Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Post subject: Internet Setup O2
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 am 

Ok, here it goes.

I'm trying to get my SGI O2 connected to the internet but i am a network NoOb :oops:

Situation:

Downstairs there is a wireless network router/modem, type: Zyxel p-2812HNU(L)
This modem is transmitting a wireless ADSL internet connection.

Upstairs, i have a Windows 7 PC with a wireless usb adapter in it (sitecom wl608) that recieves the
signal from downstairs.

Is it possible to share that wireless connection with my SGI O2?
I have a spare Sitecom wireless router, type: WL-312.
I have connected the sitecom router to my O2 (with a network cable) and i can get into the setup (192.168.0.1)

How do i connect with my pc's wireless internet connection? I've tried to read on other forums/obsolete website
and stuff, but i can't find info anywhere for this setup. And this is the ONLY way i can get internet, i can't get it by
wire.

So please,

Can someone point me in the right direction because i'm getting desperate :cry: I really want my SGI to connect to the
internet and maybe even into my windows network.

Thanks in advance 8-)

Post subject: Re: Internet Setup O2
Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:00 am 

I would just set up a static route.. this document may be useful:
http://software.majix.org/irix/network-setup.shtml

The people of earth never were cut out for this sedentary lifestyle. Millions of years of evolution, fine tuning these beautiful nomadic legs, and in less than two hundred years we’ve folded them up and put them away under our laptops.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:09 am 

Years ago I had an Octane connected to one of those RJ45->Wireless adapters (you usually find them used for Xbox 360s or other wired only devices).

I have 2 of these currently running from the basement level (one connected to my blu-ray player and the other to my DVR):
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless-Gaming-Adapter-TEW-647GA/dp/B0024G48VA

:Indigo: 33mhz R3k/48mb/XS24 :Indy: 150mhz R4400/256mb/XL24 :Fuel: 600mhz R14kA/2gb/V10 Image 8x1.4ghz Itanium 2/8GB :O3x08R: 32x600mhz R14kA/24GB :Tezro: 4x700mhz R16k/8GB/V12/DCD/SAS/FC/DM5 (2x) :O3x0: 4x700mhz R16k/4GB :PrismDT: 2x1.6ghz 8mb/12gb/SAS/2xFGL

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:36 am 

There are a couple of ways that you can proceed. Unfortunately, since your O2 does not directly support wireless networking, you will have to use an ethernet cable to connect your O2 to something which supports "bridging" between wireless hardware and ethernet hardware. Fortunately, your Windows PC supports that, and your Sitecom router does, too, though they do it in two very different ways. (Adrenaline's suggestion is very similar.)

Whether you choose to connect your O2 to your PC or your Sitecom router, you will set up your O2 in the same way: depending on your preferences, you will either configure the O2 to use static IP addressing and routing, or you will configure it to use DHCP addressing with a defined route. (Since you mentioned that you are a network noob, "addressing" means that your O2 has a way of getting a unique "IP" address on your network. Static IP addressing means that *you* manually give your O2 a specific address, and it will use that address forever, unless you manually tell it to use a different address. DHCP addressing means that your O2 will get its IP address and some other stuff dynamically from another system, such as your Zyxel router. "Routing" is how your O2 will know how to connect to things outside your home network, like the Internet. Basically, you need to tell your O2 explicitly to send things meant for the internet to your Zyxel router, which will then handle transferring information between your O2 and the Internet. There are a bunch of how-to guides on the internet that describe configuring O2s to use cable/ADSL modems, and they should work fine for your case.)

Probably the easiest thing for you to do will be to use your PC as a bridge between the Zyxel router's wireless connection and the O2's ethernet connection. The way you would configure your PC varies slightly depending on the version of Windows that you are using, but you can find step-by-step guides by searching the internet for "windows internet connection sharing," or something like that. The connection would look something like this:
Zyxel wireless <---> PC Wireless <-> PC Ethernet <---> O2 Ethernet

The biggest disadvantage to using your PC as a bridge is that it needs to be powered on any time you want to use your O2 on the network.

The other option is to configure your Sitecom router as a wireless bridge between your Zyxel router and your O2. This is similar to the PC approach, but it can be trickier to set up, since consumer routers sometimes use non-standard ways to handle bridging. The advantages to using the Sitecom as a bridge instead of your PC are that it is quieter and uses much less power than the PC, so it is more reasonable to leave it on all the time, and that the Sitecom has multiple ethernet ports, so you would be able to plug in other network devices, like printers, etc. Search the net for the Sitecom manual, and you will probably have enough info on enabling "bridge mode" to get started, though you may need to poke around various networking forums to get more detailed instructions for your particular model. Among other things, you will need to supply the Sitecom router with the Zyxel router's wireless SSID and wireless MAC address.

The connections here would look like this:
Zyxel wireless <---> Sitecom Wireless <-> Sitecom Ethernet <---> O2 Ethernet

Like I said, the Sitecom approach has some technical/convenience advantages once it is set up, but the PC approach is much simpler to set up. Good luck!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 am 

guardian452 wrote:
I would just set up a static route.. this document may be useful:
http://software.majix.org/irix/network-setup.shtml

Yeah i looked at that page earlier but its not noobish enough ;-)
When the tutorial speaks of (for instance) subnetmask of my network, do they mean
the subnetwork of my router? or of my SGI or the pc or the wireless connection?
Too many things that are not clear and thats why i don't get it to work.

My setup involves the Sitecom wireless router that sits in between the PC and the SGI,
and i can't get it to work.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:11 am 

Thanks josehill !!

Working on it right now!

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am 

:( Well , i'm even more lost then before....i can't get it to work.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 pm 

Skysearcher wrote:
My setup involves the Sitecom wireless router that sits in between the PC and the SGI, and i can't get it to work.

You don't want/need the Sitecom router between the PC and the SGI.

Either:
(1) connect the O2 **directly to the PC** via ethernet cable and then use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to let the PC "share" its WL-608 USB adapter with the O2,
or
(2) connect the O2 to the Sitecom WL-312 router via an ethernet cable and then set up the WL-312 to connect to the Zyxel router as a wireless client or bridge. In this case, you don't connect the PC to anything except the existing WL-608 USB adapter.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:03 pm 

josehill wrote:
Skysearcher wrote:
My setup involves the Sitecom wireless router that sits in between the PC and the SGI, and i can't get it to work.

You don't want/need the Sitecom router between the PC and the SGI.

Either:
(1) connect the O2 **directly to the PC** via ethernet cable and then use Windows Internet Connection Sharing to let the PC "share" its WL-608 USB adapter with the O2,
or
(2) connect the O2 to the Sitecom WL-312 router via an ethernet cable and then set up the WL-312 to connect to the Zyxel router as a wireless client or bridge. In this case, you don't connect the PC to anything except the existing WL-608 USB adapter.

Yep, i went for option 1, and got nothing.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

Skysearcher wrote:
Yep, i went for option 1, and got nothing.

hmmm maybe you use the wrong cable? im not sure but if using this option, should you use a cross LAN cable? not a straight LAN cable? because you connected your O2 directly to PC, not via router. hope this help :)

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:59 pm 

geo wrote:
hmmm maybe you use the wrong cable? im not sure but if using this option, should you use a cross LAN cable? not a straight LAN cable? because you connected your O2 directly to PC, not via router. hope this help :)

Good point. You might need a "crossover" ethernet cable to connect an O2 directly to an older PC, but if the PC is less than five or ten years old, it shouldn't be necessary. Probably by around 2003 or so, most name-brand PCs were shipping with "auto-sensing" ethernet ports. Pretty much everything on the market now is auto-sensing.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:10 pm 

josehill wrote:
... since your O2 does not directly support wireless networking ...

There is a way to do that .... I think one of the Z's (Zafter, Zafunk, Zahal ?) did it here, there should be an article ?

Probably a little more esoteric than he wants for a start, tho. Looked like a pretty neat way to do wireless for any SGI with a pci slot.

Nobody makes a wireless receiver - to - ethernet adapter ?

yes, they do ... I set up a few peecees with some D-Link wireless receivers. Worked okay, even in a noisy environment. I was surprised. Little square boxes with an antenna and a cable output and a 'D' on the top. Wireless bridge ?

edit : just checked fleaBay. There are tons of bridges, access points, ethernet adapters for less than twenty dollars. Simple setup. Works good. Go for it. Gettit straight. Whip it, whip it good.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:56 pm 

Yeah, a "wireless bridge" will do the job. I used one to connect the media stack in the living room since I'm too lazy to finish my physical wiring. Adrenaline was on the mark with recommending the game console adapters.

hamei is probably thinking of the PCI cards that had a WiFi access point/bridge on board, I remember reading the write-up here. However I think they aren't as common or cheap as the wireless bridges are now, and they were probably only good for 802.11b, or g at best. Nice to have it all-in-one, but...

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 pm 

Just a reminder: the OP mentioned that he had a spare Sitecom WL-312 router on hand. According to its manual, it can be configured to act as a wireless bridge instead of a router. Using either that or the PC's "Internet Connection Sharing," there shouldn't be any need to buy anything.

My bet is that OP doesn't have the O2 configured correctly yet, i.e. the usual DHCP, default route, and subnet issues that a lot of folks who are new to IRIX networking bump into.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:07 pm 

josehill wrote:
geo wrote:

Good point. You might need a "crossover" ethernet cable to connect an O2 directly to an older PC, but if the PC is less than five or ten years old, it shouldn't be necessary. Probably by around 2003 or so, most name-brand PCs were shipping with "auto-sensing" ethernet ports. Pretty much everything on the market now is auto-sensing.

oh! haha thanks for this jose, i think i need to update my knowledge on latest ethernet ports hehe noted with thanks ;)

yeah i also think the OP just need to setup the O2s network settings correctly then he will be fine :)

how about we suggest him to setup the spare WL-312 using his PC first and check if he can establish internet connection with this setup:
Zyxel wireless <---> Sitecom Wireless <-> Sitecom Ethernet <---> PC Ethernet

if success, then proceed with:
Zyxel wireless <---> Sitecom Wireless <-> Sitecom Ethernet <---> O2 Ethernet

then all will be well ;)