Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:17 am 

So I'm making a new website and I'm trying to decide between these three database management systems. I figure that Nekochan knows more than me on this issue because I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys.

I want to go commercial with the site, so I'd like a ton of scalability and speed. So I'm thinking of either MySQL or NoSQL, just based on what I've read.

(Sorry if this is in the wrong area. I'm going to be running on a Linux system.)

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:32 am 

Wish I could give some insight, but I'm stuck in a SQL Server only environment (which is not a bad thing). Except our 4-5 Wordpress sites that I run on MySQL and that's only because adding yet another license of SQL Server to the mix would be insane financially (Sharepoint causes enough budget problems as it is).

But just a general word of advice, writing efficient PHP/Ruby/C# etc is much more important. If you're doing excessive
Code:
SELECT * FROM SomeTable

It is not going to really matter how nice of a DB software you've got. Use stored procedures where possible, it'll make your site faster and will create some modularity in your code.

Is this site going to be custom code or are you using a CMS like Drupal/Wordpress etc?

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 9:08 am 

the decision whether to use SQL or NoSQL should be very fundamental in the kind of data you are about to store. if the data is highly interconnected, a relational schema might be more appropriate. NoSQL databases work very different from classical relational dbms, so this question should be answered quite early on.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:51 am 

oreissig is completely right. Particularly if you are serious about it being a commercial site, you should speak about your data and its intended use with someone experienced in database design. A little investment in time/money right now can make a big difference in your bottom line when you have customers later.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:50 pm 

Given the current situation with MySQL, between those two I'd probably choose Postgres ....

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:25 am 

hamei wrote:
Given the current situation with MySQL, between those two I'd probably choose Postgres ....

Yep, the company MySQL is keeping right now is kind of shady. Still, it's decent software, and Oracle isn't nearly as bad about the former Sun products as they could have been. I don't know if I'd elect to lock in to something from Oracle right now, though.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 3:07 pm 

hamei wrote:
Given the current situation with MySQL, ...
SAQ wrote:
Yep, the company MySQL is keeping right now is kind of shady. ... I don't know if I'd elect to lock in to something from Oracle right now, though.

I'm confident using MySQL. Why? Because if Oracle gets stupid(er), there are drop-in replacements: MariaDB, starring Monty himself, for an equivalent platform; and Drizzle is maintaining compatibility while reimplementing for performance and scalability, with lots of new features.

PostgreSQL is a fine platform - you'll be very happy if you choose it. But I wouldn't avoid MySQL just because of concerns about Oracle...

Backing up to the more general question: You need to let your data drive the decision between relational and, uh, post-relational. Do some reading about where things like MongoDB are most effectively used, and see how that matches your plans. If you can talk to a DB pro that'd be better, but at least see what the platforms/projects say for themselves.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:45 pm 

I see. I'm probably going to have a lot of game data (i.e., saves) and a lot of community data (i.e., users, posts, groups). I might also have an advertising service running on said DBMS.

@Adrenaline: Thanks for the coding advice. :) Yeah, custom code, not a premade CMS.
@Oreissig: I'll research further, but since my data seems like it will be interlinked heavily, I think I'll go with PostgreSQL or MySQL.
@SMJ: Yeah, I think I've gotten a bit more understanding of DBMS out of this topic. I'll try seeing if one of my buddies knows something about this, even though they're mostly exclusively MySQL developers. But I figure I'll just have to use trusty old Google.

Unread postPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 8:15 pm 

Nuke wrote:
@Adrenaline: Thanks for the coding advice. :) Yeah, custom code, not a premade CMS

If you're using PHP check out the Smarty Template Engine http://www.smarty.net/, one of the best things to use for creating modular PHP code to separate the UI and Business Layers. Throw in a pretty nice PDO Object Data Layer (might be a better alternative now, but this was the best route 2 years ago) and you'll end up with a nice 3 layer architecture that you can grow on.

If you're not using PHP, just keep the architecture in mind, especially if you don't want to be forced to rewrite it a couple months in when a new feature breaks your spaghetti code :)

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Last edited by Adrenaline on Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:41 am 

I'll see if Smarty suits my needs. Thanks for the advice. Yes, I am programming this in PHP for the most part. I was looking into the architecture that I need to use by reading the code of my current forum software (MyBB), and noticed the whole three layer thing.