Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:58 am 

Just curious to see what you guys value an Octane2 with dcd/v12 dual 600MHz system at. Or broken down by component Octane2 Cherokee PS 2-4GB ram chassis with decent skins, dual 600MHz module, dual 400MHz module, V12 board, dcd board for v12?

I just got the V12/dcd for mine and love it. The problem is, I work two jobs all the time and I am never home to enjoy it. I want to purchase another complete Octane2 but I just can't justify the cost. I spent 400 bucks on the v12 graphics board with dcd. Honestly, I love my SGI but it is outrageous for what it really is. I am basically using it for a glorified Xterm. I could have bought an i7 mobo with cpu or hellish nvidia card for what I spent on it roughly.

To me, 400-500 bucks should be what a complete Octane2 with v12/dcd/dual 400 or 600MHz should cost. Am I way off on this?

thanks!
Opcode

:Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:
Stolen! :4D310: :Crimson:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:32 pm 

Depends on what buyers are in the market. It can be $400, or it can be $2000 - depending on who needs one right now and how long you're willing to wait.

Piece by piece will probably get you the best price, but it's more work and you're tearing up a system.

Also keep in mind that that's a very nice Octane, and if you aren't getting what you put in out of it you might want to keep it to sate your SGI cravings. Octanes are fast (for a SGI), durable, and not all that big. In preference to buying another Octane and selling the one you've got I'd say keep it in preference to the "new one" and enjoy - remember the shipping costs on these things.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:59 pm 

{Damn laptop overheated and shutdown when I was replying this morning...}

Unfortunately the Octane V12 w/ DCD and the dual 600 CPU module are rare enough that they epitomize the line, "whatever price the market will bear." Sometimes you can find them for a lower price, but it's completely unpredictable. And if it were just about the capabilities of the system, even the price you cite would be way overpriced. As it stands, both of these items usually sell for over $300 when they do pop up - as you saw... But then you usually do better financially if you're able to completely part out and sell the components than you would selling the whole thing.

To SAQ's point, the cheapest SGI is the one you already own. (I have to constantly remind myself of this... :roll: ) Now if you wanted to swap a cheap Octane for your loaded Octane because you need the cash, that's a decision only you can make. But if you don't need the cash, or aren't sure - consider how much time, effort and money it'll take if you want to recreate it later.

If you were thinking of adding a second Octane just to have two, well, consider what you said about not having time to do anything with the first one... Again, something I have to frequently remind myself of so that I don't, for example, head down to LA to grab one of those Onyx2 desksides that are available. :cry:

Hope there was something helpful in all that blather. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:04 pm 

Thanks for the reply. I have a basement full of various SGI systems. I love the octane, I didn't mean I wanted to sell that one, I was just wondering why the prices were still so high. I want to buy two more octane 2s with v12 and DCD to put one at each job.

I guess the prices are still high because SGI stuff from that era is still bad ass and current Linux sucks compared to ancient IRIX.

Linux rant.... It seems like the Linux distros keep getting worse....Redhat 6 is horrible.....

:Tezro: :Onyx2: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indigo: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :O2: :1600SW: :1600SW: :320: :Indigo2IMP: :Indigo2: :Octane2: :Octane2: :Octane: :Fuel: :Fuel:

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:12 pm 

Sorry smj, didn't see your reply until after I replied to SAQ. I have a few octanes, I will just have to suck it up and drop the cash if I want them bad enough with all the goodies. I am really digging the octane 2 with dual dvi. I am a admin/engineer so I spend most of my time in ssh sessions. I would just rather have that ssh session originate from IRIX.

And if I could make it down to Cali, I would soooo pick up those Onyx racks for pennies in a heart beat.....

And I would like to extend a heart felt thank you to all of you guys. Without nekochan, the SGI scene would have been dead looooong ago. Thanks for all your hard work making the forum and nekoware available!

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:01 pm 

opcode wrote:
And I would like to extend a heart felt thank you to all of you guys. Without nekochan, the SGI scene would have been dead looooong ago. Thanks for all your hard work making the forum and nekoware available!

Thank-yous are very gracious and the mark of a gentleman. But God helps those who help themselves ... Porting software to Irix is a skill we don't all have, but any of us can take a nekoware package and carefully install, then report back in the Development forum. Given a little feedback, maybe more people would be motivated to create that good nekoware stuff ...

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:29 pm 

If you're looking at buying, based on your "use report" a V12/DCD is spending money unnecessarily. Go ahead and get a decent CPU and put in dual SE cards. Two monitors, much cheaper. If you want texturing you can go dual SE+T or dual MXE, but do note that dual-MXE will turn on fastfan.

There are those who say I'm a bit of a curmudgeon. To them I reply: "GET OFF MY LAWN!"

:Indigo: :Octane: :Indigo2: :Indigo2IMP: :Indy: :PI: :O3x0: :ChallengeL: :O2000R: (single-CM)

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:36 am 

The DVI interface is a must. The 13w3 just doesn't look as crisp hooked up to the LCD monitors. I worked it out though. I snagged another fuel from a friend. Now I have two with v12 and single dvi. I will use the fuels at work and keep the octane at home. I am going to do a fresh reinstall on the octane2 this weekend and document from start to finish. I want to make a "fresh workstation" install guide complete with all of the tips and tricks in one place. I haven't found a doc like this so if anyone knows of one, let me know.

thanks!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:41 am 

opcode wrote:
I am going to do a fresh reinstall on the octane2 this weekend and document from start to finish. I want to make a "fresh workstation" install guide complete with all of the tips and tricks in one place. I haven't found a doc like this so if anyone knows of one, let me know.

The wiki can get you pretty close:
"IRIX 6.5.x Install on an Octane" to get IRIX on board: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_6.5.x ... _on_Octane
and "IRIX installation and Customization" for tips, tricks and other essential tweaks: http://www.nekochan.net/wiki/IRIX_Insta ... tomization
but please feel free to log into the wiki and consolidate or expand as needed.

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *