How does one edit video using an Octane with beefy CPUs but bottom of the barrel graphics?

Video, software tools and techniques on SGI systems.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
Dodoid

How does one edit video using an Octane with beefy CPUs but bottom of the barrel graphics?

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:17 pm

My Octane has two 360mhz CPUs, but ESI graphics without TRAM. What's the best video editor (that I can still obtain on an Octane without licenses) today? I'm OK with buying software if I have to, but it has to be available somewhere (not on an install CD in some dudes collection somewhere), and relatively affordable (I would pay $20, but not $200). Of course, preferably it's free :D.

What software fits the bill? If none does, how should I modify my Octane to make it work?
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:
and a small army of Image

foetz

Re: How does one edit video using an Octane with beefy CPUs but bottom of the barrel graphics?

Unread postby foetz » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:54 pm

Dodoid wrote:What software fits the bill? If none does, how should I modify my Octane to make it work?

none and not at all :P
the problem is not your octane but the software. the sgi stuff used to be the highest end at its time so there's nothing else but that.
these days there's no legal way of getting one of the video/film suits for irix. and even if there was, some of them required special hardware which needed an extra license itself and so on ... you get the idea

necron2600

Re: How does one edit video using an Octane with beefy CPUs but bottom of the barrel graphics?

Unread postby necron2600 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:06 am

IRIX's bundled moviemaker works. Will need to convert modern video formats (mp4, etc..) to what it can support though. And large video conversions are slow on an Octane, but another system you may have lying around could convert it more quickly. I found moviemaker's editing quite nice for basic editing tasks.

Many of the early-mid 2000s SONY cameras and digital video recorders write to MPEG that loads perfectly in moviemaker without modification. I picked up an old Sony camera for 30$ last year for its video recording ease of use with moviemaker. Granted, no HD video.

For commercial software:
Adobe Premiere should work on your Octane without VPro. It does not work with a Vpro. Im not sure how well that does modern video formats and HD. But editing HD video should work anywhere, just playback on an Octane will be a problem.

Its a lot easier to find Adobe Premiere for Windows 3.1/95 online.. you can load editing software for win3.1/95 if you have a copy of SoftWindows95.
Or use Basilisk (free) to emulate a Mac 68k and load editing software that way too. I have not tested how well it will handle that yet.

I have been successful loading HD video into Microsoft's Shake for IRIX (with vpro), and can do some editing that way. I had to convert the video to JPG files. So a very large scratch disk is needed to store all that.

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:42 pm

necron2600 wrote:IRIX's bundled moviemaker works. Will need to convert modern video formats (mp4, etc..) to what it can support though. And large video conversions are slow on an Octane, but another system you may have lying around could convert it more quickly. I found moviemaker's editing quite nice for basic editing tasks.

Many of the early-mid 2000s SONY cameras and digital video recorders write to MPEG that loads perfectly in moviemaker without modification. I picked up an old Sony camera for 30$ last year for its video recording ease of use with moviemaker. Granted, no HD video.

For commercial software:
Adobe Premiere should work on your Octane without VPro. It does not work with a Vpro. Im not sure how well that does modern video formats and HD. But editing HD video should work anywhere, just playback on an Octane will be a problem.

Its a lot easier to find Adobe Premiere for Windows 3.1/95 online.. you can load editing software for win3.1/95 if you have a copy of SoftWindows95.
Or use Basilisk (free) to emulate a Mac 68k and load editing software that way too. I have not tested how well it will handle that yet.

I have been successful loading HD video into Microsoft's Shake for IRIX (with vpro), and can do some editing that way. I had to convert the video to JPG files. So a very large scratch disk is needed to store all that.

I got a copy of PiranhaHD, it works well and seems to be quite a good tool but I'm still learning how to use it. If anyone here knows anything about Piranha I would like to ask them a few questions (eg. how do you "razor" a video clip so that it's in two separately usable pieces?).
:Onyx: :O2000: :Fuel: :Octane: :Octane: :Octane: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indy: :Indy:

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:28 pm

necron2600 wrote:Microsoft's Shake for IRIX

shake never belonged to microsoft

Dodoid wrote:I got a copy of PiranhaHD

well then all previous posts are pointless :P

Dodoid

Unread postby Dodoid » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:42 pm

foetz wrote:
necron2600 wrote:Microsoft's Shake for IRIX

shake never belonged to microsoft

Dodoid wrote:I got a copy of PiranhaHD

well then all previous posts are pointless :P

No I didn't have it when I originally posted, got it later. Does anyone on Nekochan know about editing with it?

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:51 pm

"shake never belonged to microsoft"

Apple.. Microsoft.. easy slipup? :)

I have not viewed it yet, but the Piranha Users Manual (3.4.1 version) in tardist package has a working link here from wayback machine (web.archive.org):

https://web.archive.org/web/20020404101 ... nload.html
Last edited by foetz on Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:42 pm

necron2600 wrote:Apple.. Microsoft.. easy slipup? :)

fair enough :P

the Piranha Users Manual (3.4.1 version) in tardist package has a working link here from wayback machine (web.archive.org):

nice find

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:16 pm

I found your answer:

Press 'r'

Took me awhile myself to figure this one out.

The PDF user manual glazes over this subject. Just says 'razor' ability and 'cut' exist in Piranha Edit. Mouse clicks show 'cut' and 'copy', etc.. but no 'razor'. Searching for the term 'razor' in that PDF shows only 1 other entry on page 38.. the 'hot keys". And there are a bunch of hotkeys for the Edit section. Razor is just typing 'r'.

So now you can splice/razor in PiranhaHD on IRIX.

Return to “SGI: Video”