Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:05 am 

Today I uploaded 3 new builds from a current cvs checkout of Mozilla 1.8 source base to incoming and asked nekonoko to put it in beta.

neko_firefox-2.0.0.22pre_mar2012.tardist
neko_seamonkey-1.1.20pre_mar2012.tardist
neko_thunderbird-2.0.0.25pre_mar2012.tardist

The thunderbird version includes a working lightning 0.9 for Irix. I have also build a working sunbird 0.9pre, which will be available, when I have build an icon for it. All builds are -O3 optimized and should bring some performance improvements compared with existing -O2 builds.

The calendar tools had some trouble with the xml module of the javascript code. This is the reason, why the lightning extension will not work with existing neko_thunderbird builds. The workaround was to put this object to the list of -O1 optimized files. If here is an experienced C++ coder, it would be a good idea to look at the javascript engine. If it is possible to build all of it with -O3 optimization, we would have some more performance improvements.

I just made a rsync with nekochan.net, here you go:

ftp://ftp.nekoware.de/beta/neko_firefox ... 12.tardist
ftp://ftp.nekoware.de/beta/neko_seamonk ... 12.tardist
ftp://ftp.nekoware.de/beta/neko_thunder ... 12.tardist

Last edited by diegel on Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:04 am 

Nice! Is there a large difference between -O3 and -O2 build in end-user performance?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:19 am 

telackey wrote:
Nice! Is there a large difference between -O3 and -O2 build in end-user performance?

On my Tezro it is a noticeable difference. But don't expect too much, just try it.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:28 am 

diegel wrote:
On my Tezro it is a noticeable difference. But don't expect too much, just try it.

Oh-oh. The sqlite problem rears its ugly head :(
Code:
16005:/usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/firefox-bin: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/firefox-bin: sqlite3ApiExit
16005:/usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/firefox-bin: rld: Fatal Error: this executable has unresolvable symbols

What's your situation with sqlite3 ?

Just for fun, if you're going to play with this, here are the flags neko used to build an r16-optimized firefox ...

Code:
c99     N/A     -O3 -mips4 -n32 -INLINE -woff 1174 -OPT:Olimit=0:roundoff=3 -TARG:platform=IP35:proc=r16000 -woff 3262 -G 4 -n32
CC    N/A    -LANG:exceptions=OFF -O3 -mips4 -n32 -Zf,_245 -INLINE -woff 1110,1171,1201,1355,3201 -OPT:Olimit=0:roundoff=3 -TARG:platform=IP35:proc=r16000 -woff 3262 -G 4 -n32 -I/usr/nekoware/include -I/usr/nekoware/include/glib-1.2 -I/usr/nekoware/lib/glib/include

Configure arguments
--enable-application=browser --prefix=/usr/nekoware --enable-application=browser --enable-optimize=-O3 --disable-debug --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-tests --enable-default-toolkit=gtk --enable-freetype2 --disable-accessibility --enable-official-branding

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 am 

Quote:
What's your situation with sqlite3 ?

I used the libsqlite3 which comes withe the mozilla source. I guess you have neko_slite3 installed. I can build the package with neko_sqlite3, but then we have a new dependency. If you add the firefox directory to your LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH it should work.

Did you checkout this:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16726024&start=15&hilit=sqlite

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:32 am 

hamei wrote:
Code:
16005:/usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/firefox-bin: rld: Error: unresolvable symbol in /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/firefox-bin: sqlite3ApiExit
16005:/usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/firefox-bin: rld: Fatal Error: this executable has unresolvable symbols

I see the same problem with the current version of firefox when neko_sqlite is installed. What version do you used before the upgrade to my new version?

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:33 am 

diegel wrote:
If you add the firefox directory to your LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH it should work.

That's a no-no. I'm not going to get into it because I'd screw up the reasoning, but check with canavan or bplaa-yai or dexter1. Bad bad idea.

diegel wrote:
hamei wrote:
Code:

I see the same problem with the current version of firefox when neko_sqlite is installed. What version do you used before the upgrade to my new version ?

Unfortunately, I have Alzheinmer's :( It was 2.0.0.22pre but which one, I am not certain. There have been several floating around in nekoware. At the moment I backed up to the 2.0.0.20 optimized version that neko built for r16 and it is working fine with nekoware sqlite3.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am 

hamei wrote:
diegel wrote:
If you add the firefox directory to your LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH it should work.

That's a no-no. I'm not going to get into it because I'd screw up the reasoning, but check with canavan or bplaa-yai or dexter1. Bad bad idea.

The mozilla people had this idea before, I looked at run-mozilla.sh and they exactly do this before they start the binary. We have a -rpath option at some point, I will look after that.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:30 pm 

diegel wrote:
The mozilla chimpanzees had this idea before

If it's from Mozilla, you know it's a bad idea !

Quote:
I looked at run-mozilla.sh and they exactly do this before they start the binary

Ja, that's the approved method of dealing with crap software that needs an LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH setting. At least if you put it in a wrapper script it doesn't mess with everything else. There are programs which get screwed up by a user-wide LD_LIBRARYN32_PATH environment setting. It's not that rare, either.

I'd still like to know what the heck is going on with the sqlite3 thing. I have a 2.0.0.22 fireflop and this 2.0.0.20 optimized fireflop I'm using at the moment that aren't bothered by the sqlite3 which is in /beta. Others have had problems (altho it's Pentium, so we also need to take that into account :)

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:01 am 

Hamei, I think it's really bad style to quote me with words I didn't write and never would write. I have great respect for all people involved in the mozilla project. I am sure we will find a solution for the sqlite3 problem.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:21 am 

diegel wrote:
Hamei, I think it's really bad style to quote me with words I didn't write and never would write.

Okay, sorry. I think they are incompetent buffoons but will shut up about it for at least a week since you ask.

About your tardist, I removed the neko_sqlite3 and your firefox works fine. It seems a touch faster but that could be my imagination. More important, if it doesn't crash as often that would be great.

Altho I have javascript turned off so maybe I'm not a great tester of your fix :D

If you figure out what the other neko 2.0.0.22pre does to avoid the problem, then sqlite3 and fireflop could co-exist ...

Just wondering ... how come you disabled pthreads ?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:16 am 

Diegel, maybe you could patch the firefox shell script in the package to explicitly load the libsqlite3.so from the firefox directories, similar to what I do with an additional wrapper script below. I wouldn't have used this _RLDN32_LIST if I had gotten this to work just with LD_LIBRARY or RUN_PATHS.
Code:
(cd /tmp; _RLDN32_LIST=/usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/libsqlite3.so:/usr/lib32/libC.so:DEFAULT   /usr/nekoware/bin/firefox &)

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:46 pm 

canavan wrote:
Code:
(cd /tmp; _RLDN32_LIST=/usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/libsqlite3.so:/usr/lib32/libC.so:DEFAULT   /usr/nekoware/bin/firefox &)

Thank's for the hint, this diff for /usr/nekoware/lib/firefox-2.0.0.22pre/run-mozilla.sh will work:
Code:
343,345c343
< # Irix
< _RLDN32_LIST=${MOZ_DIST_BIN}/libsqlite3.so:DEFAULT
< export _RLDN32_LIST
---
> #

I will build a new packages with this change next week. I have also to fix a problem with extensions in the new seamonkey.

Is there any more general way to prefer a path for rld?

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 pm 

Update : Used this for a day now and it does seem a little more responsive than the version in nekoware and so far, no crash. One thing I do notice tho is that I am getting those annoying "This script is not responding" popups again. If you have a moment you might ask Pete what he did to disable those .... I don't think it's anything in about:config because that hasn't changed.

Does seem a little better. Thank you. I know this isn't an easy app to get right. If you compile for a broader audience, you might consider dropping back the cpu optimizing flags. Not everyone has an r16k ... (But probably everyone who browses on SGI needs at least that to run Firefox ! )

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

hamei wrote:
If you have a moment you might ask Pete what he did to disable those .... I don't think it's anything in about:config because that hasn't changed.

A lot of it was just cooling off on the optimization - that's why I went back to -O2 (fewer reported problems overall). -O3 is just a bit too aggressive.

All Rights Reserved.