Need Onyx2 demoprogram recommendation

3D/2D CGI and the tools used in their creation (Maya, Photoshop, Blender, GIMP, etc.).
Forum rules
Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.
bjornl

Need Onyx2 demoprogram recommendation

Unread postby bjornl » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:36 am

Not sure if this topic is better here or in 'IRIX and Software', but I wonder if anyone knows of a demo that will look cool on Onyx2, DG5-8 and 8 monitors.

I'm waiting for 8 pcs of 13W3-VGA adapters, then I'm going to try 8 monitors at 800x600 resolution on my Onyx2. Theoretically a 3200x1200 image.
I think I have the RMs to manage thas resolution.

Maybe I should run some fractal zoom-in or something.

vishnu
Donor
Donor

Re: Need Onyx2 demoprogram recommendation

Unread postby vishnu » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:41 am

Maybe the one this guy used:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdCsO3M-feU

Don't know what it is though... :cry:
Project:
Temporarily lost at sea...
Plan:
World domination! Or something...

:Tezro: :Octane2:

smj
Donor
Donor

Unread postby smj » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:07 pm

Looks to me like he just recorded a session in "dog," then replayed it and flew formation with the trace, recording the second session for playback as the demo. Switched his POV a few times for verisimilitude...
Then? :IRIS3130: ... Now? :O3x02L: :A3504L:- :A3502L: :1600SW:+MLA :Fuel: :Octane2: :Octane: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: ... Other: DEC :BA213: :BA123: Sun, DG AViiON, NeXT :Cube:

recondas

Unread postby recondas » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:09 pm

vishnu wrote:Maybe the one this guy used
That guy is our very own 87porsche.
vishnu wrote:Don't know what it is though... :cry:
That's A10 Attack from the Octane Demo CD. If bjornl wants to run it he'll have to do a RulesOverRide install, the installation prerequisites are for Octanes with MXE graphics (or SE/SSE with TMEZ).....though once installed it runs just fine on IR or VPro graphics.

bjornl - SGI did create a set of demo CDs for InfiniteReality Graphics. You might also look at the Performer Town demo. If you stack the monitors in surround-the-desk mode one of the InfiniteReality "Cave" applications in a minimal configuration might provide an impressive demo.

The source for the Cave version of Quake II is on the (freely downloadable) OpenGL MultiPipe Software Dev Kit. If you'd rather not compile there are binaries available for Cave Quake II and Cave Quake III Arena.

There's a video of Cave Quake III Arena in action on YouTube - lends a whole new perspective to the first-person-shooter concept.
Welcome to ARMLand - 0/0x0d00
running...(sherwood-root 0607201829)
* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

arhiman57

Unread postby arhiman57 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:30 am

Maybe you can find some cool stuff inside the Onyx2demosVolume 1 - 2 and 3 (3 complete CD). Tons of demo inside. Maybe someone can share them.

I don't know if they contain some optimised multi screen demo.

Here some screenshot of the html files inside these CD's that explain demo, config etc...
Attachments
onyx2.jpg
onyx1.jpg
:PI: :PI: :PI: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Onyx2: :Octane: :O2: :1600SW: :Fuel: :PrismDT:

bjornl

Unread postby bjornl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:27 am

Thank you for your help

recondas - There are certainly some interesting links there. I think I will try some of the things there.
Now I'm downloading eveything named OpenGL or Multipipe available to me at the supportfolio :-)

If I only had the room (and time, and knowledge) I could go for a cave :-). I have a couple of crt-projectors and some vr-equipment, but no place to set it up :-(

Someone has shared the Onyx2 demo CDs, so I'm gonna start with that. Hopefully I can test them this weekend on a single screen.

Return to “SGI: Computer Graphics”