Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm 

Doing some network work for an org I work with and I'm looking for something low power and ideally fanless (it will be going in an area that is definitely not an equipment room). Does not need to be fast, but boot off of a SSD or USB stick would be nice. Either complete or board - anyone got one in their junk box? Atom/Geode/whathaveyou. Heck, I might be able to use a Raspberry Pi - it'll be a Squidbox.Anyone know how the Pi would work without a local console? I don't see serial on it, but it could work.

Another possibility would be to use an old laptop, but my cache is suffering from Droves of Dead Drives, and PATA drives are harder to find and expensive now - again anyone have a junk box find in the ~40GB range? We wipe first if that's a concern.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:44 pm 

Is an Alix or Soekris box what you're looking for? They mostly use CF cards but can be made to do other funky things. A little on the pricy side perhaps. I've been planning on replacing the loud old PC IPSEC box at my parents' with an Alix.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:11 am 

SAQ wrote:
Anyone know how the Pi would work without a local console? I don't see serial on it, but it could work.

I have mine running headless on the LAN, access via ssh or vncserver. For serial access, a USB/serial adapter might do the trick nicely (perhaps http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/RPi.htm ), or the GPIO has RX and TX pins, apparently capable of providing a console:
http://www.element14.com/community/grou ... al-console

Or you could try wireless kbd/mouse and a very long video cable ;-)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:26 am 

duck wrote:
Is an Alix or Soekris box what you're looking for? They mostly use CF cards but can be made to do other funky things. A little on the pricy side perhaps. I've been planning on replacing the loud old PC IPSEC box at my parents' with an Alix.

Either of those could work, but we are talking a nonprofit here, so the economics are quite important - and either of those options seem to be noticeably more than a cheap Atom board (though I think I'd prefer a used, fanless single-core).

Another possibility would be the VIA APC, though even an Indy or O2 would be on the possibles list if we want to stay very on-topic - one box would be squidding 6 light-use connections, the other would need to be heftier as it will be doing 8. We do have a bunch of P4/Core2 machines, as well as disk-challenged P3/P-m laptops, that could be plundered - though their complexity, and the fact that the C2s are planned to give to computerless program participants, makes them suboptimal choices. One of these boxes will be running in a attic that's converted sufficiently to not be a fire hazard, but is still very much an attic - spiders and all.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:10 am 

I'm not saying this exclusively because I was recently wined and dined by some friendly folks in Dallas.. but..

have you looked into the beagleboard ? It's more of a hacker tool/toy than end-use friendly... but it deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the other boards mentioned here.

An old laptop is a good option as well. Either use a USB stick, or a CF card (with IDE machine) and adapter.