[Review] ELECTROGIG 3DGO

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
NeoGenesis

Re: [Review] ELECTROGIG 3DGO

Unread postby NeoGenesis » Thu May 05, 2016 10:46 pm

Hi guys.
I have kept my original sets of manuals and CD's and install notes. I no longer have a unix computer. So if anyone here is interested in getting all the docs, special tutorials and how-to's on the software I have them. I have 2 sets of manuals. But if anyone is interested let me know. I am about to move in 10 days, and was thinking of finding someone who'd be interested in these. Please contact me ASAP. and let me know.

I'd like to get something for what I have I have pics I dug up of some old renders I did, check them out! I really loved the quality of this software, it's really sad the code didn't get implemented into another program. It was so unique in how it worked and though there was a learning curve once you got the hang of it it was pretty easy to do fantastic renders that no other software really could get the same look as at that time. The boolean modelling was just so smooth and sharp at the same time. Hard to describe but it was a unique package against the competitors at the time, less money better renders, but not as well integrated into the market as Wavefront, ALias and Softimage. I was one of the first licenses of Houdini in Florida at that time it was called Prisms. That was really fun to animate with, but again had a steep learning curve.

I loved how you could freeze a particle simulation and apply fluid dynamics and make things move around like rubbery blobs, making tentacle creatures and spikey wierd objects was really easy. The lighting and refractions and reflections were right out of the box stunning. The default materials made glass and metal look real. Well real for that time anyway.

It had a setting that would allow you to blend materials together! The first and only of it's kind at the time. See my pic below. Wood, blending to water, blending to metal, blending to glass. It took a while to render that image, but it was something computer graphics just hadn't been able to do at that time besides Gig.

Well this was a fun trip down memory lane. If anyone wants to make an offer on my manuals and software and pay for me to ship them to you, they are yours! You'll see pics I just took of the two sets of manual. I have 3 install disks! Yes they sent me 2 sets and an upgrade disk I have the paperwork with the licenses and keys. Don't know anything about making them work, but I'm sure one of you guys could figure it out. I also have a VHS tape that we recorded a 5 hour training session on the use of the software and some tips and tricks on modelling and animating. Could be cool to learn from. Cheers! Convict Cowboy was recorded over, sorry.... LOL!

Be well, my fellow pixel pushers!
Steven S.
Attachments
- Manuals (14).JPG
- Manuals (13).JPG
- Manuals (10).JPG
- Manuals (9).JPG
- Manuals (8).JPG
- Manuals (7).JPG
- Manuals (6).JPG
- Manuals (5).JPG
- Manuals (4).JPG
- Manuals (3).JPG
- Manuals (2).JPG
- Manuals (1).JPG
wierdtube2.jpg
render3.jpg
blends.jpg
bars3.jpg
artlite3.jpg
artlite2.jpg
artfinal2.jpg
artfinal.jpg
anemone2.jpg
anemone.jpg
3d-tubes2.jpg
3d-tubes.jpg
spikey.tif
spikey.tif (345.61 KiB) Viewed 1068 times
rings2 copy.jpg
lightbody copy.jpg
Last edited by foetz on Fri May 06, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no commercial software selling. check the rules

Ben_Liebrand

Unread postby Ben_Liebrand » Fri May 06, 2016 12:11 am

In do have contact with one if the original founders of ElectroGiG.

By the way, the "birdplane" depicted on so many places on and in the manuals was made by me.
http://www.liebrand.nl/li/gallery/birdplane.html

:) Ben
Ben@liebrand.com
Last edited by foetz on Fri May 06, 2016 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: license related part removed

NeoGenesis

Unread postby NeoGenesis » Fri May 06, 2016 10:33 am

Ben,
Yes I remember you... We had many conversations and I still have some faxes you sent me with your name signed to them. I think you are the only person using Gig in the world? I saw your time lapse video. It was cool to see gig in action again. Is there a Mac version available? It looked like you are working on a Mac. If there is a way I could use the software on a mac, I would love to get back into it again and do some playing and experimenting. I'm sure it's a lot faster on a Mac. Anyway any ideas or input on using my software again, or if anyone could use the extra set of manuals I have I'd love to help them out!

Be well!
If you'd like to contactme my personal e-mail is steven (at) neo-genesis.net

Ben_Liebrand

Unread postby Ben_Liebrand » Fri May 06, 2016 11:58 am

It runs under Linux on a Mac with Intel processors.
Any mac with Intel processors should work, just like any PC.
To give an impression of speed.
Checked against an 8 processor Origin 2000 in2009, an Apple 2009 Macbook Pro ran 1.4 times faster on a single processor than the 8 combined in the Origin 2000.
My old Linux Mac Pro has 4 cores and replaces some 6 or 7 Origin 2000s in render speed.

On the very sad downside, I received word from the wife of Raymond where she told me Raymond suffered a brain seizure last September and is still in the process of recovering from it.

Please respect their circumstances and avoid any well meant but unguided support to become an extra burden.

:( Ben

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 06, 2016 5:05 pm

NeoGenesis wrote:I was one of the first licenses of Houdini in Florida at that time it was called Prisms.

it wasn't called houdini because it wasn't houdini :P

i also had to edit your post. seems you missed the big orange banner that says: "Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal."

NeoGenesis

Unread postby NeoGenesis » Fri May 06, 2016 5:23 pm

Oh, I see thanks for that. I didn't know. I mentioned in my post that it was called Prisms at the time. But most people don't know that name. So do you know of any other users of GIG? and what ever happened to it's programmers? Did the software ever get it's DNA infused into other applications, or is it still it's own unique creature?

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Fri May 06, 2016 6:48 pm

Ben_Liebrand wrote:an Apple 2009 Macbook Pro ran 1.4 times faster on a single processor than the 8 combined in the Origin 2000.

do you remember what cpus each one had? and how many cores the macbook had?
and was the used GIG version on irix and linux the same?

NeoGenesis wrote:Oh, I see thanks for that. I didn't know. I mentioned in my post that it was called Prisms at the time. But most people don't know that name.

most of our members do because: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=16729450

So do you know of any other users of GIG? and what ever happened to it's programmers? Did the software ever get it's DNA infused into other applications, or is it still it's own unique creature?

except for you and ben i don't know anyone else. and afaik it was neither bought nor used (in parts) by another company so i guess it's indeed a unique creature :D

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:48 am

Looks like a great program and as others have stated the interface looks simple and uncluttered.

Fantastic work Ben.

For some reason I really like this image.....
69_charger.jpg
69_charger.jpg (106.98 KiB) Viewed 815 times

hopper_68.jpg
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

Geoman
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Geoman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:09 am

What a beautiful thread. More like an SGI online computer magazine than a thread. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to Nekochan once a day.
:Indy: :O2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :Octane2:
SGI - the legend will never die!!

gocram

Unread postby gocram » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:02 am

Let me first say that this is an amazing thread! I still have an original CD release of ElectroGIG 3DGO somewhere.

Geoman, I agree and it's the same for me. Collecting hardware, in and by itself, was never it for me. (Especially as a graphic designer.) Rather, or above all, the fascination with what SGI brought about and the amount of finesse is what has truly left a lasting impression on me.
:O2: 400/R12ᴋ, 1GB RAM, digvid (AV2), UW-SCSI, 640GB (int.) & 4×300GB HDDs (ext.)
:Indigo2IMP: 195/R10ᴋ, 1GB RAM, High IMPACT+TRAM, IMPACT Video, 2×300GB HDDs
LOOKING FOR:
SGI INDIGO² HIGH IMPACT-AA or MAXIMUM IMPACT graphics board set
(the latter preferably with at least one 4-Mbyte TRAM)

foetz

Unread postby foetz » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:08 am

gocram wrote:Collecting hardware, in and by itself, was never it for me. (Especially as a graphic designer.) Rather, or above all, the fascination with what SGI brought about and the amount of finesse is what has truly left a lasting impression on me.

that's a great quote. i could sign that on any day :-)

Mad-Axeman

Unread postby Mad-Axeman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:19 am

As a very rare visitor of this forum, I just stumbled onto this thread. I do have some history with Electrogig (and with Ben as well :) ). From 1990 - 1995 I've been freelance programmer for Electrogig, writing some data converters and many other tools. I did the original work on the IGES converter for Gig, and I wrote translators for several CAD programs. From 1996-1997 I've been support engineeer for Electrogig, offering global support from our Amsterdam (later Eindhoven) office.

I'm sorry to say that GIG is gone. When I joined the company in 1996 it was already taken over by a Belgium firm, and in 1997 the plug was pretty much pulled. GIG was originally available on HP, SUN and SGI workstations (in 1990 there was also a release for DECstation/Ultrix). The latest release was version 3.2, and this version was also available for Linux. Thanks to portable code, the Linux version was pretty much the same as the different Unix versions of that moment (in fact, there was 1 cd hosting HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris and Linux installations).

After the ceisure of Electrogig-owned-by-Verdima, I know that some guys managed to release another update for Linux. This version 3.3-2 appeared in the wild on internet in rpm-format (so Linux only). At home I still have GIG up & running both on IRIX and on Linux (hell yes: I can still run this software from 1997 on my most modern Fedora 25! :-)) I always planned to dedicate part of my home website to GIG, so you can look around at http://www.broncosoft.com/

If you need any advise regarding GIG, feel free to contact me - although I must admit that Ben is far more familiar with using the software than I am...
:P Alex

mapesdhs

Unread postby mapesdhs » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:17 am

This has been a very interesting historical thread, especially the way some involved in the creation of the apps have chipped in. Thanks to all who've posted! 8)
I'm working on a charitable PC build for the Learn Engineering YouTube channel. Please PM/email/call if you'd like to contribute!
Donations of any kind of item I can sell to provide funds are also most welcome.
mapesdhs@yahoo.com
+44 (0)7434 635 121

spiroyster
Donor
Donor

Unread postby spiroyster » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:32 pm

Welcome Alex!

As a lover of all things casted along along ray paths, especially before the GI boom... I absolutely love the style and character these renders give. It takes me straight back to the early 90's raytracers (which got me interested in computer graphics), a niche area of research that once attempted to approach realism has now entered its own subdomain complete with own artistic styling. I used to love writing 'Ward-style' raytracers experimenting with different optimisations and material models. Make slight code change, run program, wait till next day to see if it worked, see what glitched monstrosity of noise I had created....If brave go to 800x600 resolution... up the samples :shock:

A question if I may :? ... Does anyone know any nitty gritty details of the render engine/ray tracing techniques employed by 3DGO. Motion blur is mentioned, did this include DOF. Shadows look to be using old style Penumbra soft shadows, rather than radiosity? I would also be interested to know what material model was used? What were the options available to the user for applying materials?

What other geometry modelling tools were available. CSG modelling (boolean) mentioned, IGES is supported so I assume NURBS and Coons support? What other surface representations could be handled, discrete meshes (triangulated/polygon surfaces)?

There really is something attractive about those rainbow buttons. They almost feel free form. It would be nice to see some videos of the modelling and material workflows if anyone has some o.0 [EDIT: Just found Ben's vid :)], tools used etc.

Interesting stuff. I love it!

@foetz
Another lovely archaeological review ++rep. Always enjoy reading (even if they are 20+ years out of date :roll: ... no wait... especially because they are 20 years out of date).
Last edited by spiroyster on Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:45 pm

mopar5150 wrote:hopper_68.jpg

No offence at all to the guy in the pic, but he's the spitting image of a developer I worked with whom we called 'TUR'..

He was a nice guy, bit strange or rather not in the realms of programmers (had no TV etc), but his speech hesitation point was 'TUUUR'.

So when you ask a lot of people a question and they pause slightly to think, they normal insert a 'errr' in there somewhere, but Tuur had a definite 'T'..

And I cannot recall his name..
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”