Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:55 am 

Tested in Irix 6.5.21f and 6.5.30 in 400MHz Octane 2 with no problems. Moved big files (>600MB) over my LAN and downloaded Quake from Nekochan server without problems. Strange behaviour in the local file list: the two dots used to go up one folder level are appearing at the end of the list while in the remote file list are at the top (as usual); and if one file list is not full of file names, the window is not white but this is only cosmetic, everything works OK.

1 vote to promote to stable.
Attachment:
File comment: AxyFTP (urxftp) 0.5.2
urxftp.jpg
urxftp.jpg [ 171.77 KiB | Viewed 1297 times ]

http://unixverse.blogspot.com

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:22 am 

That definitively needs App Defaults to enable SGI Schemes, but I'd guess that it's missing its own App Defaults entirely. I suspect it should look more like this by default:

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:28 pm 

canavan wrote:
That definitively needs App Defaults to enable SGI Schemes, but I'd guess that it's missing its own App Defaults entirely.

Sorry :oops: That's what you get when you send a boy out to do a man's job ...

Titox, if you create a file in your app-defaults directory named Axyftp, with the follwing inside :
Code:
! axyftp settings

Axyftp*sgiMode:       true
Axyftp*useSchemes:       all
Axyftp*Background:       gray85

then you will get something a little more presentable ...
Attachment:
axyscreen.jpg
axyscreen.jpg [ 127.74 KiB | Viewed 1273 times ]

Actually, there's a lot of room there for improvement .... it would be nice if it were a real SGI-Look application but at least it's Motif and seems to work. I've been using it for months without any big problems. There are actually a few changes from the stock version - a little larger feedback area, clearer titles on the buttons, etc etc. But if canavan or another talented person wanted to fix the non-4dwm look widgets (progress bar in particular) and make it color-scheme compatible I would not feel insulted. The app also has a problem with figuring the size of huge files. They transfer fine but the progress bar and the size display are screwed up. It's cosmetic but still ...

Titox, did you install the patch to 6.5.21 to make it compatible with 6.5.22 ? I forget what the problem was but there was some reason dexter1 was adamant about that ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:12 am 

The app-defaults file is on place. Am I missing something? Software installation? Configuration?
hamei wrote:
Titox, did you install the patch to 6.5.21 to make it compatible with 6.5.22 ? I forget what the problem was but there was some reason dexter1 was adamant about that ...
What patch is this? BTW the problem is with 6.5.30 also...

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:11 am 

Titox wrote:
The app-defaults file is on place. Am I missing something? Software installation? Configuration?

Oi vay. Well, you could always put the settings in .Xdefaults for the time being. I'll try to figure out why that works here but not for you ...
Titox wrote:
What patch is this? BTW the problem is with 6.5.30 also...

This is going back a long time, we better ask recondas to do a search, but there was a patch that was (supposedly) necessary to run nekoware on 6.5.21. Pete might remember more about that ... 6.5.22 doesn't need it but if you go there, you lose Impressario and Display Postscript and a lot of other good stuff. Some day someone should put together a distribution of Irix that has all the good stuff from pre-22 included with the good stuff from 6.5.30 ...

meanwhile, sorry about the app-defaults, I think there's actually a newer version here somewhere but finding it might be a problem ... try sticking those settings in your xdefaults for now ?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:45 am 

hamei wrote:
try sticking those settings in your xdefaults for now ?

I can observe similar behaviour on my 6.5.27: the app-defaults file has no effect but putting the stuff to the ~/.Xdefaults works. But only if a use "axyftp*Backgroud" instead of the "Axyftp*Background":
Code:
axyftp*sgiMode:       true
axyftp*useSchemes:    all
axyftp*Background:    gray85

Anyway, it is a very nice program.

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:35 am 

Writing this lines in $HOME/.Sgiresources (As Xdefaults is named in Irix) solved the problem but I had to write in booth accounts (root and the user) separately.
Code:
axyftp*sgiMode:       true
axyftp*useSchemes:    all
axyftp*Background:    gray85

Thanks.

Maybe is anything to do with xrdb?

Unread postPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:35 pm 

Titox wrote:
Maybe is anything to do with xrdb?

More likely has to do with the stupid guy who put it together ... sorry :oops: I'll try to fix it some day ....

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:14 pm 

I'm a bit curious,
Where is the source code? The .idb of the package says /usr/nekoware/src/axyftp-0.5.2.tar.gz but there is nothing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:54 pm 

Titox wrote:
I'm a bit curious,
Where is the source code? The .idb of the package says /usr/nekoware/src/axyftp-0.5.2.tar.gz but there is nothing.

Ouch ! Ouch ! Ouch ! Does this mean you won't be recommending moving to current ? :oops:

Actually, i made this for myself but figured may as well share ... guess if I'm going to share I better do a better job in the future, hunh ? Will try to fix the delinquencies this weekend. Thank you for the comments. No pain, no gain ....

If you want to mess with the source, Titox, pm me and I can mail it to you. There are a few improvements (at least I think they are improvements) so if you want to save a little effort, no problem to send it to you. And I'll make a new 'dist with the source included.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:11 am 

hamei wrote:
Ouch ! Ouch ! Ouch ! Does this mean you won't be recommending moving to current ?

I recommend for current as it works so good!

As I said, I'm only curious to compare diferences between the original source to the Irix one. Only for play and learn.

I can wait to your new dist release. :D

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:05 am 

Titox wrote:
I'm a bit curious,

That's fairly common with Nekoware packages, in my (limited) experience. That's in keeping with the instructions in the "Final Steps" section of the Nekoware Packaging wiki page. Poke around in swmgr and you'll find the option to view the subsystems of the tardist to see what is/isn't installed by default and install any extra parts that you want.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm 

jpstewart wrote:
Titox wrote:
I'm a bit curious,

That's fairly common with Nekoware packages ... Poke around in swmgr and you'll find the option to view the subsystems of the tardist to see what is/isn't installed by default and install any extra parts that you want.

Ah. I thought he meant that it wasn't there at all. Yes, the source code defaults to being an optional install. Release notes and other extras as well. In this case tho, it might be entirely missing :oops: Will try for a more correct package maybe this weekend ... at least the program works okay, it's the niceties that are fubar.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:34 am 

Works without issue in either Motif blue or SGI 85% gray.

Tritox wrote:
I recommend for current as it works so good!
jirka wrote:
Anyway, it is a very nice program.

If both of those count then I'll claim the third. +1 for current

* InfiniteReality/Reality Software, IRIX 6.5 Release *

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:22 am 

recondas wrote:
Works without issue in either Motif blue or SGI 85% gray.
If both of those count then I'll claim the third. +1 for current

Umm, thanks guys but to be honest, I don't think this dist is up to neko standards. It does work but if I got this from freeware I'd have a seriously negative impression. If y'all can wait a bit* I'll try to improve it.

* Having a skirmish with the Greatest Bureaucracy the World Has Ever Seen. They are a formidable opponent, to be sure :(