Unread postby commodorejohn » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:11 am

Raion-Fox wrote:The MDD has DDR RAM, vs the SDR of the Octane,

While I can't comment on the performance comparisons overall, it should be noted that while the MDD has DDR RAM, the G4 doesn't (unless I'm greatly mistaken) actually have a DDR-capable FSB. I think they just did that to get a slight boost from the 133MHz of SDRAM sticks to the 167MHz base speed of DDR memory and/or because everybody was moving to DDR anyway and it was getting cheaper.
Computers: Amiga 1200, DEC VAXStation 4000/60, DEC MicroPDP-11/73
Synthesizers: Roland JX-10/SH-09/HS-80/MT-32/D-50, Yamaha DX7-II/V50/TX7/TG33/FB-01, Korg MS-20 Mini/ARP Odyssey/DW-8000/M1, Ensoniq SQ-80, E-mu Emax HD/Proteus-2, Casio CZ-5000, Moog Satellite, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 am

Raion-Fox wrote:You have quite abstract needs for a computer. Overwatch on my W530 burns through 9GB of RAM. My video rendering can easily take up 12GB.

I'm limited in some ways by using a laptop as a workstation, but other than the fact that the Quadro K1000M is not super good for some modern games, I'm quite happy with it. The docking station is nice, the screen is good etc. .

OW on my laptop with 8GB total RAM (double the minimum spec) runs with no problem so long as I have the gpu plugged in, stays locked at constant 60fps no matter what. But I'm also only running it at 2560x1440 because my screen is 12". I'm sure it's just preloading assets to improve load times.

I have a w520 @work... it's age* is showing but it's still one of the finest laptops I've ever used.

*technology wise... this example was NOS and just unwrapped in January.

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:14 am

guardian452 wrote:on my laptop with 8GB total RAM

On my laptop? 2GB of RAM :D

Which laptop? IBM ThinkPad X61S
Intel Core2 Duo @ 1.6GHz
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:26 am

Very OT here, but - any interest in the X62?

Mine is razer stealth "skylake", and nvidia 1070 in core. Mods: matte screen, bigger disk, intel 8260 wifi.

Runs really good but it randomly freezes up once every couple weeks. Was too annoying to use for work but it's not a big deal for just playing games. I think I may have finally fixed it, it hasn't crashed again since I restored the system last December.

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I've been trying to find a use for my G5. Sure it's 12 years old but it has to be good for something. People were still using 1GHz Pentium IIIs as Linux machines a few years ago...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:38 pm

itsvince725 wrote:I've been trying to find a use for my G5. Sure it's 12 years old but it has to be good for something. People were still using 1GHz Pentium IIIs as Linux machines a few years ago...

Not going to happen unless specific PPC app or nostalgia factor. The power savings alone will pay for a sff pc within a few months and that will be faster and more reliable to boot.

Sorry to be bad news bears but its the truth. :(

I mean sure you can find a good use for it, just not practical.

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:43 pm

You're best off selling the G5.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

ClassicHasClass
Donor
Donor

Unread postby ClassicHasClass » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:22 pm

guardian452 wrote:
itsvince725 wrote:I've been trying to find a use for my G5. Sure it's 12 years old but it has to be good for something. People were still using 1GHz Pentium IIIs as Linux machines a few years ago...

Not going to happen unless specific PPC app or nostalgia factor. The power savings alone will pay for a sff pc within a few months and that will be faster and more reliable to boot.

But isn't that argument true for anything? You could say the same thing about a Tezro.

In my case, I do have old software I prefer running (someone is going to say "run it in QEMU" and I will throatpunch that person -- Classic is much nicer), and I'm more comfortable in Tiger than I am in later versions of OS X. So here I am on this Quad.
smit happens.

:Fuel: bigred, 900MHz R16K, 4GB RAM, V12 DCD, 6.5.30
:Indy: indy, 150MHz R4400SC, 256MB RAM, XL24, 6.5.10
:Indigo2IMP: purplehaze, 175MHz R10000, Solid IMPACT
probably posted from Image bruce, Quad 2.5GHz PowerPC 970MP, 16GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.4.11
plus IBM POWER6 p520 * Apple Network Server 500 * RDI PrecisionBook * BeBox * Solbourne S3000 * Commodore 128 * many more...

guardian452
Donor
Donor

Unread postby guardian452 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:48 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:But isn't that argument true for anything? You could say the same thing about a Tezro.

Yes, and I would say the same about a tez or pretty much any SG machine. He has a machine and nothing to run on it.. except there is nothing particularly rare about a G5 so you don't really have the nerd/wow factor as an excuse to keep it around like SGI machine.

ClassicHasClass wrote:In my case, I do have old software I prefer running (someone is going to say "run it in QEMU" and I will throatpunch that person -- Classic is much nicer), and I'm more comfortable in Tiger than I am in later versions of OS X. So here I am on this Quad.

Then you are not posting in web forums asking "what can I do with this machine". You have a useful application for it, he doesn't. And pretty much any useful application he would have for it he could do better with something else. Because I'm pretty generous I would even include "occasional web browsing with TenFourFox", "playing halo", "footstool/endtable/doorstop/refrigerator", and "hanging logic board on wall as modern art", but he doesn't seem interested in any of that :D

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:08 pm

ClassicHasClass wrote:In my case, I do have old software I prefer running (someone is going to say "run it in QEMU" and I will throatpunch that person -- Classic is much nicer), and I'm more comfortable in Tiger than I am in later versions of OS X. So here I am on this Quad.

SheepShaver? (okay please don't hurt mee!)

Can't say I blame you. The peak of OS X for me is tied between Leopard and Snow Leopard. And I have a low opinion of those as is...

Do you have a page on Floodgap that details all this mysterious OS 9 software that you prefer running?

Not that I'm patronizing you, after all, the fastest MIPS SGIs are slower than your G5 by a fair margin - and I prefer IRIX for the well laid out interface, relatively well designed development environment (besides its inconsistencies with BSDs) and unified architecture, hardware, OS and graphics that form such a nice synergy.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M Windows 8.1 Embedded rin
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

itsvince725

Unread postby itsvince725 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:18 am

guardian452 wrote:

Well I mean, I have a Windows 10 for practical purposes. I just want SOMETHING to use my G5 for since it kinda gathers dust right now. It's a 2.3 dual processor (Early 05) with maxed out (8GB) RAM...
:Indigo2: :Indy:

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:43 am

I think I've raised this point before... I don't take the "power savings" argument very seriously.
Looking at it broadly, there's the power required to mine the materials, melt them, make something meaningful out of them, ship them. After the machine is obsolete, a lot of power is required to disassemble them, recycle them, or carry them to the landfill. A lot of it is not recyclable either.

Yes, an old workstation uses a lot more of electricity, but in many places it is a renewable resource already. The materials inside your computer are not. When I think of the amount of perfectly functional screens that end up in trash because the laptop/phone/tablet is obsolete, I cry for mother Earth.

I don't trash working devices just because their performance-per-watt argument is not the best. And that's why I very rarely buy a new product nowadays - only when I know I'm going to keep them for decades: good headphones, good screens, a good trumpet, etc..

I paid 300 euro for my Quad G5, and I am as productive on it as I would be on a newer computer (I can't code faster, or write faster). A new workstation would be 2000 euro? 3000? I don't even know. I didn't spend that much on electricity operating the G5 in the meantime...

And it's still faster than my employer-provided Lenovo T450s, with all the corporate security crapware that comes with it. I spend far less time waiting for the G5 than I wait for the Lenovo.
ImageImage

Y888099

Unread postby Y888099 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:44 am

Shiunbird wrote:I paid 300 euro for my Quad G5, and I am as productive on it as I would be on a newer computer (I can't code faster, or write faster).

You can't code faster, or write faster, but for things like FEA/FEM and heavy RTL simulations it makes the difference. A lot!
Few minutes (seconds?) instead of days!

Poor me. My customers (who pay me) are terrible ='(
Head Full of Snow. Lemon Scented You

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:03 pm

Y888099 wrote:You can't code faster, or write faster, but for things like FEA/FEM and heavy RTL simulations it makes the difference. A lot!
Few minutes (seconds?) instead of days!

Poor me. My customers (who pay me) are terrible ='(

Naturally, if it makes difference to how efficiently you earn your paycheck, please use whatever architecture makes you have and buy an octo-Xeon if that's the case. =)

I'm a sysadmin and I earn my living from a ThinkPad, and I use whatever my employer pays me to use. All my other activities are hobbies (photos, video, computing in general, music), and the hardware I use serve me well.

And in most cases, people have far overpowered machines for what they really use. Software is bloated, so is the Internet. What pushes personal computers forward nowadays? High definition videos and 3D gaming?

Business computing has been making great use of more powerful machines, such as your case.

But most people do word processing, web browsing, photo sorting and whatever cloud thing they need to access using their computers.
ImageImage

japes
Donor
Donor

Unread postby japes » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:11 pm

Pentium IIIs for Linux? a few years ago was...a few years ago. But back to the G5. Hard sell unless you have a killer PPC app. The G5 would make a nice winter computer to keep your feet behind or for a cat to curl up behind. Or maybe you enjoy running the old OS now and then? Dig up an old version of Xcode and build something interesting?
:O3000: :Fuel: :Tezro: :Tezro: :Octane2: :Octane: :Octane: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :O2: :1600SW: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O3x0: :O3x02L: :O3x02L:

Return to “Apple”