Liquid Immersion Cooling

For friendly off topic discussion not covered in a forum above.
Forum rules
No politics, please.
robespierre

Re: Liquid Immersion Cooling

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Did you get anywhere with this?
I was thinking about some of the new manycore processors and how they really could use a denser cooling solution. for fpgas, too.
I stumbled on this presentation that gives a lot of useful details including a blueprint for a whole tank system (near the end):
http://youtu.be/ivVoANqFBuY
One detail I hadn't seen before is that they use a special heat transfer material on the outside of the metal chip case, made of sintered copper. since it's sintered, it has a much larger surface area and lower thermal resistance, similar to the reason ultracaps have high capacitance. what I don't know is if they apply it chemically, as a paste or what.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

hazelden

Unread postby hazelden » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi. I've done a few small tests with fluorocarbons but haven't gotten to the point of doing open bath immersion due to the cost of the fluid.

The surface enhancement coating is called a BEC "boiling enhancement coating" that is applied using a spraying process. Phil Tuma from 3M has prepared a few youtube videos that show how it is applied to a CPU's heatsink.

After a heatsink has the BEC compound applied it is bonded to the CPU using a Multicore Solder Vaporette Heater. A Vaporette heater is an SMD soldering device that works by immersing CPUs and heatsinks in a hot vapour of Flourinert FC-40 which offers a precision temperature controlled CPU soldering environment.

Spray Coating of Pin Fin Boilers for Sandybridge CPUs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMl3cnbsbUg

CPU Soldering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUVtvfsaZbY
Andrew Hazelden, VFX Artist
Personal Blog: www.AndrewHazelden.com

:O2: SGI O2, 195 MHz R10K, 320 MB ram, AV1 Video i/o card, 36GB HD

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:45 pm

i watched more of his slide presentations...
it's hugely interesting, but there are a lot of problems with routing cables and plastic components leaching into the dielectric fluid. PVC insulation seems to be a particular problem, so you really want to custom engineer the entire device using materials that aren't attacked by the fluid. Teflon insulated wires instead of PVC, and so forth (you may have noticed that the cables in his test computer are not standard ethernet Cat5). At least the epoxy chip underfill is compatible.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:49 pm

robespierre wrote:i watched more of his slide presentations....

Aren't the radar systems in military aircraft liquid-cooled ? Seems like there would be a lot of high-dollar experience there to be utilized.
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:27 pm

Yes, many are. There are also a huge number of power converters for trains that use it, but they tend to be hermetically sealed.
That solves a lot of problems, but at a high cost, since multi-pin hermetic connectors can cost several hundred dollars... per connector.

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:13 am

robespierre wrote:That solves a lot of problems, but at a high cost, since multi-pin hermetic connectors can cost several hundred dollars... per connector.

Well, as John Arbuckle would say .... :P
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:03 am

Looks like the fluid loss problem is pretty serious (there are also a lot of material compatibility problems).

Return to “Everything Else”