Blender inspirations

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
crrn

Blender inspirations

Unread postby crrn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:56 am

I follow Blender development for quite long time now. Remeber the time when it was commercial (I bought the licence back then in 1997). Now when I have access to SGI and can see for example Softimage or Houdini I think that Blenders features are based on these gfx packages. Ofcourse GUI is different story here but all the featreus like texturing, modeling, lattices, nurbs, etc are highly inspired by professional packages like the one I mentioned.
What you think about Blender? and the direction it developed now?
Any other thoughts on open-source software for CG ?
8bit guy with: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane:

theinonen

Re: Blender inspirations

Unread postby theinonen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

Was it a commercial product at some point? I thought it has always been free and was developed as an open source product from the beginning.

I tried blender few times many years ago but the user interface that looks like some Amiga software from the year 1990 put me off. Everything is too small and it makes it look overly complicated and hard to use.

Seems very capable in right hands though, with the patience and time to learn.

robespierre

Unread postby robespierre » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Blender was developed as a commercial package and the user community raised a considerable sum to fund the open source release.
:PI: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2IMP:

jimmer
Donor
Donor

Unread postby jimmer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 pm

As far as I know (and remember) original Blender was developed in IRIS GL as an internal package for NeoGeo, a Dutch animation company.

At some point it was rebuilt in OpenGL and when NeoGeo stopped trading, the creator of the software, Ton Rosendaal, took it with him and started a commercial venture called NaN based round the code. At some point due to the unfavourable economic climate the NaN backers pulled out and Ton managed to liberate the code from their investor fingers by selling it to the public - the famous code buy-out.

With the code open sourced lots of new Monkeys wrote code for it and it's the way of the world that old-platforms get left in the dust. Basically because the Monkeys don't have access to the old hardware. In this case with good reason - the SGI hardware of that era was dog slow and overpriced and if people wanted to deal with an arrogant know-it-all company they could get their kicks cheaper from Nvidia. Oh wait... at that time Nvidia _was_ the SGI Gfx R&D people.

Btw. If you go to the blender download archive, you'll see that they have a blender 1.0 release... it's IRIX only :) Redbox is not hooked up to a monitor at the moment and I'm too lazy to bend down and fiddle with it, else I'd post some screenshots.
:Fuel: redbox 800Mhz 4Gb V12
:O2: bluebox 200Mhz 256Mb AV1+O2Cam

crrn

Unread postby crrn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:05 pm

All what jimmer said is correct.
I remember the first version I started to use under linux was 1.7x and 1.8 was the most advanced (feature wise) and probably last one with old GUI.

Back to my main question, do you think it was inspired by Softimage or other software?
8bit guy with: :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane:

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:41 pm

I was one of the people that donated to the "Free Blender" campaign. It wasn't that long ago, 250,000 Euros if memory serves. They raised it in no time.

With regard to Blender's feature set, or Houdini or Softimage, or Maya for that matter, I think it's more dictated by how OpenGL is architected than plagiarizing user interface ideas from one to the other.

Oh and BTW theinonen, the Blender user interface is implemented in OpenGL so you can resize it, shrink/zoom dynamically and that includes everything because they didn't use a widget set, the buttons, scrollbars and everything else is all done in OpenGL...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

hamei

Unread postby hamei » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:03 am

vishnu wrote:With regard to Blender's feature set, or Houdini or Softimage, or Maya for that matter, I think it's more dictated by how OpenGL is architected than plagiarizing user interface ideas from one to the other.

Have you noticed that the swishy artistic programs seem to go with the four panes -- top view side view front view isometric view -- while the shirt-pocket-protector CAD apps like the single view, rotate-the-part style ?

I wonder why that is ?
I spent a fortune on booze, birds, and fast cars ... the rest I just squandered

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Unread postby vishnu » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:03 am

I have noticed that, in Maya I use the four pane view all the time but in twenty-plus years using Pro/E and Turbocad I've never used anything but a single pane view...
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”