Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 9:54 am 

Hi,

anybody in the know concerning the Dell Poweredge 7250?
I'm interested in a version with 4xIntel Itanium Cpus specced at 1,6 Ghz and 8 Gigs of Ram.

The question is: Which operating systems could possibly be installed on this machine? Considering that Dell is primarily a Wintel shop I don't assume that it would be possible to somehow slap OpenVMS or HP/UX on this box, right?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:50 am 

Highly unlikely. HP's Itanium systems use HP core logic, and HP-UX and OpenVMS are written to run on these systems as opposed to the Intel core logic of your Dell. There's a slight possibility that it might work, because the early OpenVMS IA64 work was done on Intel reference machines, but I wouldn't count on it.

The Dell will run IA64 Windows and Linux.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:26 pm 

SAQ wrote:

I wonder if you could get Haiku to run on it ? Useless, but maybe fun ?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:02 pm 

hamei wrote:
SAQ wrote:

I wonder if you could get Haiku to run on it ? Useless, but maybe fun ?

I like Haiku and there are more applications for it than IRIX.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:59 pm 

PymbleSoftware wrote:

Any that use the hotdog features of an itanic, though ?

Looking back at it, I'm not sure what the Itanic was supposed to accomplish ? (Besides putting HP and SGI out of business.) I mean, the Itanic went down hard, everyone stuck to x86, and the new thing is the Atom. Is someone trying to tell us that personal computer sales are driven more by fads than need ?

Unread postPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:33 pm 

hamei wrote:
PymbleSoftware wrote:

Any that use the hotdog features of an itanic, though ?

Not that I am aware of ... But there is still some active development and at least 3 or 4 times as many people on #haiku-os as there are on #nekochan ... and people talking about things like newer graphics drivers etc...

hamei wrote:
Looking back at it, I'm not sure what the Itanic was supposed to accomplish ? (Besides putting HP and SGI out of business.) I mean, the Itanic went down hard, everyone stuck to x86, and the new thing is the Atom. Is someone trying to tell us that personal computer sales are driven more by fads than need ?

Even more fads in software development... 4GLs in the 1980s (Human Engineered Software Inc anyone?) .. Agile ... Scrum ... Client/Server, Cloud, etc.
Bah humbug to all of it.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:29 am 

In case someone want's a OpenVMS capable Itanium box I have one sitting unused in my garage...

Unread postPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:22 pm 

Just checking out something else and it seems that, of all the distros*, FreeBSD supports the Itanium as well, and the E8870 core logic that the Dell uses. I think that's what I'd go for if I had that machine.

*Not that I have anything against FreeBSD - it's one of the more advanced BSDs out there. There's just something wrong about a BSD that doesn't support any DEC machines, so I don't check it out as often.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:04 am 

SAQ wrote:
Just checking out something else and it seems that, of all the distros*, FreeBSD supports the Itanium as well, and the E8870 core logic that the Dell uses. I think that's what I'd go for if I had that machine.

*Not that I have anything against FreeBSD - it's one of the more advanced BSDs out there. There's just something wrong about a BSD that doesn't support any DEC machines, so I don't check it out as often.

Well, 6 or 7 years ago I was running FreeBSD on my DEC Alpha PWS500a..seemed to run just fine?
Though as far as I understand, FreeBSD dropped support for Alpha a few years ago, right?

Anyways, my Alpha runs OpenVMS and Tru64 now..on two separate harddiscs :D

Thanks anyway for answering my initial question, guess it would have been too good to be true, those Dell boxes are pretty cheap, affordable Itanium harddware is rare here in Germany...or maybe I just don't know where to look.

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:14 am 

doalwa wrote:
SAQ wrote:

Well, 6 or 7 years ago I was running FreeBSD on my DEC Alpha PWS500a..seemed to run just fine?
Though as far as I understand, FreeBSD dropped support for Alpha a few years ago, right?

Thanks anyway for answering my initial question, guess it would have been too good to be true, those Dell boxes are pretty cheap, affordable Itanium harddware is rare here in Germany...or maybe I just don't know where to look.

I'm curious, what are you doing with openvms/tru64?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:41 pm 

doalwa wrote:

FreeBSD isn't as committed to arch support as NetBSD is. It does, however, have ZFS and is nicely stable. As I said, it would probably be what I'd choose to run on a non-OVMS capable I64. Pity it doesn't support Altix.

OpenVMS is pretty fast - a 5 VUPS VAX is slow with DECwindows, but text is fine - and faster machines are just fine with DECwindows. The at-home hobbyist doesn't really need an IA64 - look at what Deathrow uses for hobbyist interactive access.

I'm not guaranteeing that OVMS-I64 won't work, but it's definitely not supported and there are some significant silicon differences between the Dell and HP boxes.

Quote:

Ah, the joys of SBBs (as long as you can find the "cans" that work). Mine does too - at least the 1000a/333. The trick with Tru64 mounting by disk serial number is really nice for this, since you can move it around if necessary. The PC164LX and DEC3k only have single disks, so they're VMS-only.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:14 pm 

mia wrote:
doalwa wrote:
SAQ wrote:

I'm curious, what are you doing with openvms/tru64?

Nothing much, really...I'm just another hobbyist :-) Sourced a hobbyist license for Tru64 directly from HP a couple of years back and joined a HP user group to get hold of a hobbyist license for OpenVMS.
OpenVMS always interested me, it's just completely different from Unix and frankly, just so much cooler than the n-th iteration of Unix from yet another vendor...but I'm afraid, I lack the time, skill and determination to really do something useful and interesting with either Tru64 or OpenVMS ;)

So, from time to time, I dust the old Alpha off and give her a spin, just to make sure it's still working...a fate which my Alpha shares with the rest of my old machines which include a nice IBM RS/6000 running AIX 5.3, and my two SGIs, one Octane connected to a Presenter 1280 display and my VW320 connected to my 1600SW..