wtb : io9, interface for o350 wts/wtt, misc parts

Searching for hard-to-find gear? A post in here might just shake something loose!
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
hamei

wtb : io9, interface for o350 wts/wtt, misc parts

Unread postby hamei » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Due to a successful upgrade to Octane last night, the garbage O350 is going into the corner under a blanket, where its Down's Syndrome lcd can stare mindlessly into space without bothering me.

If I were a totally ethical person I'd smash this low-performance, poorly-designed, cheaply made 2U assembly of pig shit into an unrecognizable amorphous mass with a five pound sledge hammer so that it couldn't ruin anyone else's life. But I'm too stubborn to let fifty cents' worth of crap beat me in a game of wits. I want to make it run before I carry it out to the dumpster in front of the building. Therefore:

Need an IO9 that doesn't eat disks and an interface board with a functioning L1. Doesn't seem like a lot to ask, eh ? A scsi card that doesn't destroy file systems and a BIOS chip that wakes up when you plug it in ? Yeah, well, remember : this is SGI, the trusted leader in high-performance computing.

Willing to waste $200 on this shit, just to be able to say I defeated the monster.

While I'm here, have excess to ongoing operations :

O2 : r5-350, full mem, cd-rom actually opens the door (ain't technolog awesome, d00d ?!), skins good, Noctua-quieted power supply. No disk but has sleds. Audio-video board that was working last time the machine was willing to start. Sometimes comes up to an orange light, sometimes red, came up green once but the camera battery was flat so I failed to capture the moment on film. But honest, I saw it. Really ! It ran fine for two years then one day just decided to take a rest.

Fuel : one mainboard and one 800 mhz cpu. One of them is probably bad but no telling which one. Was working nicely when I turned it off one afternoon then it never woke up again. The L1 messages on the console were not helpful in any way. One power supply that works. It's not the high-spec power supply that fails without warning, it's the less-desirable one that fails without warning. The piece of shit chip SGI inserted into a perfectly good, reliable supply to make it croak has not yet done its job. But have faith, one day you will go to turn on your Fuel and it will make that nice clicking sound that tells you Yet Another High-Tech SGI Engineering Success !

Seagate DAT tape drive in an Octane sled. I can test it later. Should have audio firmware. Have two, only need one.

Shoebox and shoehorn. Can't think of any pci cards I want to run so these can go.

Two or maybe three jen-yoo-wine SGI gigabit ethernet cards. SGI didn't actually make them tho, so they work.

Internal junk from a dead fuel. Not worth anything but if you need the blue wind tunnel or something else, might have it.

An Adaptec Duoconnect, works in Fuel but not Tezro, O350, O300. Nice to save a slot but USB is pretty useless on Fuel so probaly not desirable.

Wacom Volito usb tablet - shows up in Fuel but the scaling is way off. Maybe someone smart can make it work. Assistant doesn't like it either, but should work in any remotely-complete operating system. Free.

I hate people who say, "Make me an offer" (and then don't reply) but have no idea what this crap is worth. Definitely open to trades but a 2x600 or V12 for Octane is desirable so I'm mostly kidding myself if I expect that. If there's something you want, send a pm and we can play let's make a deal. If you throw in Vanna's daughter (grand-daughter ?) I'll pay shipping :P
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Re: wtb : io9, interface for o350 wts/wtt, misc parts

Unread postby Krokodil » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Welcome back to the land of the Octanes.
:Octane2: - :O2: - :Octane: - :Indigo2IMP:
Alphaserver DS10 - 466MHZ
Sun Ultra 5 - 440MHZ.

mopar5150

Unread postby mopar5150 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:49 pm

Hamei,
I could use the power supply.

I will get off of my a$$ and ship you an interface board and IO9 by the weekend.
If the thing isn't on fire it's a software problem.

:Tezro: :O3x0: :A350:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:00 pm

mopar5150 wrote: I could use the power supply.

Cool, more space in the closet :D I'll pm you ...
damn, bitch, you stupid fly ! let me pull up to your bumper and smack that monkey !

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Krokodil wrote:Welcome back to the land of the Octanes.

Thanks, Krok ... you know what ? It feels good. This is two days now that I've pushed the start button and it's come up without a hitch. Really nice. Maybe my ulcers can start to heal.

Yes, it is possible to use an SGI computer as a daily driver. But if it's anything newer than an Octane, better have a complete inventory of spares. Fuel history of death : two mainboards, three power supplies, one V12. O350 - interface board, node board, and IO9 all kaput. Octane - never even hiccupped. Indy, same. Indigo and Indigo2, same. Some software problems but never this total hardware unreliability.

Here's a hint about what killed SGI, and it wasn't the Inventor's Dilemna.

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:39 pm

I just keep my Octane on, even though it's probably a power hog. I've had much better luck over the years by leaving my machines on rather then turning them on and off all the time. The Octane hasn't caused me much trouble, nor has the O2.

I refuse to deal with anything beyond the Octane, I see it like this.

Anything older than O2 - probably too slow to be of much use. Though I do like the design of the Indigo,Indigo2 and Indy.
Tezro - rare and expensive, parts also rare and expensive.
Fuel - Questionable quality, not built to last, has power supply timebomb.
Visual Workstation - Not MIPS, no IRIX. Yuck.
Onyx/2 Workstation - Takes up too much space, consumes alot of power, possibly high maintenance and overkill for day to day use.
Any SGI server or supercomputer system - way beyond what I'm willing to put up with.
Sun Ultra 5 - 440MHZ.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:47 am

hamei wrote:
mopar5150 wrote: I could use the power supply.

Cool, more space in the closet :D I'll pm you ...

I love happy endings :)
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Kumba

Unread postby Kumba » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:42 pm

Krokodil wrote:I just keep my Octane on, even though it's probably a power hog. I've had much better luck over the years by leaving my machines on rather then turning them on and off all the time. The Octane hasn't caused me much trouble, nor has the O2.

I refuse to deal with anything beyond the Octane, I see it like this.

Anything older than O2 - probably too slow to be of much use. Though I do like the design of the Indigo,Indigo2 and Indy.
Tezro - rare and expensive, parts also rare and expensive.
Fuel - Questionable quality, not built to last, has power supply timebomb.
Visual Workstation - Not MIPS, no IRIX. Yuck.
Onyx/2 Workstation - Takes up too much space, consumes alot of power, possibly high maintenance and overkill for day to day use.
Any SGI server or supercomputer system - way beyond what I'm willing to put up with.

Octane should draw about 300W minimum, one Impact board, no disk drives, running idle. After some disks and basic usage, ~330W. Onyx2 seems to hover around 700W-768W idle. Running Linux on both, so I haven't spun up the graphics hardware to see what their power draw is like. This is on standard US 110V/120V, 15A circuits, 14g wiring.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

Krokodil
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Krokodil » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:00 pm

Don't get me wrong I like all the MIPS stuff and the unique designs the machines have, it's just I can't justify owning most of them, hah.
Sun Ultra 5 - 440MHZ.

jan-jaap
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jan-jaap » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:32 am

Kumba wrote:Onyx2 seems to hover around 700W-768W idle. Running Linux on both, so I haven't spun up the graphics hardware to see what their power draw is like.

A tricked out Onyx2 deskside (two node boards, full memory, dual RMs and a couple of XIO options) takes ~ 1kW at 230VAC with active graphics. That's excluding monitors, fibre disk arrays and DMedia VBOB.

It's a pretty space heater.
:PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2+: Image :Fuel: :Tezro: :4D70G: :Skywriter: :PWRSeries: :Crimson: :ChallengeL: :Onyx: :O200: :Onyx2: :O3x02L:
To accentuate the special identity of the IRIS 4D/70, Silicon Graphics' designers selected a new color palette. The machine's coating blends dark grey, raspberry and beige colors into a pleasing harmony. (IRIS 4D/70 Superworkstation Technical Report)

Kumba

Unread postby Kumba » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:49 am

jan-jaap wrote:A tricked out Onyx2 deskside (two node boards, full memory, dual RMs and a couple of XIO options) takes ~ 1kW at 230VAC with active graphics. That's excluding monitors, fibre disk arrays and DMedia VBOB.

It's a pretty space heater.
Indeed. I've got two node boards (4x R14K), 8GB mem, no directory mem, PCI card cage, one shoehorn, an Onyx2 HD video board I got for cheap, modded Impact board, and a basic InfiniteReality setup. Three of five disks plugged in, 1.5" height at 50GB each. Going to eventually swap those out for the small 2.5" SCA drives you can get off of eBay for real cheap. Runs Linux at times, though heavy disk I/O hardlocks it somewhere. Most of the time, it sits in the living room and pretends it's a weird-looking piece of furniture. So, all of that for ~768W is pretty good. Considering my vacuum cleaner consumes ~11A, I've got room to spare if I ever load the IRIX disk up and bring up the graphics.
:Onyx2: 4x R14000 :Tezro: 4x R16000 :Fuel: 1x R16000 :Octane: 2x R14000 :O2+: RM7000 :O2: R10000 :O2: RM5200 :Indigo: R4400 :Indigo2IMP: R10000 :Indigo2: R8000 :O3x0: 4x R14000 :Indy: R5000

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

Trippynet
Donor
Donor

Unread postby Trippynet » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 am

According to Ian's site, an Octane can pull as little as 107 watts if run in headless mode. With SE and a couple of hard drives (R12K 400), it pulls 150w - which is pretty good! Fully kit one out with dual CPUs, V12 and 3 hard drives and it'll hit 319 watts under load. This is less than a fully kitted out Indigo2 incidentally...
Systems in use:
:Indigo2IMP: - Nitrogen: R10000 195MHz CPU, 384MB RAM, SolidIMPACT Graphics, 36GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 100Mb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.22
:Fuel: - Lithium: R14000 600MHz CPU, 4GB RAM, V10 Graphics, 72GB 15k HDD & 300GB 10k HDD, 1Gb/s NIC, New/quiet fans, IRIX 6.5.30
Other system in storage: :O2: R5000 200MHz, 224MB RAM, 72GB 15k HDD, PSU fan mod, IRIX 6.5.30

Return to “Hardware Wanted”