Mini-PC fit in an SGI hard drive bay?

SGI hardware problems, solutions, tips, hacks, etc.
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
necron2600

Mini-PC fit in an SGI hard drive bay?

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:34 am

Some of my old SUN systems have SUNpc/SUNpci cards.. that provide a real x86 system running in a PCI slot (usually Windows95, etc..) that you can acess from the Solaris/SPARC desktop. "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SunPCi"

Call me crazy, I thought it would be neat to have something similar for an SGI.. most likely a mini-PC inside a full height scsi disk for an Octane, or replacing the CDROM drive in an O2 or Tezro.. and then just remote desktop/RDP or VNC into it. Maybe have video/key/mouse out in the front.. so open your Octane front case or eject the CDROM door in an O2 and then you can program/install an OS on it, etc..

Then you can run MS Office, Chrome, etc.. from within the confines of your SGI system.

Yeah, you could just RDP or VNC into another PC or server elsehwere around the house or office.. but to have something that is part of the SGI (like SUN's SUNpci cards) would be neat.

Does anyone know of a small PC that would fit in a hard drive shell? getting power from a hard drive SCA port or a molex power plug? A real x86 system, not ARM or other embedded types.

-Kevin

necron2600

Re: Mini-PC fit in an SGI hard drive bay?

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Here we go:
Intel Compute Stick PC. WIndows 8.1 or Linux. x86 chip.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2906353/ ... linux.html

Now.. how do we power a Micro USBjack with SGI innards? (Molex to Micro USB? SCA power adapter to Micro USB?.. ). Its a Wifi connection too.. not a problem if your home/work was the SGI on same network as a Wifi connection I guess.

Will a Tezro's USB port power this?

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Doing some research:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mol ... gQod7vMBjw

Im in no way an electrical engineer.. not sure if this would work or not with an SGI molex cable powering an Intel Compute Stick PC?

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:02 pm

If you're at all handy with solder and wire you should be able to tap off the voltage you need from the power supply...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:07 pm

vishnu wrote:If you're at all handy with solder and wire you should be able to tap off the voltage you need from the power supply...

How much will an sca connector deliver ?

I thought there were some peecee-onna-pci card thingies -- put one in a shoebox, add a little two-port switch, and bob's yer uncle ? That would make the ethernet connector more accessible, too.

You could even do that to an O2 ...
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:20 pm

When my Sunblade2000 was in action, I had a SunPCi[3 or 4] and I had it driving it's own monitor & keyboard/mouse and it was very cool. So if I was to do this, I'd make sure I had an empty slot in the octane and have external VGA KB/Mouse/USB, in fact, if you didn't have a PC cage you could use the blanking plate.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!
:Octane2: :O2: :Indigo: :Indy:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:43 pm

uunix wrote:I had a SunPCi[3 or 4] and I had it driving it's own monitor & keyboard/mouse and it was very cool. So if I was to do this, I'd make sure I had an empty slot in the octane and have external VGA KB/Mouse/USB,...

Have you tried rdesktop, u-u ? It works pretty good. That's how I do innernuts these days. Having it all in one box might be fun.

The only hangup comes when you swipe something off a web page and try to drop it via the mouse onto your Irix desktop. Oops :mrgreen:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:07 am

I have tried it chap, in fact it was you who pointed it in out to me.
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:45 am

uunix wrote:I have tried it chap, in fact it was you who pointed it in out to me.

Guess I better start hitting the fish oil :?

I see Intel has a new thingy they call Edward (named after Eddie Munster ?) - a (400 mhz) peecee on an SD card. So you could build an entire Loonix cluster of those and stick it into the drive slot of an octane :D

GL1zdA
Donor
Donor

Unread postby GL1zdA » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:35 am

hamei wrote:
uunix wrote:I have tried it chap, in fact it was you who pointed it in out to me.

Guess I better start hitting the fish oil :?

I see Intel has a new thingy they call Edward (named after Eddie Munster ?) - a (400 mhz) peecee on an SD card. So you could build an entire Loonix cluster of those and stick it into the drive slot of an octane :D

It's called Edison not Edward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Edison
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Fuel: :540:

uunix
Donor
Donor

Unread postby uunix » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:59 am

Anyone use ThinStuff and connect via RDESKTOP? (Off topic again... )
Hey Ho! Pip & Dandy!

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:30 pm

Never used ThinStuff, but I will tell you that an XRDP server running on Linux performs excellent with rdesktop.. more so than VNC or even RDP/rdesktop to a windows node.

ThinStuff's TSX RemoteApp product looks cool to launch just the app and not the entire desktop. Linux-based rdesktop can do 'seamless' apps too if a seamless-rdp DLL is installed on the remote windows node. I never have tried to see if our Nekoware version would work this way too. Something to play with for another weekend ;) Having just the remote apps popping up on our IRIX desktops would feel more integrated than a full windows desktop window (and use less bandwidth). Currently I use SSH X11 forwarding for running Linux apps, and windows apps run via Wine on Linux, so they too go through X11 and look more native on the desktop.

I ordered one of those Intel Compute Sticks from NewEgg.. and a Molex to USB (female) from ebay. When it comes in, ill stuff it all in an O2 .. maybe replacing the cdrom with it since I can get a molex connection from that area easily.

-Kevin

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:30 pm

necron2600 wrote: ThinStuff's TSX RemoteApp product looks cool to launch just the app and not the entire desktop. Linux-based rdesktop can do 'seamless' apps too if a seamless-rdp DLL is installed on the remote windows node.

Can you go into this "seamless-rdp DLL" a little more ? That's how I get my interweb now, rdp Light onto 4Dwm, but getting just the application would be nice.

Not that happy with Light, either, but what can you do ?

GL1zdA wrote:It's called Edison not Edward: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Edison

Wasn't he the guy who insisted 500 vdc was the way to go for long-distance power transmission ? :lol:

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:49 am

From nekoware's rdesktop man page:
-A Enable SeamlessRDP. In this mode, rdesktop creates a X11 window
for each window on the server side. This mode requires the Seam-
lessRDP server side component, which is available from
http://www.cendio.com/seamlessrdp/. When using this option, you
should specify a startup shell which launches the desired appli-
cation through SeamlessRDP.

Example: rdesktop -A -s 'seamlessrdpshell notepad'.

However, https://www.cendio.com/seamlessrdp says it needs rdesktop 1.8.0 or later where nekoware is 1.7 (at least my copy). Not sure what the implication of that is since rdesktop does have the seamlessrdp code in it.

"SeamlessRDP works best with modern window managers" .. IRIX 4Dwm is modern right?

Now that you got me looking into this... ill have to spend time on it now to see if this works or not with an SGI ;) Thanks hamei

necron2600

Unread postby necron2600 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:36 am

Works!
I attached the seamlessrdp zip .. as it is not found on its website as easily anymore. I found it from some random place online and I did not check for viruses or trojans,etc.. so beware ;)

I extracted seamlessrdp.zip into C:\seamlessrdp\

Then ran this:
rdesktop -A -s 'c:\seamlessrdp\seamlessrdpshell C:\Pro
gram Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe' <ip or hostname here>

I logged in, (may be able to autologin?), and got a seamless window. Like how you would see an X11 display from a remote node but its a windows system. (which you could do the same running your windows apps under wine on Linux and remotely displaying via X11...) Except, RDP tends to be much faster than X11.

Notes:
I used a Windows Server 2003 Terminal Server. Not sure how this behavies with Win7, WIn8, etc.. I hope this works with the Intel Compute Stick I ordered that comes with Windows8.. stick it inside the SGI running on its power... then I can get a 'SUNpci' for SGI.

Its possible Fast User Switching needs to be turned on in order for seamlessrdp to work. I did not confirm this.

A more advanced rdesktop usage:
rdesktop -r clipboard:PRIMARYCLIPBOARD -r disk:'Home'=
$HOME -r sound:local -a 16 -z -A -s 'c:\seamlessrdp\seamlessrdpshell C:\Program
Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe' <serverorIPhere>

-Kevin
Attachments
seamlessrdp.zip
(38.64 KiB) Downloaded 20 times

Return to “SGI: Hardware”