Nekochan Net

Official Chat Channel: #nekochan // irc.nekochan.net
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum rules

Any posts concerning pirated software or offering to buy/sell/trade commercial software are subject to removal.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:58 am 

I've been looking at irix.sm for a Fuel, hoping to configure the LSI20320 card to narrow-only operation (since with a 68/50 adapter and 50-way ribbon attached, it stiffs the boot sequence - I suspect problems with unterminated high bytes, as the machine boots normally when the adapter and ribbon are detached).

After the VECTOR lines for key hardware, irix.sm contains a lot of comments on configuration options for LSI and QLogic SCSI cards, using "DEVICE ADMIN" and "DRIVER ADMIN" entries.

According to the info I have found on hwgraph, the hardware matrix will take a configuration option for a device not yet established and if that device is initialised, apply the option. This implies that "DEVICE ADMIN" and "DRIVER ADMIN" entries should be placed in irix.sm before the VECTOR line for ls or ql modules. Is that correct?

Is there a command-line method of generating a report of options in use for given hardware? The IRIX help seems (to a novice) to give routines that might be embedded somewhere in a more complex piece of code, but not a command whose output would be "card X is running with options y set to value z".

TIA,
Andrew

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:05 am 

I just described the configuration mechanism here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16726073 :D

The tunable you're looking for is probably 'ls_scsi_force_narrow'.

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 am 

jan-jaap wrote:
I just described the configuration mechanism here : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16726073 :D

The tunable you're looking for is probably 'ls_scsi_force_narrow'.

It is - and I had (honest! :) searched the forums for "irix.sm". For some reason that link did not show up, so thanks for the reminder. I had read your post on setting IDs, when it came out; it was that which set me on the trail of configuring narrowness in this way - many thanks for the inspiration.

So, key question: did you put your DEVICE_ADMIN lines before or after the VECTOR line for the QL12160 controller?

I suspect this will end in a bit of trial and error. I do have a kernel built with the force_narrow option ready to try, but attaching/detaching the cable is fiddly enough not to try testing in a hurry. I'm also keeping an eye out for a slim enough high-byte terminated 68/50 adapter as an alternative.

Andrew

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 am 

ajw99uk wrote:
So, key question: did you put your DEVICE_ADMIN lines before or after the VECTOR line for the QL12160 controller?

In my irix.sm file I added the DEVICE_ADMIN lines in the comment section *below* the VECTOR line for the 'ls' controllers, and *before* the next section (for the 'ql' family). I suspect it doesn't matter since the option (e.g. 'ls_scsi_force_narrow') contains the module name ('ls').

Currently in commercial service: Image :Onyx2:(2x) :O3x02L:
In the museum: almost every MIPS/IRIX system.
Wanted: GM1 board for Professional Series GT graphics (030-0076-003, 030-0076-004)

Unread postPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:22 am 

jan-jaap wrote:
ajw99uk wrote:

In my irix.sm file I added the DEVICE_ADMIN lines in the comment section *below* the VECTOR line for the 'ls' controllers, and *before* the next section (for the 'ql' family). I suspect it doesn't matter since the option (e.g. 'ls_scsi_force_narrow') contains the module name ('ls').

Thanks - that what the position of the comments on options suggests. Time to re-open the box and try a proper test ...

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:29 pm 

For future reference / note to self: double-check the /hw path to the controller you are trying to configure! a dual channel card shows up as 1a and 1b, whereas you might expect 0 and 1.