Project Update Thread: Miniature Indigos

Open discussion on or around SGI; software/hardware related posts should go in the appropriate subforum.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
robespierre

Re: Project Update Thread: Miniature Indigos

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 am

sgicollector wrote:Sorry I meant Trademarks / Copyrights dont expire unless blatently unenforced (like My proof reading at this hour) like patents or IP

Yes, they do. Copyright is limited to 120 years (well, for practical purposes that is forever) and nothing requires it to be enforced; registered trademarks expire if not renewed or the respondent doesn't defend them against challenges. The trademark "Indigo" (and Indigo2 etc) expired in 2014.

The cube logo is still valid.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 am

Code: Select all

COMPUTER SYSTEMS COMPRISING SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING: INTEGRATED CIRCUITS, OUPUT DISPLAYS, INPUT UNITS, COMPUTER PROGRAMS, AND INSTRUCTIONAL MANUALS SUPPLIED THEREWITH; PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS; PARTS AND FITTINGS FOR ALL THE FOREGOING

I think I'll be fine if I don't sell the SBCs with them.
:Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

sgicollector

Unread postby sgicollector » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

I was not saying its not cool or anything, not offering a SBC makes it a waste of time for the 'mark holdet' todo anything but ignore it

So Indigio X trademark means nothing as long as its not directly, indirectly or inferred to relate to computers. Its the same with all SGI trademarks *in relation to computers* using such common existing words also greatly raises the burden of proof (civil not criminal, so its not beyound a resonsible doubt, rather prepounderence of evidence aka more the %50 percent the claim is well proved and founded) everybody can get away with sellung High Octane comouters, add the logo or a faxsimile SBC - or SGI and Your legally liable. Today i just finished a $20K claim for infringement or patent and Mark of Trade), as well as injury

All on all the other companies lawyers made well in the six figures, of the $20k half went to discovery and disclosure of expert witness's and My *single lawyer*. I ended up with giving My rights away, an NDA to wipe My bottom with and after all around $10k. Our tort/civil laws are very weak, and very geared towards the one with the most money, that can wait the longest with even weaker punitive provisions

However in the upside i got lots if yummy food, pens, notepads and a $100 Starbucks card

Raion-Fox
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Raion-Fox » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:33 pm

I'd like to eventually CNC an Indy and perhaps eventually an O2 or Octane out of pure aluminium. I know people with CNC but that big a block of aluminium would prove expensive to procure and CNC.
:O3x02L: R16000 700MHz 8GB RAM kanna
:Octane: R12000 300MHz SI 896MB RAM yuuka
:Octane2: R12000A 400MHz V6 2.5GB RAM
:Indy: (Acclaim) R4600 133MHz XL Graphics 32MB RAM
:Indy: (Challenge S) R4600 133MHz (MIPS III Build Server)
:O2: R10000 225MHz 256MB RAM 15k 147GB HDD suzuha
Thinkpad W530 i7 3940XM 3GHz, 32GB, K1000M FreeBSD 11/Windows 7 rin
Acer Aspire 5157 (headless) 4GB, FreeBSD 11 kuran
Thinkpad R40 Pentium M 1.5GHz 2GB RAM kasha

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:39 pm

sgicollector wrote:I was not saying its not cool or anything, not offering a SBC makes it a waste of time for the 'mark holdet' todo anything but ignore it

Do you think it would work to offer cases and ODROID-XU4 as separate items but that can be shipped together? I think some would like to buy only the case and use it for decoration or with an SBC they already have or plan to buy themselves (they would likely save a bit by doing so), while others would want to buy one, so this may be more practical anyway. What would be the legality of offering a product which does not fall into the list above (computer hardware, manuals, etc) as it's just a plastic box as well as another product which, if installed by the user into the other product will produce computer hardware?

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:06 pm

IANAL, but it seems to me that a computer case could be construed as "a fitting", especially if it was sold with the express intent to be used that way.
But anyway HPE staff surely have more important things to do.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:40 am

robespierre wrote:IANAL, but it seems to me that a computer case could be construed as "a fitting", especially if it was sold with the express intent to be used that way.
But anyway HPE staff surely have more important things to do.

That's my thoughts on the matter. Maybe if I sold ten million of them and you could buy them at Walmart then HPE would have something to say, but as for a few sold on Nekochan, I hardly think they're going to care much.

sgicollector

Unread postby sgicollector » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:04 pm

Or really cool - I always had nightmares on stepping on somebodys toes and then being liable for huge armounds

I won't SGI didn't enforce/renew their trademarks???

I would love to have a little cube

and maybe a smaller keychain 'machine'

I heard the courts ruled a bit ago that the 'Happy Birth Day' song copywrite (I think copy write) is unenforceable now. Before You have to pay a bunch of money for it to be sung in a money Yes ??

Dodoid

Something's in the works...

Unread postby Dodoid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:11 am

Screen Shot 2017-03-15 at 12.10.04 PM.png

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm

First Mini Indigo to be sent to a customer is printing right now. Started it maybe 26 hours ago, should finish by this evening. As seen above, online order is ready. BTW, the form now includes shipping. $10 USD to anywhere in the world via Canada Post.

Shiunbird
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Shiunbird » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:52 am

I was planning to get a Raspberry Pi thing to move one of my haproxy boxes from virtual machine to physical (need to reboot the VM host now and then and it's a pain to redirect everything before and after reboot), I think I'll get yours, it looks cute. =)

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:08 am

Well, you'll be able to soon :) .

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:43 am

Mini Indigo is now available! Check the other thread in the Hardware For Sale/Trade section for details.

Return to “SGI: Discussion”