Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

No politics, please.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm 

I have never handled freight shipping before. I went directly to UPS and FEDEX sites and the quotes I received were outrageous. I then tried freightquote.com and it gave me a workable UPS quote. It also listed some cheaper carriers, but I am not at all familiar with any of them. So, can I get some guidance on freight carriers? Also, what class would some used bigiron fall into? I have been using class 85 during my quotes. I am looking to ship a 300lb crated server about 1100miles. Any recommendations on who I should use, and basically, how to handle all of this? thanks!

Image Image

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:07 pm 

Try USPS ;) this is what Jesse use twice when he shipped to me his jumboprawn O2 and the spare LCDs ;)
i only pay 100US$ for the laptop then around 50US$ for the LCDs ;)

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:46 pm 

Craters & Freighters and Forward Air are often mentioned when people talk about shipping big iron and pallets of objects around the US. But I haven't had the need to use either one so far.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:03 am 

My mom runs an online retail business out of her house (Which, based on the amount of boxes around here, is probably huge.) and says that she refuses to do business with UPS or FedEx, because USPS has lower rates.

They're about to close our local USPS though, and mom keeps talking about financial troubles and a ~9% tax hike on us, so right now, considering she almost got laid off from her other job recently, I'm worried about our financial situation.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:11 am 

rem wrote:
Any recommendations on who I should use, and basically, how to handle all of this? thanks!

You just have to call all of them up and get the hungriest one. I used to have good luck with TNT - Bestway but that was in California. It was also in an industrial area and I had a forklift. Plus the Bestway driver was humping the asshole landlord's hot wife, which added that little extra something to using their service :)

Just look up freight or shipping in the yellow pages, call everybody up and say, "I have a 300 lb wooden crate going to the server's graveyard in North Carolina, what's your best price ?" and see who feels like making a buck. If you know anyone in an industrial area it would be a lot easier to ship from there.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:57 pm 

i echo hamei

in general USPS makes the most sense for us->eu shipments esp. for hobby/non-critical shipments

i used to have good luck with bax global for really heavy air/ocean freight us->eu, but i see they sold shop to shenker so do give all of your locals a call.

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:28 pm 

hamei wrote:
rem wrote:
I used to have good luck with TNT

Is that how they move stuff..??

I think you could have moved stuff with explosives and hit destinations with greater accuracy and less damage ... if they really did use dynamite.. TNT is and has been for decades in this country the absolute pits to deal with... I gave up on them many years ago but other people insisted on using them which was always a headache.

R.

開いた括弧は必ず閉じる -- あるプログラマー

:Tezro: :Tezro: :Onyx2R: :Onyx2RE: :Onyx2: :O3x04R: :O3x0: :O200: :Octane: :Octane2: :O2: :O2: :Indigo2IMP: :PI: :PI: :1600SW: :1600SW: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy:
:hpserv: J5600, 2 x Mac, 3 x SUN, Alpha DS20E, Alpha 800 5/550, 3 x RS/6000, Amiga 4000 VideoToaster, Amiga4000 -030, 733MHz Sam440 AmigaOS 4.1 update 1.

Sold: :Indy: :Indy: :Indy: :Indigo: Tandem Himalaya S-Series Nonstop S72000 ServerNet.

@PymbleSoftware
Cortex ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cortex-th ... 11?sk=info
Minnie ---> http://www.facebook.com/pages/Minnie-th ... 02?sk=info
Book ----> http://pymblesoftware.com/book/
Github ---> https://github.com/pymblesoftware
Visit http://www.pymblesoftware.com
Search for "Pymble", "InstaElf", "CryWhy" or "Cricket Score Sheet" in the iPad App store or search for "Pymble" or "CryWhy" in the iPhone App store.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:20 am 

PymbleSoftware wrote:
hamei wrote:
rem wrote:
I used to have good luck with TNT

Is that how they move stuff..??

I think you could have moved stuff with explosives and hit destinations with greater accuracy and less damage ... if they really did use dynamite.. TNT is and has been for decades in this country the absolute pits to deal with... I gave up on them many years ago but other people insisted on using them which was always a headache.

R.

Best joke ever. You have won the Internet, good sir.